BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-19-2016, 12:47 AM   #1
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: JZB M3

Mods Mods Mods Why???

So I started out the mods telling myself that I won't go crazy over it. I will just do some minor mods like tint, vinyl wrapping trims, replacing grills and gills and that's about it. But now after I started this mod process I find myself addicted to it. I am on the forums all the time doing research about the car and possible mods. I am done with the wrap, tint, grills and gills but can't make myself stop. Now I want to do the HAS kit, I bought the lux 160s and looking to powder coat or swap out wheels, do a exhaust mod, lips, splitters, diffusers....and the list goes on. My question is why? I had owned a 325i earlier but hardly did any mods to it but with the car I am kind of going crazy. Is it because I am on these forums a lot? Sometimes I wonder if I am losing it and is it worth it...but that's just for a moment, the next minute I am on the look out for the next mod. When will this stop....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah try it with everything else you own
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:15 AM   #3
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Cars generally depreciate and what makes you think all the mods will increase its value? My car is bone stock oem unless you count MPE upgrade. Id rather use that money for gas n maintenances 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:18 AM   #4
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

I've done the same with my M .... I am about to complete all I set out to do but will it end? Yes, the forum is the killer - so many great ideas and mods to keep you going!

I don't think anyone ever thinks mods increase our car's value - it's just an addiction!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:40 AM   #5
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Cars generally depreciate and what makes you think all the mods will increase its value? My car is bone stock oem unless you count MPE upgrade. Id rather use that money for gas n maintenances 😂
Well I don't do it for added value. It's just that I want this car to look as sexy as possible. It's kind of like an addiction..hard to explain
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 03:38 AM   #6
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Do you want the truth? Actually it's the water in here, it's been spiked by the sponsors who surreptitiously have both covertly and overtly used subconscious and conscious brainwashing...
Everything and everyone in here has been infected so you find yourself buying things and doing things that you would never do if you weren't exposed to this dreaded disease. Unfortunately, even this message has subtle brainwashing messages, so feel free to send me all your mods and you'll feel much better tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #7
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp

Lmao I feel you though before I bought the M my wife made me promise no mods anytime soon and that didn't last 1 month
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I work the streets for mod money.
Women pay me for pleasure
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
It's a disease. I've been infected since I was 16. I did my damnedest to keep my 328 stock (now it's getting rebuilt with mods and back to DD duty for the winter). Camaro, Monte Carlo, YZF-R6, now the M. Spent most of my HS-College years standing in my local performance shop staring at parts saving up for the next thing. Like any addiction, it's fun while it lasts and when you look back you wonder how you spent so much haha. Enjoy it!

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Mods, who does mods? I don't count wrapping the trim, CF wrapping the brushed aluminum interior pieces, changing out the roundels to red/black, doing the CF gills, customizing the grills (Black/Chrome M4 "like"), wheel spacers, CF top wrap, CF performance spoiler with Melbourne paint matched lip, CF hood stripes, Dinan CAI, Borla exhaust, etc. I just like making it so that it doesn't look like everyone else's M3. You only have the mod "bug" if you call them mods. I like to refer to them as "aesthetic enhancements"...LOL

Surprisingly, this is the first car that I haven't done any "real" performance mods to (s/c, meth, etc.). I love the balance of the car and am afraid to throw it off in any direction. Plus, I was constantly fixing my last significantly modified car (2004 Saleen Mustang, Terminator Motor, KB 2.8H s/c, blah, blah, blah). It was putting down 620 at the wheels on only 14lbs of boost, but I was constantly fixing the "next weakest link"...

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have an addict mentality with car mods. It's all I think about until I convince myself that I need the parts and I buy them. M
Fortunately, this is the only area of this in my life.
      08-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #12
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

I must be boring or easy to please because I've been content with white angel eyes and black kidney grills as my only "mods" (I know they're not really mods) in 3 years
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestm3 View Post
Mods, who does mods? I don't count wrapping the trim, CF wrapping the brushed aluminum interior pieces, changing out the roundels to red/black, doing the CF gills, customizing the grills (Black/Chrome M4 "like"), wheel spacers, CF top wrap, CF performance spoiler with Melbourne paint matched lip, CF hood stripes, Dinan CAI, Borla exhaust, etc. I just like making it so that it doesn't look like everyone else's M3. You only have the mod "bug" if you call them mods. I like to refer to them as "aesthetic enhancements"...LOL

Surprisingly, this is the first car that I haven't done any "real" performance mods to (s/c, meth, etc.). I love the balance of the car and am afraid to throw it off in any direction. Plus, I was constantly fixing my last significantly modified car (2004 Saleen Mustang, Terminator Motor, KB 2.8H s/c, blah, blah, blah). It was putting down 620 at the wheels on only 14lbs of boost, but I was constantly fixing the "next weakest link"...
That's a good perspective to look at it from. That Saleen must have been a beast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'EM View Post
That's a good perspective to look at it from. That Saleen must have been a beast to drive.
Yep, right up to the point when it wasn't! Did John Force burn-outs like you read about. Big problem was the fuel rail pressure sensor. It is a $100 sensor that essentially has a bladder in it to regulate the FRP. Problem was, if you hit the rev-limiter it would blow. That damn thing would bounce off the rev-limiter instantly when the tires broke loose. I used to have a spare FRPS in my glovebox! Trying to come off it when the tires broke loose (often ) was damn near impossible...

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #15
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

I'm about close to 40k deep into "ruining" my E92

Purchase price not included, obviously.
      08-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #16
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep

Hey, gotta pay to play ( and pay, and pay, and pay...LOL)

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #17
jt10mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'EM View Post
So I started out the mods telling myself that I won't go crazy over it. I will just do some minor mods like tint, vinyl wrapping trims, replacing grills and gills and that's about it. But now after I started this mod process I find myself addicted to it. I am on the forums all the time doing research about the car and possible mods. I am done with the wrap, tint, grills and gills but can't make myself stop. Now I want to do the HAS kit, I bought the lux 160s and looking to powder coat or swap out wheels, do a exhaust mod, lips, splitters, diffusers....and the list goes on. My question is why? I had owned a 325i earlier but hardly did any mods to it but with the car I am kind of going crazy. Is it because I am on these forums a lot? Sometimes I wonder if I am losing it and is it worth it...but that's just for a moment, the next minute I am on the look out for the next mod. When will this stop....
Yep. understand...me too...next up for me (performance first) is x-pipes (Borla), Underdrive pulley, Tune, DCT Tune. Already have CAI.

Handling kit...(probably Dinan Stage 3)

After that...probably engine re-build

rear diffuser, CF hood, trunk,

Personalize interior

Asphalt eating tires rear...

Upgrade lights

Retrofit for rear camera

Upgrade CIC or retro...

and it goes on and on...
2001 330xi SOLD
Appreciate 0