BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #23
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
This is with the GoPro mounted to the rear bumper with the stock exhaust and MRF X pipe. The vid was recorded at night so not much visual and this is all about the sound anyway. I didn't edit the video so it is a few minutes long (sorry about that). It gets a little better at the end. There is no WOT in this video; when I was about to go WOT I spotted an Officer so...

Note:
In the first video above,
1.) GoPro has the sound wind reducing rear cover
2.) GoPro was mounted at the rear quarter panel.

In this video:
1.) GoPro does not have the wind reducing rear cover
2.) GoPro is mounted on the rear bumper

Doesn't really sound like the same car?

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

sounds like a ferrari
      09-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

it doesnt sound bad to me...sounds like a european exotic but its abit loud.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #26
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
sounds just a bit quieter than mine... but i have arqray mufflers. fully catless x-pipe but custom made.

personally, i like it... i was actually going to switch to stock muffler temporarily to see how much quieter it is than my arqray mufflers.

edit: i got nothing but compliments at the track this past weekend. everyone said my car sounded the best among all of them. :blush:
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

ive gotten compliments on mine as well at the track with the stock axle back and challenge mid pipe. the sound is pretty raw compared to stock but i like it. it isnt very bassy at all which is what a lot of axle back systems provide.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #28
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

So how much louder is it with no cat's compared to an aftermarket x-pipe that keeps the primary cat and deletes only the secondary?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #29
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

That I don't know. I have high flow secondaries and no primary cats and stock axle back and its quite a bit louder than stock. At some point I may pick up an aftermarket axle back but for now I'm happy with the results.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #30
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
The matching MRF exhaust will fix it and clean it up with a unique and classy sound. The last recording with the GoPro mounted to the rear bumper sounds better because the low are captures well. But only the high rasp is heard in the cabin and it sounds extremely thin. My guess is that as the sound spread out, all one hears is the thin rasp. I won't know until I get someone to drive while i spectate. Even then I would like the cabin experience to be better... MRF exhaust. I also can't drive it hard because it gets too loud an feel like as

This goes to show that recordings are very deceptive. I think manufacturer should do multiple placements similar to what the MRF clips show; inside car, outside car and a drive away here the mic sits still. Actually they did not post a clip of the car driving away.

I am doing this to get different perspectives so that we can train our ears to get a better sense for what to expect when purchasing and exhaust system unheard in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post
sounds just a bit quieter than mine... but i have arqray mufflers. fully catless x-pipe but custom made.

personally, i like it... i was actually going to switch to stock muffler temporarily to see how much quieter it is than my arqray mufflers.

edit: i got nothing but compliments at the track this past weekend. everyone said my car sounded the best among all of them. :blush:
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #31
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
That is helpful to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
ive gotten compliments on mine as well at the track with the stock axle back and challenge mid pipe. the sound is pretty raw compared to stock but i like it. it isnt very bassy at all which is what a lot of axle back systems provide.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #32
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Oh it gets much louder. Everyone in the Wa go outside and I will do a wot. You'll hear it if you are in the same state lol: no more joy until it quiets down with the muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
it doesnt sound bad to me...sounds like a european exotic but its abit loud.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #33
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I have no idea. I can swap out the x pipe till the muffler arrives or try the matching HFCs. I wouldn't mind cutting down the smell; sooner or later I'll be in front of an Officer how will smell it and might smack me.

Anyone know if the volume is reduced!with HFC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
So how much louder is it with no cat's compared to an aftermarket x-pipe that keeps the primary cat and deletes only the secondary?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #34
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
The matching MRF exhaust will fix it and clean it up with a unique and classy sound. The last recording with the GoPro mounted to the rear bumper sounds better because the low are captures well. But only the high rasp is heard in the cabin and it sounds extremely thin. My guess is that as the sound spread out, all one hears is the thin rasp. I won't know until I get someone to drive while i spectate. Even then I would like the cabin experience to be better... MRF exhaust. I also can't drive it hard because it gets too loud an feel like as

This goes to show that recordings are very deceptive. I think manufacturer should do multiple placements similar to what the MRF clips show; inside car, outside car and a drive away here the mic sits still. Actually they did not post a clip of the car driving away.

I am doing this to get different perspectives so that we can train our ears to get a better sense for what to expect when purchasing and exhaust system unheard in person.
That's why i've never been a fan of depending on video recordings of sound. totally deceptive. although, living in socal i have the benefit of having multiple exhausts to hear in person. I still went a different route from anything i heard in person.

good luck on your quest to curing your sound issues.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #35
Tomislav
Panty Schtuffer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
1997 BMW 323i  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [8.00]
I think it sounds alright, I want to do the same, keep the rear box but ditch the centre mufflers, so from me
.: 1994 E36 M3 3.0 - 19" BBS LM Reps, Bilsteins :.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #36
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
I think it sounds alright, I want to do the same, keep the rear box but ditch the centre mufflers, so from me
lot cheaper route this way as well but you get all the added hp from getting rid of the cats.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #37
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Here are combinations to consider:
1.) sounds good from outside the car and horibble in the cabin?
2.) sounds good to you from the cabin and but you don't like how it sounds outside 1.)
3.) sounds good both ways

To me my incomplete setup falls under 1. Obviously we all prefer 3.
The fact is inside and outside are totally different. What I hear inside is more about my enjoyment.

I dear or the inside as a mixed bag and overall a dislike for me because the sound is very thin, tinny and raspy. The perfect description for gears 1 and 2 is the sound of a trombonist letting out a pitiful slur. Beyond that point the sound is sweet but more flute like if you are easy on the pedal. If you give it a tad too much throttle is sounds like a bunch of soda cans are in the muffler, but that sound is only from the cabin perspective. Outside the cabin, it sounds like I am at wot but going nowhere.

I would say the most accurate sound is my first video played from the iPhone with speakers on. That sound is 90% accurate. Headphones on is what the camera is picking up, not your ears.

So I agree that it sounds pretty raw and menacing like a nascar from the outside.

When taking off next to another car like a mustang, Porsche, audi or Benz I avoid that sinking feeling by feathering the pedal and holding up traffic to avoid the bastardization. Volume should be balanced with elegance. I don't mean to offend anyone's choice but I know we can agree on a good solo whether it be jazz, rock or country. But damn, most of the audience know when some solos are effd up and out of key, or just overdone for the song.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #38
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Yes I was informed. I had no intent on going with the oem muffler. Bit I couldn't help trying it out this way (1/2 done). I shouldn't be complaining as I do have an awesome x pipe. At the least, others can get a feel for what to expect from an x pipe and oem and it is not all bad as some love it. It's just not a good match for me. Some love the bass and some the Ferrari sound. I am not a lover of the Ferrari sound on an m3. It can be reminiscent of a Ferrari sound but not too much. Someone tell me to stfu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
I tell everyone the same thing: The stock muffler paired with a fully cat-less midsection is either going to be love or hate, there is almost no grey area in the middle.

Any cat-less midsection I have installed with a stock muffler, I have personally disliked it while many people say they love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #39
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
If you're in 100 mile radius let me know and you can hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
lot cheaper route this way as well but you get all the added hp from getting rid of the cats.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #40
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

you dont need to stfu you have valid points and are aware that your opinion isnt the only one or the right one. that seperates you from most.

Appreciate 0