BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

09-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Just find one of the self serve places with pressure washers. It's rare that I ever need to scrub anything with a pressure washer. If I do need to I just do it while the timer for the wash is still running. You paid for the time so who cares? I've only had to use a mitt after a track day to remove rubber.

By me I can get a great wash done with about $5. I enjoy the time spent as well.
If that is how you wash your car, it will never be truly clean. Just spraying water won't take off the contaminants and you'll end up with water spots if you don't dry it. If you do dry it, you'll scratch and swirl up the paint.

I think most of us like our cars to be in showroom condition - that is what we mean by "washed".
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
If that is how you wash your car, it will never be truly clean. Just spraying water won't take off the contaminants and you'll end up with water spots if you don't dry it. If you do dry it, you'll scratch and swirl up the paint.

I think most of us like our cars to be in showroom condition - that is what we mean by "washed".
There is soap as well. You can change what you're spraying your car with. I use a high powered rinse first, then high powered soap wash, then repeat high powered rinse. I imagine the soap being used isn't the highest quality, but it certainly isn't going to be any worse than any other local car wash. I just make sure to wax every few months.

Obviously I dry the car afterwards. I just figured that was a given. I use a few of the waffle towels. Then I clean my wheels, windows, etc. I think using a wash mitt can create all sorts of swirl marks. It isn't just caused by drying.

There is generally space to perform any drying/detailing on the premises of any decent self serve wash. In my area the self serve car wash seems to be the choice of most enthusiasts. Most of the cars being washed there are by guys with their toys. I don't know about you but I don't trust the local car wash and the dudes getting paid $7/hour. They've scuffed my wheels enough times and generally are dragging a huge brush all over the paint.

So yes... my car is "washed" and looks great. Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
There is soap as well. You can change what you're spraying your car with. I use a high powered rinse first, then high powered soap wash, then repeat high powered rinse. I imagine the soap being used isn't the highest quality, but it certainly isn't going to be any worse than any other local car wash. I just make sure to wax every few months.

Obviously I dry the car afterwards. I just figured that was a given. I use a few of the waffle towels. Then I clean my wheels, windows, etc. I think using a wash mitt can create all sorts of swirl marks. It isn't just caused by drying.

There is generally space to perform any drying/detailing on the premises of any decent self serve wash. In my area the self serve car wash seems to be the choice of most enthusiasts. Most of the cars being washed there are by guys with their toys. I don't know about you but I don't trust the local car wash and the dudes getting paid $7/hour. They've scuffed my wheels enough times and generally are dragging a huge brush all over the paint.

So yes... my car is "washed" and looks great. Thanks for the tips.
Most of the time drying is what causes swirls and scratches. Wash mitts are lubricated by car wash so they are safer for paint. Drying towels are not and they also drag dirt across the paint if you miss a spot and wipe it with the towel.

As for washing, I use a hose, buckets, wash it outside and pull indoors to dry and detail out of the sun. No way is someone else touching my car besides me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Most of the time drying is what causes swirls and scratches. Wash mitts are lubricated by car wash so they are safer for paint. Drying towels are not and they also drag dirt across the paint if you miss a spot and wipe it with the towel.

As for washing, I use a hose, buckets, wash it outside and pull indoors to dry and detail out of the sun. No way is someone else touching my car besides me.
Yes, I agree that having a hose and multiple buckets in your own space is the best bet, but the point of the thread was that OP doesn't have a place to do a hose and bucket wash. That's why we're suggesting alternatives...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I'll make a video in the next week showing how Ecosmart is used:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Waterles...htm&Click=5104
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
...I think using a wash mitt can create all sorts of swirl marks. It isn't just caused by drying.
You're right that not only drying causes swirls, but using a two bucket method with a quality wash mitt likely won't cause any swirls.

The way you described washing your car is the exact reason cars get swirls on them. I'm sure your car looks good from a slight distance, but upon closer inspection I would be willing to bet money the paint has it's share of defects.

I stick with my suggestion for the OP... Find one of those places with the pressure washer/hoses, bring your own gear, and hand wash it yourself. Just try not to go during a super busy time, or they might get on you for hand washing.

Or you can spend a little extra coin and go with the waterless wash system from Chemical Guys.

At the end of the day, it's your ride so do what you feel comfortable with.
      09-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
Bulb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post

I'll probably try out exactly what you do in that video after you post it haha, seems like the best solution for my situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
aray
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP 6MT MG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post

I'm curious, do you prefer this waterless method over rinseless? I always think of rinseless as being generally a tad bit safer than waterless. Wouldn't the Hose Free Ecowash rinseless product be safer for the OP than going full waterless?
Appreciate 0