BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

06-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Well Texas is the only state to have ever been its own soverign republic with its own currency so I guess anything is possible.

They probably deputized the OP on the 911 call and told him to have at it
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy View Post
'Merica FTW.

In Canada, our cops don't even give chase......
Hahah, so true...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I know right..and then what happend after the cops caught him..story is kinda of lacking
They caught him and put him in the back of the cruiser. Then they came to the parking lot I was in and gave me all of his information and asked me if I wanted to press charges. If I did I would've had to testify in court and all that jazz which I really didn't feel like doing. Him (or his insurance) taking responsibility for the damages he did to my car was enough justice for me.

Guy was an ex army ranger. The last thing I want is some vet with PTSD going to jail for the weekend and thinking about how he's going to kick my ass when he gets out.

The cop on the phone was pretty pissed off though that I didn't press charges. But I'm not the police, nor do I want to make the decision of who should and shouldn't go to jail.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Let's say the story is real, or that the police gave you the right direction...

Be very careful following people, especially in Texas, and especially those who run after hit and runs. It's possible they have warrants, weapon, a desperate situation and things can escalate from a $500-$1000 auto body job to a life and death situation.

Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
They caught him and put him in the back of the cruiser. Then they came to the parking lot I was in and gave me all of his information and asked me if I wanted to press charges. If I did I would've had to testify in court and all that jazz which I really didn't feel like doing. Him (or his insurance) taking responsibility for the damages he did to my car was enough justice for me.

Guy was an ex army ranger. The last thing I want is some vet with PTSD going to jail for the weekend and thinking about how he's going to kick my ass when he gets out.

The cop on the phone was pretty pissed off though that I didn't press charges. But I'm not the police, nor do I want to make the decision of who should and shouldn't go to jail.
The cop was right...I think you should have pressed charges..then you would have been easily setup for the civil suit..FYI the court would automatically issue an order of protection against that guy so he couldnt come near you without getting arrested again..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Let's say the story is real, or that the police gave you the right direction...

Be very careful following people, especially in Texas, and especially those who run after hit and runs. It's possible they have warrants, weapon, a desperate situation and things can escalate from a $500-$1000 auto body job to a life and death situation.

Seriously.

I def. agree. Even though I was following him, I was doing my best to keep a good distance from him. People have bad road-rage in Houston and pretty much everyone packs heat.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Only in TX....

I witnessed something like this couple of years ago with only difference being the car that got hit was disabled.... So I started chasing the other car while dialing 911. The 1st thing 911 operator told me is to pull over NOW! Which I complied, gave the cars description and went on my own business.

I am sure in WA State, they would of charged your for going 80-90 on public roads among with all the other rules that you broke while "chasing" the bad guy.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

M3 is not a good chase car... you can chase someone for how long 200miles?
      06-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
767IJP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Guy drunk or what. Likely realized what he did then it was keeping his ass out of jail on a DWI.
      06-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Quote:
The cop was right...I think you should have pressed charges..then you would have been easily setup for the civil suit..FYI the court would automatically issue an order of protection against that guy so he couldnt come near you without getting arrested again..

I have always wondered how a protective order protects you. If the crazy guy follows you just to intimidate you, then you don't need protection. And if he follows you to kill you, then you're fucked anyway. I guess he would then be arrested for violating the protective order in addition to killing you....
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #33
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
'Merica FTW.

They do only if it involves alcohol and you are right about the police in my case it was the RCMP.

Actual Situation ...

Some 10 years ago I drove south from Edmonton to the US border. Shortly after I passed Calgary on Highway 2 going south a car passed me and continued in front of me, only swaing from lane to lane it was quite evident the driver was intoxicated. I feared for him to leave the highway or worse create a crash and or fatality so I called 911. The 911 operator asked me for my name and contact information then connected me with the RCMP.

The RCMP despatched asked me where I was and told me he would dispatch a unit. Shortly thereafter my cell phone rang and the officer asked me where I was now. We communicated then he said that he would be in my facility within 2 to 3 minutes and for me to flash my headlights when he passes me, at that point the car had passed a truck in front of me and was no longer in my sight. As he said he passed me within 3 minutes I flashed my lights then a minute or so later 2 more RCMP cars passed me at very high speed (all three cars did not have there lights flashing) shortly thereafter I passed all three they had the car under suspect boxed in to the left off the highway all three RCMP crusers by then had there lights flashing.

Highway 2 going south is a one way 2 lane going south and north. The crusers had the suspect boxed in to the center on the grass medium. I stopped shortly thereafter to call the RCMP officer that called me back to inquire if I've done the right thing. He confirmed that I did and thanked me for alerting them. The officer said if need be I would be contacted as a wittiness, this never materialized.

This was the one and only time (in my over 50 years of driving in North America) that I contacted the Police/RCMP or 911 on the road while driving for I feared for the drivers or other drivers live. The driver was driving so iresponcible that one can only describe it like someone walking around on a crowded street with a loaded gun.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
M3 is not a good chase car... you can chase someone for how long 200miles?
Perhaps even less at high speed, then the police would stop you, take your car and licence trow you in jail and the fellow you were chasing gets away

In the USA I always drive within the posted speed limit (well I follow the flow and or go 10% above the posted speed limit). I hate the thought of being stopped and have to spread eagle on the car for the officer

Only once have I been approached by the Highway patrol in the US it was in NY State on my way to NYC. The old clunker I was driving way back then at age 21 was a Oldsmobile 1953 it over heated so I pulled over on the express way. The officer pulled up behind me and informed me that I cannot park here. I told him "Officer please give me 10 minutes and the car will start" he said "That is not possible I will get a tow truck for you" and he left. I waited until I spotted him and the tow truck then started my engine and drove off. I waved at both as they passed me going the other way. I still smile when I think about it today

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #35
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
I def. agree. Even though I was following him, I was doing my best to keep a good distance from him. People have bad road-rage in Houston and pretty much everyone packs heat.
I think the officer meant for you to follow him at normal speed I don't think he meant to deputize you to engage in a chase.

I am reminded of the "Blue Colour Comedy Show" where the Texan Comedian said"

"In Texas we have the death penalty and we use it! We have an express lane, if you kill someone you move right up to the front of the line" I found that part very funny.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #36
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

OP was pretty stupid to follow. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Only in texas (oh and florida of course)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
I have always wondered how a protective order protects you. If the crazy guy follows you just to intimidate you, then you don't need protection. And if he follows you to kill you, then you're fucked anyway. I guess he would then be arrested for violating the protective order in addition to killing you....
Agree.. but just b/c the legal system is flawed we should choose not to participate in it?

I would think if hes in Texas..he has a right to arm himself..guy shows up to his house he calls the cops and if need be protects himself...

Anyways it seems OP only wanted his car fixed..I would sue the pants off the guy
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #38
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree.. but just b/c the legal system is flawed we should choose not to participate in it?

I would think if hes in Texas..he has a right to arm himself..guy shows up to his house he calls the cops and if need be protects himself...

Anyways it seems OP only wanted his car fixed..I would sue the pants off the guy
Seriously considered it.. but man karma's a b&**! I don't want to go through all that litigation anyway. He hit me, I got the cops to catch him, his insurance is paying for the damages. Done deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #39
Captain45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 - SG

You sure you didnt eat a bunch of peyote and flick on GTAIV for a few hours?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #40
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3

I would have followed him for sure at a distance.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #41
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I too am having a hard time believing this. What you are asking us to believe is that the Police allowed you to disobey posted speed limits to give chase to a vehicle that side swiped your car.

If this is true the Police are absolute idiots. If the driver in the Jeep got pissed and decided to run you off the road or even worse brandish a weapon and decided to bust a cap in your ass, they, the Police would be liable.

Even if this didn't happen but you were injured in the pursuit, once again the Police would be liable.

The kicker is you are talking to them on a cell phone...hopefully handsfree cause if no, then another violation.

My only question is what are you smoking, and why aren't you offering us any?

The last thing any Police dept. wants is a vigilante.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #42
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

This is why my Go Pro is mounted in my windshield always. Whenever something of interest happens or whenever a cop gets behind me I flip it on.

I'm surprised 911 had you give chase. I've been involved in a couple chases (witnessed a hit & run) and the 911 operator told me that if the suspect caused an accident that I would be liable and to not give pursuit. I guess it's different in Texas!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #43
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
'Merica FTW.

You say that like its a bad thing. High speed pursuits almost always end bad for innocent people and property. This is why we have a system in place to identify people. It's called license plates.

I'm all for no chases unless its absolutely neccissary for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #44
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
'Merica FTW.

I know a lot of departments that have a no chase policy...... Around here only the troopers are allowed to but have to GET PERMISSION from their CO before pursuing and it has to be something serious to do so.....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread