BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

01-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #89
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Like the front, but just donīt like the rest of it.
Image is something that people seldom agree on and the TT is no different, I happen to love it's looks. After owning a Mk1 TT to me the new version was a definite moving in the right direction, turning it into a more manly car than it previously was.

The fact that the new TT-S happens to drive so well only strengthen it's case as a man's car. I would say that very many people will be surprised by the TT-RS if it's performance figures are to be believed.

I might have a more niche market to the M3 Coupe, having less rear space and boot room but it looks more special both inside and out and to many that is as important as how the thing drives, if it combines all of this with M3 ability then Audi are on to a winner.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #90
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Can't say whether or not this is indeed true but I heard today that the TT-RS is due in Europe mid 2009 and there should be nothing to stop it making it to the States as the engine is very efficient.

Also the output figures is as good as expected, 350hp and 400Nm, so it will match the M3/RS4 in all the performance disciplines you care to mention.

Better looking than both and cheaper as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #91
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Image is something that people seldom agree on and the TT is no different, I happen to love it's looks. After owning a Mk1 TT to me the new version was a definite moving in the right direction, turning it into a more manly car than it previously was.

The fact that the new TT-S happens to drive so well only strengthen it's case as a man's car. I would say that very many people will be surprised by the TT-RS if it's performance figures are to be believed.

I might have a more niche market to the M3 Coupe, having less rear space and boot room but it looks more special both inside and out and to many that is as important as how the thing drives, if it combines all of this with M3 ability then Audi are on to a winner.
Agreed entirely Footie!
      01-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #92
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
My experience with the 6sp manual and DCT M3s are limited, however I drove them back to back on the same route.
The DCT car was new (09), just arrived to the dealer, ODO was about 50miles if I recall correctly, the manual was way older (08) already had the 1200miles service.
The manual felt more alive, again I was not allowed to rev them north of 4500rpm. (I did a few times on the 6sp)
The DCT car was smooth, gear changes fast, etc, BUT it had some hesitation from red lights and just did not feel as fast, it felt like the car is dampened, dull somewhat. Again it was a very new car, plus I surely would need more time to get used to the DCT.
I am afraid of the service issues with the DCT. But I would love to try though. Right now I am ordering the manual car.
Comparing the M3 manual gearbox/shifter combo to Audi the Audi is better, crisper more positive engagement, not as rubbery etc. I hope the M3 gearbox will loosen up and loose some of it's rubbery caracter.

Overall, I liked the M3 but was disapointed the same time. I was expecting more, more of a sport car, like Porsche based upon reviews etc. Still better than Lexus IS-F or the MB C63.

"Are you kidding, by a Prius and dont be an Al Gore."

I would rather be Al Gore than G.W. Bush!! And yes, I am buying a Chevy Volt as soon as it's available. (or a Fisker Karma)
You'd rather be the one that lost. hmm. It seems you and him have some things in common, your selfrighteous talk about hating polution yada yada, all the while purchasing a vehicle that is subject to a gas gussler tax. This is as hypocritical as Al Gore's private jet. What a joke. It sure feels good talking green this, and global warming that, as long as it doesnt particularly effect MY LIFE. How pathetic!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #93
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

well, I have not purchased the M3 yet, and with all honesty, the milage is the only thing holding me back. I feel bad about pollution, and try to do my best to avoid it, but still would like to own a sport car. I liked the TT-S a lot and trying to work around the backseat issue. Unfortunately the Porsche 911 (with better milage) is way too expensive for me.
I do not really understand your sentence: "You'd rather be the one that lost."???
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #94
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
well, I have not purchased the M3 yet, and with all honesty, the milage is the only thing holding me back. I feel bad about pollution, and try to do my best to avoid it, but still would like to own a sport car. I liked the TT-S a lot and trying to work around the backseat issue. Unfortunately the Porsche 911 (with better milage) is way too expensive for me.
I do not really understand your sentence: "You'd rather be the one that lost."???
Thanks
I believe the TT-RS is due in Europe some time towards the middle of this year, if true would that not mean a Autumn/Fall launch in the States?

If the rear space can be overcome it be worth holding out for as it's only a 2.5L engine and being turboed it should also be a lot more economical than the M3. Price might be the problem as Audis are a lot more expensive in the US than almost everywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #95
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Thanks
hmm, are you sure the Porsche is way too expensive, base 2009 911 in my country is currently $95 grand while the E92 M3 is $90.4. I donīt mean to say that they share the same prices in the USA but the price difference must be about the same, yes? Besides, if you like the DCT youīll love the new Porsche transmission, it is FAST!
      01-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #96
attila
Captain
Rep

I am actually declining my M3 purchse today. And the car is up for anyone to grab. I already put down 1 grand, so it will be around $60K.

I would like to have the M3 on a track, but in everyday driving the TT-S is more of a sport car. and even on the track is not that shy of the M3 performance.
Plus, it costs $12k less. (The M3 would have cost almost 25% of my aftertax income!!)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #97
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Latest of the TT-RS testing at Nurburgring.

Notice how low it sits to the ground in the second photo and the choice of alloys in the first (aka RS6), does this mean it's going to wear 20" alloys or is this the similar style on in 19" form.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #98
attila
Captain
Rep

The wheels look very similar to the current TT-S seven spoke design.

I again heard conflicting new on the TT-RS engine. Some now say it will be the S4 V6 TFSI supercharged engine due to cost issues.
There are already ECU tunings available for the TT-S north of 300bhp. So I am not sure the TT-RS will be so much better than a chipped TT-S.

(I am still going with the M3 though, it was put into production this week!)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #99
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The wheels look very similar to the current TT-S seven spoke design.

I again heard conflicting new on the TT-RS engine. Some now say it will be the S4 V6 TFSI supercharged engine due to cost issues.
There are already ECU tunings available for the TT-S north of 300bhp. So I am not sure the TT-RS will be so much better than a chipped TT-S.

(I am still going with the M3 though, it was put into production this week!)
Unless they change the bulkhead and don't mount the engine transversely it isn't possible, the vee on the S4's V6 is too wide. I would imagine that reworking the bulkhead, floor-pan and adopting the normal torsen quattro system would be more expensive than using an engine which is effectively an TT-S engine with an extra cylinder stuck on the end.

Though given the choice I would prefer the S4 engined setup.

P.S.
You might be right about a tuned TT-S but as is the case with a chipped 335i vs an M3, there is more to an RS model than a bit more power.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #100
attila
Captain
Rep

I read this on Edmunds not too long ago:

"Early rumors suggested a turbocharged five-cylinder, but the recent introduction of Audi's new 3.0-liter TFSI V6 suggests otherwise. The new supercharged motor is expected to develop roughly 300 horsepower in U.S. trim, a number that would put the TT-RS a solid notch above the TTS with its turbocharged 265-hp inline-4."

You maybe right about other differences between the TT-S and TT-RS.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #101
Surge50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

I love the way the TT-s looks. But I think the 2.0T is a mistake on their part. Its still nice and quick, but just not enought to be starting @ $45K. Now the 3.0T is a different story. Not sure if the RS will be in the US though.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #102
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Not really,If i wanted a 2 seater it'd be a Nissan 370Z,a well balanced and light car that you can spend less than $10,000 on and it'll be a hard car to beat and still under $45,000 with performance mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #103
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Thanks
You know a prius leads to more pollution than the M3 when all is said and done right? Sorry for the thread jack, those pics you just posted footie look pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #104
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
WRONG

The TT has the same number of seats and seatbelts as the E92, admittedly the rear seats are small and only really suitable for small adults/children. Think of the interior space of the TT as slightly better than a 997 and you will get my drift, to many people the M3 is a direct rival to the 997 so surely if the TT-RS is all but matching the 997C2 in performance and ability then surely it too is a rival for not only the Z4M like E90ice said but the M3 as well.

Logical really.
It's a 2 seater + 2 jump seats. Where do adults in the back put their legs?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #105
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Latest of the TT-RS testing at Nurburgring.

It looks good enough that now, I want to test drive one.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #106
attila
Captain
Rep

I've seen the new 370Z a week ago and the interior compare to the TT-S is very cheap. Not the same league.
I really wanted to get the TT-S but thanks to my wife, I will end up with the M3. (Back seats and the fact that wife cannot accept anything but true old-fashioned manual. US TT-S is DSG only.)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #107
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Doesn't your head have to be 2" lower than the glass in the back if you want to sit back there? Yikes.

I'm interested in the performance numbers. I wonder when we can expect full tests.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #108
attila
Captain
Rep

There is no way a normal size (at least 5'5'') adult can use the back seats of the TT-S. I REALLY tried. ( I am 5'10'') Not comfortable even for a 7year old if someone sits in the front. I felt I potentially could put a child seat for a toddler in the back when the front seat pushed forward but even that is difficult. The TT-S is really a two seater. (The 911 is somewhat lager in the back.)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #109
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

I m worrying abit about the TT-RS... might be as fast as the m3? i wouldnīt like it, but so what?

pollution-aspect of cars:
its ridicolous to complain about the pollution produced by cars... we speak about ~ 2% of the polution made by mankind.

You might save a lot more polution by efficient powerplants / good isolation for houses / efficient cargo-ships and so on...

we have these "green" discussions in way too often. most arguments are just WEAK but pushed by ideologys and polemic
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #110
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

The comparo doesn't make sense; A genuine 2+2 (with room to spare) vs a 2+0.5.
Appreciate 0