BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Stoptech Trophy feel

i only have 500 miles on my new trophy bbk with the ST perf pads and I have read they do not have the initial bite the stock system had but what I am feeling is what seems to be a small dead spot then plenty of brakes. I got use to it and can work with it fine but I am curious if that is common to the system or it is just a matter of a pad change to get better initial bite?
      08-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
i only have 500 miles on my new trophy bbk with the ST perf pads and I have read they do not have the initial bite the stock system had but what I am feeling is what seems to be a small dead spot then plenty of brakes. I got use to it and can work with it fine but I am curious if that is common to the system or it is just a matter of a pad change to get better initial bite?
Did you bed the pads in properly?I have never noticed that issue when I use the supplied street pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
grussell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SG E92 M3

I would say the pedal is more progressive. I felt the stock brakes to be too touchy at slow speeds. So far I have only driven them on the street but I like the feel much better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Did you bed the pads in properly?I have never noticed that issue when I use the supplied street pads.
the tech bedded them in for me twice then I did it once more to see if that would help. I am going to have them bleed them a couple more times to see if that changes things. They are working fine and I can get ABS to fire sooner than the stock system. I am just wondering if this is normal. It is not like they are spongy, just seems like the peddle has to travel more before they initially bite.
      08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

My stoptech st60/st40 kit bites much much sooner in the travel than my stock brakes. I actually feel like they bite too soon and too hard. Perhaps you need another bleed. Sometimes it takes a second bleed to really purge the system. Do you have an4 wheel kit?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

I feel the same about my kit. I plan to do another bleed to see if that is the solution. I've done 2 bleeds so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

When properly bedded in with no air in the lines, the Stoptech with Stoptech SP pads should be much more responsive than the stock M3 brakes.

Some of our customer actually wanted the less aggressive semi-metallic pads that Stoptech offers to reduce some of the initial bite.

The best way I can put it is I go from braking with my foot to braking with my toes!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
My stoptech st60/st40 kit bites much much sooner in the travel than my stock brakes. I actually feel like they bite too soon and too hard. Perhaps you need another bleed. Sometimes it takes a second bleed to really purge the system. Do you have an4 wheel kit?

Yes it is st60 and st40. I am going there tomorrow to check why the tpm malfunction warning is popping up. Most likely a battery. Fluid is cheap, I will have them bleed them again.
      08-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Yes it is st60 and st40. I am going there tomorrow to check why the tpm malfunction warning is popping up. Most likely a battery. Fluid is cheap, I will have them bleed them again.
I went through the same thing a year and a half ago with the installation of my ST60/ST40 kit. Here are the links:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501522

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503833

It's probably a combo of needing another bleed, doing another bed-in following StopTech's instructions on their website, and just getting used to the feeling of the different setup. I can reassure you that I now love the feeling of the StopTechs. I don't notice a dead zone at the top of the pedal travel anymore, and they've done spectacularly well over 12+ track events. For this track season I've been running Pagid pads full-time over the last few months, and if anything, they have too much initial bite when cold on the street. I wouldn't run Pagids full-time on the street if you're not going to the track; a good responsive pedal feel is there with the ST Street Perf pads as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
grussell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Which Pagids are you running?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
Which Pagids are you running?
RS29s all-around
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
grussell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Paradocs98
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
Thanks, Paradocs98
Off-topic, but is that your Porsche racer for your icon? It's beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
grussell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It was. I sold it 3 years ago when I stopped racing.

Thanks! It was an amazing car!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
kartracer12
Private
Rep
Drives: e90M3 White

I just installed a Stoptech ST60/ST40 BBK on my car for first time. After 1st weekend I to noticed a dead zone initially and then a strong bite. I am running PF01 pads with Stoptechs but ran stock setup before with Carbotech XP10s. It took me a full day to get used to it but by day two I dropped my time 2.5 seconds over the stock setup.

I will try the bleed process again and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of the advice guys! They have been bled again and I will follow stoptech`s bed in procedure tomorrow when I pick it up. I am looking forward to the results.
      08-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

I think pads definitely have an influence. I've run the pagid rs-29 and like everyone has said, they're great pads, no fade, strong initial bite. Been running carobtechs lately (1/2 the price) and initial bite is noticeably less but overall braking performance unchanged. Believe there is a "style" to the pad and that may be what you are feeling, just a thought...
      08-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep

After being bled and bedded in again I can say that the Trophy kit is money well spent. The travel before bite is about the same as stock when cold and can pop your eyes out of the socket once they warm up. I can't imagine how hard they hook with a more aggressive pad like the Pagid's. I am afraid to go with a more aggressive pad with the PSS's I am currently running because I can get ABS to fire pretty easily with street tires and the ST Pads. Now the true test will be how much better thermal capacity they have over the stock setup under track conditions. Then I need to start saving for some TE37's and start the search for the right rubber and pad combo to suit my track needs. Love this Hobby!
      09-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep

I used them on the track for the first time. I arrived just in time for the drivers meeting as always and whatever group I may be in at a given track it always seems that my group is first on the track after the meeting. So I did not have time to do a pad swap right then so I went out with the ST performance pads. I was on a track I haven't been to in 10 years so I wasn't that hard on the brakes the first couple sessions. The Trophy kit with its supplied pads was a very noticeable improvement over stock. It initially felt like I had double the stopping power and absolutely no fade in the first session. In the second session I was more comfortable building up more speed and moving up my braking points and the ST pads didn't fade until the end of a 20min session and it was minimal. Finally before the 3rd session I was able to swap the DTC70/60 combo. I am on PSS street tires and it seemed that I could not get the rear up to the same temp as the front but it was only an issue if the car was unloaded in a heavy braking area. I am not going to change anything with the pad and rubber combo until I get more time and a better feel for what I am using for now. Now I need to work on not braking so early so much and over slowing the car. I am happy with the trophy kit, my friend showed me how to swap pads on one corner and I did the rest in no time at all. It helps when you have all of the needed tools right in front of you and it is even easier once you wear the pads down a little. My only complaint about the trophy kit is that it is brand new, only seen about 1000 street miles and two track days and the black paint in the lettering is already cracking off and the bolts for the bridges are starting to warp from the heat and I was on a tight technical track that is not that hard on the brakes.
      09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
I used them on the track for the first time. I arrived just in time for the drivers meeting as always and whatever group I may be in at a given track it always seems that my group is first on the track after the meeting. So I did not have time to do a pad swap right then so I went out with the ST performance pads. I was on a track I haven't been to in 10 years so I wasn't that hard on the brakes the first couple sessions. The Trophy kit with its supplied pads was a very noticeable improvement over stock. It initially felt like I had double the stopping power and absolutely no fade in the first session. In the second session I was more comfortable building up more speed and moving up my braking points and the ST pads didn't fade until the end of a 20min session and it was minimal. Finally before the 3rd session I was able to swap the DTC70/60 combo. I am on PSS street tires and it seemed that I could not get the rear up to the same temp as the front but it was only an issue if the car was unloaded in a heavy braking area. I am not going to change anything with the pad and rubber combo until I get more time and a better feel for what I am using for now. Now I need to work on not braking so early so much and over slowing the car. I am happy with the trophy kit, my friend showed me how to swap pads on one corner and I did the rest in no time at all. It helps when you have all of the needed tools right in front of you and it is even easier once you wear the pads down a little. My only complaint about the trophy kit is that it is brand new, only seen about 1000 street miles and two track days and the black paint in the lettering is already cracking off and the bolts for the bridges are starting to warp from the heat and I was on a tight technical track that is not that hard on the brakes.
What fluid are you using?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
What fluid are you using?
ATE Super Blue
      09-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: VF620 M3

Consider to upgrade to the latest Cool Carbon Performance pads for the Stoptech calipers- we love them- attached review from another member that has tried both

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723674
Appreciate 0