BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Are KW Adj Lowering Spring Sleeve-Over Kits compatible with Vorshlag Camber plates?

My 2011 has EDC and therefore I do not want to switch to the KW Clubsport Coilover System. I would however like to switch to an adjustable type suspension which allows me to retain EDC. The KW Adjustable Lowering Spring Sleeve-Over Kit fits allows you to retain EDC. The main reason for wanting to switch to a sleeve-over kit is to be able to corner balance and adj ride height more suited for the track. Does anyone know if the KW Adj Lowering Spring Sleeve-Over Kit is compatible with Vorshlag Camber plates and are there any examples of this out there? I have the Vorshlag camber plates which are designed for OEM sized springs.

"KW's latest offering to the suspension market is perfect for those looking to dial in their ride height without making the switch to a full coil over suspension system. The unique design allows for each corner to be individually adjustable, making it possible to drop your M3 to the exact ride height you desire."

Features
- Individual ride height adjustment
- 100% Compatible with EDC equipped models

Models Supported:
2011 BMW E82 1M
2008-2012 BMW E9X M3

Approximate Front/Rear Lowering:
Front: -0.6" to 1.2"
Rear: -0.2" to 1.2"
Attached Images

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL

Last edited by ortho281; 12-03-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

After doing a little searching I was able to find these posts which might answer my question. The spring diameter with the KW kit appears smaller than the OEM springs. This could affect the fit with spring perch on the Vorshlag camber plate.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502621

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510853
Attached Images

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL

Last edited by ortho281; 12-03-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281 View Post
After doing a little searching I was able to find these posts which might answer my question. The spring diameter with the KW kit appears smaller than the OEM springs. This could affect the fit with spring perch on the Vorshlag camber plate.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502621

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510853
I had KW Sleeves and they worked well on the track when struts were new. However, if your struts are even showing slight signs of wear, the KW sleeves will exacerbate the issue immediately. You will get that squishy damper feeling especially on slightly bending fast straights - and that is not confidence inspiring. Also, at this point you'll feel the suspension tramp pretty harshly on normal streets, also something I did not like. Funny thing is, I'm thinking of putting on Eibach Pro Kits on the new M vs. Sleeves.

Are they becoming too soft for you and is the Eibach height not low enough? I see you have the Pro Kit.
      12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
I had KW Sleeves and they worked well on the track when struts were new. However, if your struts are even showing slight signs of wear, the KW sleeves will exacerbate the issue immediately. You will get that squishy damper feeling especially on slightly bending fast straights - and that is not confidence inspiring. Also, at this point you'll feel the suspension tramp pretty harshly on normal streets, also something I did not like. Funny thing is, I'm thinking of putting on Eibach Pro Kits on the new M vs. Sleeves.

Are they becoming too soft for you and is the Eibach height not low enough? I see you have the Pro Kit.
Thanks for the input. No, I don't think the Pro-kit is too soft. The ride quality is very similar to OEM without the high speed bounce seen with other lowering springs. Yes, the Pro-kit could be about 10mm lower IMO. And the ability to counter balance and adj ride height would be even better. Which shocks were you using the KW's with (EDC or non-EDC)?

Last edited by ortho281; 12-03-2012 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I was in a similar spot, wound up selling my Vorschlag plates, and went with the matched Ground Control kit, which is similar to the KW kit, but includes Ground Control camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I was in a similar spot, wound up selling my Vorschlag plates, and went with the matched Ground Control kit, which is similar to the KW kit, but includes Ground Control camber plates.
How do you like the GC Kit? Is the ride considerable more harsh than OEM? Have you tried them on track and do you notice any highspeed bounce? I was considering these as well, but was leaning towards the KW kit because I already have the Vorslag plates.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
How do you like the GC Kit? Is the ride considerable more harsh than OEM? Have you tried them on track and do you notice any highspeed bounce? I was considering these as well, but was leaning towards the KW kit because I already have the Vorslag plates.
There are lots of reviews of the GC kit in the suspension forum, which prompted me to go that route, but mine are sitting on a shelf in the garage at the moment, awaiting install. Just got them.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
There are lots of reviews of the GC kit in the suspension forum, which prompted me to go that route, but mine are sitting on a shelf in the garage at the moment, awaiting install. Just got them.
Thanks, I have been reading what I can find out there. But I still have not found any direct comparisons btw the two kits. I like that the GC kit offers different spring rates and linear springs which are more suited for racing. The KW kit appears to be of better quality (ie. swaybar link and threaded perch is one piece) however, only offers one progressive spring rate which they do not disclose. What f/r spring rates did you go with?

Last edited by ortho281; 12-03-2012 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Thanks for the input. No, I don't think the Pro-kit is too soft. The ride quality is very similar to OEM without the high speed bounce seen with other lowering springs. Yes, the Pro-kit could be about 10mm lower IMO. And the ability to counter balance and adj ride height would be even better. Which shocks were you using the KW's with (EDC or non-EDC)?
EDC, I had the same intentions as you regarding corner balancing as well. The ability to lower the car to the "perfect" height was definitely a plus. I've heard good things about the GC Kit, but some bad reviews on the quality of the camber plates they come with. Just do a search on the forum about the camber plates, I think you'll find it.

You mentioned you have adjustable Vorshlag CPs, which model and did they work perfectly with your current set-up (Pro Kit)? The Vorshlag CPs make any noise? I heard camber plates may make noise.
      12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
EDC, I had the same intentions as you regarding corner balancing as well. The ability to lower the car to the "perfect" height was definitely a plus. I've heard good things about the GC Kit, but some bad reviews on the quality of the camber plates they come with. Just do a search on the forum about the camber plates, I think you'll find it.

You mentioned you have adjustable Vorshlag CPs, which model and did they work perfectly with your current set-up (Pro Kit)? The Vorshlag CPs make any noise? I heard camber plates may make noise.
Yes, the Vorshlag CPs work perfectly with either OEM springs or the Eibach springs. There is no noise and only a slight increase in ride height, maybe around 4-6 mm. I was the first to receive and install the the new Vorshlag CPs. I posted comments in this post by HP Autowerks.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716188

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

This is the same setup I wanted to do when spring comes around. When I PMed HP Autowerks they said it shouldnt be a problem since KW s/o is designed around oem top hats. Please keep us updated ortho281.
      12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallx View Post
This is the same setup I wanted to do when spring comes around. When I PMed HP Autowerks they said it shouldnt be a problem since KW s/o is designed around oem top hats. Please keep us updated ortho281.
Thanks, in pics the KW springs looks smaller than OEMs. But then looks are deceiving. Still debating btw KW and GC. I will.

Appreciate 0