BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-06-2017, 03:11 AM   #1
ganz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 "Stripper"

do88 DCT Cooler install w/ pics

Just wanted to share with folks some pictures of the do88 installation. Some background: I stupidly purchased the “Big Pack” do88 kit but without the DCT cooler figuring it was unnecessary. A year passes by and there were enough stories of folks overheating their transmissions that I felt it was a worthwhile upgrade to keep the DCT operating optimally. For those that might be on the fence – just buy it all and save on shipping and customs. My car is a daily driven 2011 E90 M3 with about 48K miles . Though BMW claims DCTs are lifetime fill, I definitely sensed more jerkiness, noise and hesitation as the miles added up. So as part of the installation I picked up the 6L of DCT fluid and drain bolts.

I am in San Diego, so usually I would have to go to OC or LA for this work but I discovered that a forum member on E90post ( Jeef ) had finally opened his own shop called SD Garage in Escondido. He did excellent work on my 335is DCT and has helped many local BMW owners out. His rates were reasonable enough that for me it didn’t warrant the trip north.

I want to also add that do88 for being in Sweden got the parts to me in 2 business days – insane!

So on to the install…
First was to inspect the new cooler. It comes packaged in foam with all the parts necessary for installation.

The carbon duct is also very nice and is clearcoated.

Car on the lift and fluid draining

OEM DCT Cooler

It’s shocking how much bigger the do88 cooler is in comparison to the stock one. Easily twice the overall surface area.

New Cooler installed! The duct is flared much larger to accommodate the cooler.

The installation requires modification of the fender liner. We were trying to think of a fancy way to add new vents, but ultimately chose to do it the old fashioned way…

The installation went very smoothly. Jeef filled the cooler with fluid in advance and also performed the prescribed “warm up” to get the fluid to circulate but ultimately did not need more than 5L. He took the car out for a shakedown and monitored the transmission module temps. With hard driving he did not see it exceed 200 degrees (don’t ask me if this is the clutch or the oil – we weren’t sure either). The most immediate benefit was changing the fluid as I could sense much smoother and quieter operation of the transmission.

Cons? Well the cooler is now very visible from outside and there is carbon on just one of my two ducts. Not sure how long before the OCD kicks in and I get the eventuri intake to balance it out.

Overall I am very happy with the setup and having some peace of mind for the transmission. Do88 makes some serious cooling hardware and I am glad I went this route as overall my engine temps are much lower and my power steering fluid is cool enough it no longer spits out of the vent. I will report back in this thread on how the DCT holds up on my next track day.
Appreciate 6
      10-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

It's a spectacular upgrade

Super happy with it. In the thread in my sig you have my impressions after 40 track days
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Nice! This is on my list in the near future for maintenance items. Might be a little overkill for a DD but whatever. I like to be overly cautious.
      10-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Thanks for sharing! d088 is definitely on my list.
      10-11-2017, 02:31 AM   #5
Obi Wong Kenobi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great thread. Thanks for sharing your results!