BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Impression after 250miles

So far I'm loving the car. I love the noise of the V8 and I hope it gets better once the exhaust is in. I have some small quibbles although they are not dealbreakers.

DCT - shifts so smoothly it's just unreal

Throttle response - Acceptable with the Power button off. Good for city cruising when I don't want to scare small children and animals.

EDC - Simply a must. I use it when I approach/leave my driveway so I don't scrape anything

Nav - Finally started using it some more. It's intuitive once you think like how they wanted you to use it but it's still got some serious flaws. Most notably the inability to look up business names. It's such a big omission that I really want to know WHY it was not included.

6FL - I don't like the read speeds on the Corsair 8GB. 32MB/s might be fast but it's not fast enough. I may have to organize my music better so I'd say the verdict is still out on this one

Base stereo - More than sufficient. Spend the $1900 to upgrade your home theater system and it will be money well spent. In fact, I rarely use the radio since I enjoy listening to the sound of the engine.

Comfort Access - Verdict is out with this one too. Sometimes it refuses to work but works well otherwise. I don't know what to say

The overall package of the M3 is superb. I could not be happier with this car. I grin ear to ear every time I'm in it. It's that good.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post

Base stereo - More than sufficient. Spend the $1900 to upgrade your home theater system and it will be money well spent. In fact, I rarely use the radio since I enjoy listening to the sound of the engine.
I completely concur.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

"Base stereo - More than sufficient. Spend the $1900 to upgrade your home theater system and it will be money well spent. In fact, I rarely use the radio since I enjoy listening to the sound of the engine."

I have not heard the base stereo but I'm impressed with the enhanced audio. The enhanced audio is better than Logic 7 I had on my 335 and my 550. I actually listen to more music in my car than at home. HD radio is absolutely brilliant on the enhanced audio system.
      07-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
"Base stereo - More than sufficient. Spend the $1900 to upgrade your home theater system and it will be money well spent. In fact, I rarely use the radio since I enjoy listening to the sound of the engine."

I have not heard the base stereo but I'm impressed with the enhanced audio. The enhanced audio is better than Logic 7 I had on my 335 and my 550. I actually listen to more music in my car than at home. HD radio is absolutely brilliant on the enhanced audio system.
+1

but it depends on the driver and his habbits.
If you dont listen music, its wasted money, if you spend half of your life in the car and listen to the music most time its worth 1900$.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

I have neither the upgraded audio nor any audio-related options like IPod or satellite radio. Unless it is scorchingly hot outside, I drive around with the window down. The orchestra under the hood is better than anything the audio system can muster.

I tried the different settings on EDC but can't really tell any difference yet. Even in the comfort setting the car feels very planted, with minimum body roll, at the bends. It is much firmer, but still comfortable, than in my non-sport-pkg regular E90.

Comfort access works great for me. I used to think it's a $500 gimmick ($1000 in other series!) but after having it I cannot imagine having to go back to unlocking the car by pressing a button or sticking the key into the dashboard. It's so 20th century!

The navigation isn't too bad. I agree with OP in that lacking the ability to look up businesses by name is a glaring mistake. Perhaps because of the notoreity I-Drive gathered I was having such low expectation. The fact that it has a nice big split-screen is enough to impress me. But frankly, a $200 Garmin is a better system, save the smaller screen. I bought the Nav only because I don't want wires dangling around in my car--that's a job for my Valentine (1). I'll hardwire my Valentine (1) once the warranty of the car expires.

Steering is quite light in town, but firms up on the highway. I don't understand why there is less steering feel in low speeds, compared to my regular E90. It is quite nice to poddle around town while steering with one finger though. Once the going gets interesting everything tightens up as if the car knows what the driver wants. PHENOMENAL!

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

i also have a steep driveway which edc setting would you recomend before going up on the driveway?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Set it to the firmest setting "Sport"
Appreciate 0