BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Thumbs down Another reason why I hate BMW Dealerships!

So I have a week left for my factory warranty to run out and I noticed the brakes make a mild squealing noise just before coming to a complete stop. It only happens right before the car stops. Not a big deal but it annoying nonetheless. So I took it to my local dealership and they changed the rear brake pads claiming the rear brake sensor was responsible for the squeal even though I told them it seemed to be coming from the front. I picked up the car yesterday and sure enough, the noise is still there

I called the SA today and this was her response:

We have already changed the rear brake pads and if you want to change the front ones, you will have to pay out of pocket because BMW will not cover it as the brake pads are still within specThat is by far the dumbest explanation I have received. So I asked her again what that had to do anything with the squeal and she said that's the best they could offer since the front pads are practically new.

Makes no frickin' sense
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Um you just got free rear brake pads and now you are mad they wont give you front ones for free too since they have plenty of life left? Seems reasonable...

Maybe the pads have nothing to do with the squealing noise? Try telling the SA that you are not asking for the front pads to be replaced, all you want is the squeal gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Um you just got free rear brake pads and now you are mad they wont give you front ones for free too since they have plenty of life left? Seems reasonable...

Maybe the pads have nothing to do with the squealing noise? Try telling the SA that you are not asking for the front pads to be replaced, all you want is the squeal gone.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

My front brakes were squealing when I press it lightly. The dealer just told me it was normal and try pressing the brake pedal harder.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
av2
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Just roll up your windows.

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

moving (metal) parts... friction... heat... you're gonna get some noise form time to time. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

Ummmm, think you misunderstood. Rear pads had to be changed because they were thinner (under spec) so getting them free under warranty is not anything exceptional. You make it sound like I am looking for freebees here I did explain to them that I want them to take care of the squeal. I never asked them to change the front pads but common sense would dictate that they should first change the front pads to see if it goes away before they start diagnosing the other more expensive components. What pissed me off was that they were not interested in finding out the cause assuming it could only be the pads which they did not want to cover under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal View Post
+1
Read above please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
My front brakes were squealing when I press it lightly. The dealer just told me it was normal and try pressing the brake pedal harder.
Guess that'll work but not the most pleasant ride I would say
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
So I have a week left for my factory warranty to run out and I noticed the brakes make a mild squealing noise just before coming to a complete stop. It only happens right before the car stops. Not a big deal but it annoying nonetheless. So I took it to my local dealership and they changed the rear brake pads claiming the rear brake sensor was responsible for the squeal even though I told them it seemed to be coming from the front. I picked up the car yesterday and sure enough, the noise is still there

I called the SA today and this was her response:

We have already changed the rear brake pads and if you want to change the front ones, you will have to pay out of pocket because BMW will not cover it as the brake pads are still within specThat is by far the dumbest explanation I have received. So I asked her again what that had to do anything with the squeal and she said that's the best they could offer since the front pads are practically new.

Makes no frickin' sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Ummmm, think you misunderstood. Rear pads had to be changed because they were thinner (under spec) so getting them free under warranty is not anything exceptional. You make it sound like I am looking for freebees here I did explain to them that I want them to take care of the squeal. I never asked them to change the front pads but common sense would dictate that they should first change the front pads to see if it goes away before they start diagnosing the other more expensive components. What pissed me off was that they were not interested in finding out the cause assuming it could only be the pads which they did not want to cover under warranty.

Read above please

Guess that'll work but not the most pleasant ride I would say

not always; not uncommon for a rear pad to be changed prior; weird i know, but I don't get the rant. If the pads are w/in spec they won't change em, why should it be assumed they should change em first. Welcome to the world of BMW maintenance; if this is the worst that happens good, otherwise you'll be making a lot of these whiny rants
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

also, the brakes on M sometimes squeak, esp reversing or covering the brake. It doesn't take a mechanic to look at the amount of pad life left through the wheel. take a look at see.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Srs?

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
injustice
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 F15 Space Grey

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading these responses.

The OP said he wanted the squeal gone, he never said anything about wanting the front brake pads replaced. It was the dealer that brought up the fact that they would not change the pads if they were within spec. He said fix the squeal coming from the front, they said we will not replace the brake pads. The response to the request does not make sense.

That being said, ya, you will get some squeal every now and then. I'd just get used to it, it IS a machine.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
injustice
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 F15 Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Get a loud exhaust... warranty is up anyway.
+1 for this solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Brake squeal happens on these cars. I believe it's even mentioned in the M Supplement Manual. Seems to happen most after you've heated them up and then start braking lightly, but yes as Z K mentioned above, pressing harder makes it go away. Unless you're getting constant squeaking at all ambient and brake temperatures and all levels of braking force, I'm pretty sure what you're hearing is normal.

I switched over to StopTech Street Performance pads after I got brake fade and warped rotors (or uneven pad deposits) using the stock pads at my most recent track weekend. They have the same behavior on the street in terms of noise, dust, bite when cold, etc, but they bite harder and last longer on the track. Good all-purpose pad IMHO. Remains to be seen how long they'll last, but if you're coming off Ultimate Service and can't get free OEM pads anymore, I'd consider them. HP Autowerks currently has fronts for $103.95 and rears for $79.95.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by injustice View Post

The OP said he wanted the squeal gone, he never said anything about wanting the front brake pads replaced. It was the dealer that brought up the fact that they would not change the pads if they were within spec. He said fix the squeal coming from the front, they said we will not replace the brake pads. The response to the request does not make sense.

That being said, ya, you will get some squeal every now and then. I'd just get used to it, it IS a machine.
Thank you. Finally someone actually reads my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Get a loud exhaust... warranty is up anyway.
Thanks. Very useful.

Quote:
+1 for this solution.
You bet.

The responses on this forum continue to amaze me.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I too am having a similar problem, and reading this gives me some more insight. My warranty is up in 2 weeks (2008 M3) and I have only 17k miles on my car. I don't have as much of a squeal, but more so like a slighty humming or vibration/rumble when I come to a stop. Its only if I am at the point where I am at 20-15 mph as I come to a stop. I can't remember when it started doing this. Granted, the car stops perfectly fine, its just something that, not only is it heard, but it is felt, as well.

I have an appointment set for Tuesday and I am gonna telll them to check the entire car with a fine toothed comb and fix anything that needs to be fixed.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I too am having a similar problem, and reading this gives me some more insight. My warranty is up in 2 weeks (2008 M3) and I have only 17k miles on my car. I don't have as much of a squeal, but more so like a slighty humming or vibration/rumble when I come to a stop. Its only if I am at the point where I am at 20-15 mph as I come to a stop. I can't remember when it started doing this. Granted, the car stops perfectly fine, its just something that, not only is it heard, but it is felt, as well.

I have an appointment set for Tuesday and I am gonna telll them to check the entire car with a fine toothed comb and fix anything that needs to be fixed.
That's precisely what made me switch brakes pads after the track weekend I mentioned above. If the vibration is coming up through the steering wheel and the force goes UP with speed but DOWN with increased pedal force (i.e. you feel it most when braking lightly around 70 MPH), it's either warped/badly mounted/worn rotors or uneven pad deposits, both solved by new rotors.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
That's precisely what made me switch brakes pads after the track weekend I mentioned above. If the vibration is coming up through the steering wheel and the force goes UP with speed but DOWN with increased pedal force (i.e. you feel it most when braking lightly around 70 MPH), it's either warped/badly mounted/worn rotors or uneven pad deposits, solved by getting new rotors.
I think this describes it perfectly. I also have painted calipers (yellow) but the paint job was exceptional and does not come in contact with any moving parts. Hope the dealer doesn't "blame" this on the vibration. I read that there is a law that states, bluntly put, that if the rotor is warped, they cant blame it on a painted caliper.

This sounds intriguing. I KNOW a car is supposed to have smooth braking, but this just feels different to me.

Will the dealer replace the rotors, you think?

Thanks for the help! OP, glad you posted this.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this describes it perfectly. I also have painted calipers (yellow) but the paint job was exceptional and does not come in contact with any moving parts. Hope the dealer doesn't "blame" this on the vibration. I read that there is a law that states, bluntly put, that if the rotor is warped, they cant blame it on a painted caliper.

This sounds intriguing. I KNOW a car is supposed to have smooth braking, but this just feels different to me.

Will the dealer replace the rotors, you think?

Thanks for the help! OP, glad you posted this.
They replaced my front pads and rotors when I came in with that issue, even though the car only had 10K miles on it and I told them that it started happening after a track weekend. I suspected uneven pad deposits since I keep reading that true warped rotors are incredibly rare (StopTech has a great article on that, actually), but the dealer said they measured the rotors and found them slightly warped. Anyway, I was really happy they took care of it because a new set of front pads and rotors would have been $$$.

I later learned that uneven pad deposit issues will occasionally go away after 6 weeks of light driving (when the pads are cold enough to scrape pad deposits off the rotors rather than add more), but I had only waited 4 weeks before taking it in, so it might have taken care of itself. But I still switched to different pads even though that meant giving up the Ultimate Service pad benefit because I knew the dealer wouldn't keep replacing pads and rotors for me, and I definitely didn't want to be buying new pads and rotors after every track weekend -- plus that wouldn't have solved the brake fade issue. First track weekend on the new pads and no vibration issues afterward.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
They replaced my pads and rotors when I came in with that issue, even though the car only had 10K miles on it and I told them that it started happening after a track weekend. I suspected uneven pad deposits since I keep reading that true warped rotors are incredibly rare (StopTech has a great article on that, actually), but the dealer said they measured the rotors and found them slightly warped. Anyway, I was really happy they took care of it because a new set of front pads and rotors would have been $$$.

I later learned that uneven pad deposit issues will occasionally go away after 6 weeks of light driving (when the pads are cold enough to scrape pad deposits off the rotors rather than add more), but I had only waited 4 weeks before taking it in, so it might have taken care of itself. But I still switched to different pads even though that meant giving up the Ultimate Service pad benefit because I knew the dealer wouldn't keep replacing pads and rotors for me, and I definitely didn't want to be buying new pads and rotors after every track weekend -- plus that wouldn't have solved the brake fade issue. First track weekend on the new pads and no vibration issues afterward.
Excellent read and response--thank you. I will print this out and show the SA when I get there on Tuesday morning. I am hoping this is just a simple "yeah we found the issue, no worries, we will replace them" kind of thing. My dealer (Richmond BMW) has been very good to me since I have had the car since January (gone in for routine maintenance, new battery, Updated DME, etc) and they have done everything for free (minus update) and did everything right. This helps tremendously. Will keep fingers crossed for Tuesday.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:

Ya I misread the OP. He is right to be upset. Maybe just try a different dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Hawk HPS. Problem solved.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I don't have that issue. Just a minor squeal when coming to a stop. It happens when the car is slowing don from 10 mph to a stop. It is embarrassing more than anything else. Not a big deal though. I figured since it was still in warranty I could save myself the trouble of diagnosing it. Now that the dealer refuses to help I'll just remove the pads, look for any uneven wear, lightly wire brush the surface and put it back. Hopefully hat ages car of it
Appreciate 0