BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #89
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I don't need Nasioc.com to know what I drive! I had a lot of fun with my STI , it had a Cobb stage 2! I don't know about the older STIs but my generation was pretty soft for a rally car and I'm not even talking about the engine!

People in the 'know' understand how an STI is/was as close to a production rally car as it gets, everyone else, buys the car because of some motortrend article about 0-60 times...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #90
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I bought my STi because it was the maximum performance I could get at the time (2003) for the money. E46 M3 was out of my price range, or I would have considered it. Evo had a 2 star side impact rating - no thanks. It also didn't hurt that Petter Soldberg was killing it in WRC ; ) Ahhhh...seems like just yesterday. I wish I still had that car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #91
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I bought my STi because it was the maximum performance I could get at the time (2003) for the money. E46 M3 was out of my price range, or I would have considered it. Evo had a 2 star side impact rating - no thanks. It also didn't hurt that Petter Soldberg was killing it in WRC ; ) Ahhhh...seems like just yesterday. I wish I still had that car.
In 2003 a MY 2004 STI with gold wheels was just about the hottest thing you could be driving around. And in those days, it's performance numbers were quite shocking for a 31k car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #92
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post

People in the 'know' understand how an STI is/was as close to a production rally car as it gets, everyone else, buys the car because of some motortrend article about 0-60 times...
I bought that car because I love turbo/AWD cars that come nicely equip and also because I wanted realiability, something I was missing in my previous modified Audis(finally, I ended up braking 4 engines in less then 25000miles ). I never considered the previous STIs because of the cheesy cheap looking ugly interior, I could'nt care less if the car was good at rallying, the important thing for me was that it was fast on the pavement and that I could have fun in the winter like with my previous Audis!

Also, for me 0-60 does'nt mean shit if I'm not the one who did it , most peolple don't know how to launch an AWD car properly, even those STI fanboys!! You would'nt believe how much modified STIs I've seen here in Québec doing some 13sec 1/4miles, I even witnessed a fanboy doing a best time of 13.2 with his 500+hp STI after at least 20 runs while me and my friends were doing consistently 12.5-12.6 with simple stg2s lol

Anyway, all I wanted to say was that even if the STI that you buy at the dealer has a lot of rally DNA, it's not a rally car, it's a sport car with AWD just like an RS4, as opposite of what Tarmac_E46_M3 was saying, it's not because the STI is better then a M3 on gravel and snow that it is worst then M3 on dry pavement, it's just because it's a 35k$ sports car vs a 70k$ sports car !

Last edited by Alex07M3; 06-01-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #93
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
In 2003 a MY 2004 STI with gold wheels was just about the hottest thing you could be driving around. And in those days, it's performance numbers were quite shocking for a 31k car.
In 2003 I was hating and beating on my friends Subarus with my gt28rs A4 but when the 08 model came out I told them; that's an STI I could buy , it only missed a sunroof to be perfect. Then in October of 08 I went and took delivery of my 09 STI with sunroof(also with the least reliable engine I ever had)

Last edited by Alex07M3; 06-01-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #94
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Anyway, all I wanted to say was that even if the STI has a lot of rally DNA, it's not a rally car, it's a sport car with AWD just like an RS4, as opposite of what Tarmac_E46_M3 was saying, it's not because the STI is better then a M3 on gravel and snow that it is worst then M3 on dry pavement, it's just because it's a 35k$ sports car vs a 70k$ sports car !
Alex,

I think you need a mentor. The STI is not and never will be a "Sports Car",

Eitherway, you have a lot of homework to do regarding cars, designs and purposes, especially with respect to chassis and drivetrains.

Comparing an e46m3 to an STI is an apples to oranges comparison. Comparing any S4 or A4 to an STI is completely an apples and oranges comparison on size of engines alone.

Cars like the Mitsubishi Evo, the Ford Focus RS are vehicles that committed significant design efforts to mimicing and replicaterally requirements, designs and technologies. The same can not be said for audi's A4 or S4.

Audi focused more on their road racing success that came from their significant advantage of having evolved quattro systems to compete against against other touring cars Volvo, Type-Rs, etc.. This is all evident as you see that Audi is a complete no-show in recent WRC years (does not meet design requirements), except for their old school quattro sport. Yet, audi has a strong presence in major road tack racing events, this goes back to chassis, design and purpose.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #95
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Alex,

I think you need a mentor. The STI is not and never will be a "Sports Car",

Eitherway, you have a lot of homework to do regarding cars, designs and purposes, especially with respect to chassis and drivetrains.

Comparing an e46m3 to an STI is an apples to oranges comparison. Comparing any S4 or A4 to an STI is completely an apples and oranges comparison on size of engines alone.

Cars like the Mitsubishi Evo, the Ford Focus RS are vehicles that committed significant design efforts to mimicing and replicaterally requirements, designs and technologies. The same can not be said for audi's A4 or S4.

Audi focused more on their road racing success that came from their significant advantage of having evolved quattro systems to compete against against other touring cars Volvo, Type-Rs, etc.. This is all evident as you see that Audi is a complete no-show in recent WRC years (does not meet design requirements), except for their old school quattro sport. Yet, audi has a strong presence in major road tack racing events, this goes back to chassis, design and purpose.
I think we just don't have the same defination of "sport car" , to me it only means a car that has sportyness to it, and that the STI has some!

Also I was'nt comparing an e46 M3 to an STI , I was just saying the the forum member called "Tarmac_E46_M3" was'nt right when he said that the STI was not as fast as an M3 on a road course because the STI was duel purpose(rally and road racing) when in fact , the STI that you buy at your Subaru dealer is simply a road car exept it has lots of rally roots , but still it's built for the road , not the off road! Just like the Audi quattro that you could buy at your Audi dealership in the 80s , it was not a rally car, it was a road car based on a rally car, it had a lot of technologie devellopped for rallying but still was a road car made for peolple driving on roads , not off-road!

To sell the STI with a proper off-road suspension would either compromise the handling on normal road or cost too much for that segment, and Subaru certainly did'nt compromise the on-road capability of the STI to accomodate a tiny small percentage of the STI owners that would want to take their STIs off-road!

The truth is that Subaru is using their rally image to help sell their cars , they don't build rally cars for people to drive on the streets! But yes if you want to build a rally car, the STI is a pretty good base to start with!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #96
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

I owned an '05 ( arguably the best year) and an '08 hatch. As had been said, back in the day, that and the Evo, possibly the R32 was the hottest cars at that price to be in. The performance was ungodly for those brands and even made more expensive brands scratch their heads. Even Top Gear joined in on the rivalries. The '04 was a straight rally car. No radio bare bones. Test drive nearly scared me. What a car!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #97
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
I owned an '05 ( arguably the best year) and an '08 hatch. As had been said, back in the day, that and the Evo, possibly the R32 was the hottest cars at that price to be in. The performance was ungodly for those brands and even made more expensive brands scratch their heads. Even Top Gear joined in on the rivalries. The '04 was a straight rally car. No radio bare bones. Test drive nearly scared me. What a car!
Yah, mine was an 04, and I think the 05s with the updated hubs, wheels, programming, and suspension were the best. Although have not followed it much since I sold mine almost 4 years ago to buy the M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #98
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

The rivalry is dead. You don't even see those cars as often. We got older and got more expensive taste I guess. It was fun times though.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #99
ProsDoc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Any real enthusiast will appreciate both cars for what they are. I had an 07 Sti on stock turbo (stage 2 plus E85) that put down 377whp/365wtrq that was an absolute blast to drive all year long. I showed a couple M3 fanbois my tail lights many times. I love my E92 M3, but I respect Evos/Sti as fast, fun, and relatively inexpensive sports cars too.

Last edited by ProsDoc; 06-01-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #100
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

lol, I also had my STI in the same colors as my M3!
Name:  blacked out sti.bmp
Views: 6052
Size:  900.1 KB
Name:  sparkling graphite.JPG
Views: 7449
Size:  93.8 KB
it would've been funny if I'd also blacked out my old A4!
Name:  a4 2.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  65.3 KB
Name:  a4.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  67.8 KB
Appreciate 0