BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

M-DCT or short shifter on a M6 M3 for the track

Hello people,
I am about to order a 2009 E90 M3, and currently drive (and track very often) a 2006 Cayman S. I have tested teh new 911 with the Porsche PDK double clutch transmission and must say it is lighting quick in response...only thing I did not like is that there are no paddles! The gears are shifted on + - "buttons" on the steering wheel?? Very strange choice from the people at Stuttgart, but oh well, that does not concern me much now, since I have decided to get the M3 sedan (about to have a kid so I need a four door).
Anyhow, I will probably go to the dealer tomorrow to test the M-DCT (also called DKG??)...I am just not sure how racing this transmission is! I will be tracking my M3 AT least once a month therefore it would suck to be disappointed....not to mention all the hours I have spent perfecting heel and toe techniques.
I have read many threads (and all have been useful, thanks to all) but I would like if possible to hear from someone that races ocationally or is a track rat like myself.
Otherwise, I was just thinking of getting a short shifter and ordering the car with the M6.

BTW, I AM GETTING THE AWESOME BUT VERY EXPENSIVE PERFORMANCE SteeRING WHEEL
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

I have an E92 DCT......if you plan on doing quite a bit of track work, get the 6MT.... bottom line is when pushed hard the DCT does some funny stuff....hopefully the software update will fix it, but we'll see....

With that said I do not regret getting the DCT...because the other 97.68% (4300 miles total, 100 on track) of the time I am not on the track the DCT is better......
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

Hey Brian,
Thanks for the feedback man. I went to the dealer and tested the DCT on a red E92 M3....it is QUICK and once you turn off the traction control, set it to Sport Plus and ...all the other 100 steps you have to go through...well, it was really aggressive. I ended up pulling a 180 in a low traffic highway hahahaha....car has LOADS of power.
You are right though, for street use, the DCT is amazing and it really feels close to the feel you would get while driving a real paddle shit racing transmission in a Ferrari for example. For the track, I think I will stick with the 6M.
I will order my M3 next week! Really looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0