BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

EXXEL Distributions

05-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Performance Center Delivery (PCD) of 2012 E92 M3

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
There are days in one’s life which are forever remembered thanks to a very memorable event that transpired. May 17th 2012 was one of those day for me; a truly epic day.

Before getting into the events of what was a very special day, a tip of the hat in the direction of Ryan Amico and Francesca that are the dynamic duo that make Steve Thomas BMW, Camarillo, CA the gold standard of M car sales and service. It seems surreal that there is actually a dealership with individuals that behave as those two do so often as to have created a widespread reputation for delivering excellence in a sector of the sales market that is renowned for unscrupulous types. Both have earned my respect and appreciation for the manner in which every aspect of the proceedings were handled from their end. A lot of negatives are spoken about California, but in my opinion, the best BMW dealership in the USA is in Camarillo; just an email or phone call away. Many thanks to Ryan and Francesca. You two are the best!

Now to S. Carolina.

It began before the wake up call or alarm were scheduled to rouse me at 6 AM. While some claim to get no sleep during the night preceding a day in which a new BMW is going to be driven home from the BMW Performance Center, I was able to sleep but at 5:22 AM was suddenly awake. There was no point in doing anything but preparing to vacate the room so as to have time for some breakfast and then make the 7:40 shuttle bus to the Performance Center. A short time later, I was with nine others that were going to pick up cars aboard the shuttle bus. The driver, put everyone in the mood by driving that bus as if were a roadster. We rocked and rolled, were delighted to have used the seatbelts, and all conversation ceased as everyone's thoughts turned to considering the odds of the shuttle bus successfully negotiating the next turn.

We arrived at the PC without incident. No one, and do mean no one, tipped the shuttle bus driver. I think most were too scared out of their wits to remember proper decorum. The shuttle bus driver didn’t seem bothered, but did his damnedest to lay some rubber when he drove off. The shuttle bus only hiccupped then lumbered off.

Everyone is peering through the glass hoping to see their own vehicle. LOL

Approaching the entrance, two vehicles were visible through the glass in addition to a number of staff that awaited us. We entered and were greeted. A glance to the car on the left and I was wondering “Did someone else order exactly what I ordered?” That looks like an M3 and a black one at that. :heart skips a beat:

Snapped upon arrival.

A quick roll call confirmed all present, and then it was off to the briefing room. There, Andy, Ray and Donnie gave us an overview of the day’s driving activities.

Then it was outside to drive someone else’s car, burn someone else’s gas, and use up someone else’s tires.

My toy for the day = Melbourne Red M3 DCT w/ Carbon Fiber Roof and an interior that would make a Scotsman's heart smile.

We were split into two groups of five with every owner being given a vehicle that was same model as the one purchased. From that point on, it was our group of five vehicles plus Andy in a 335i for the skid pad, abs-panic braking/avoidance activity and road course. The abs session was relatively short, and by far the most humorous of the events as Andy was constantly on the radio goading the drivers to stop braking like a chauffer or demanding they stop worrying about spilling their coffee and crush the damn brake pedal. Finally, it was road course, as fast as you care to go, but NO PASSING. Drivers that were about to be passed were called IN to make way for faster cars. We lapped for the better part of half an hour. On track was a 550i, a 335i and a pair of X5s plus the M3 DCT that I was driving.

About DCT: Very quick upshifts and downshifts. If anything, second gear is a little too short for my liking while third is a little too tall for the track. The car was in MDM which enabled some play with the rear end. After “learning” the track plus a few more laps a rhythm was found. In spite of the pounding the brakes absorbed lap after lap, there was not the slightest fading.

The car: In a word -- beast. What a joy it was to drive WOT without a care in the world and without ever once sensing that the car wanted to do anything more than to keep doing that for the rest of the day; which would have required a number of fuel stops as I went through almost a half a tank of gas.

After all the fun the two groups were brought back together and informed that it was time for the “Hot Lap”. Pairs piled into E60 M5s driven by Andy, Ray, and Donnie. The last hot lap was Donnie’s taking me along for a ride that would make the most wicked roller coaster ride seem like a horse and buggy ride. Every upshift was a whack in the kidneys. Every left or right was a thump to the rib cage thanks to finely registered side bolsters. As we rode, I asked Donnie, “What do I tell the guys about your driving; how many tenths are you demanding from the M5?” Donnie: “Ten”. (BTW, Donnie’s in Atlanta this weekend, driving in the race.) To conclude the lap, a victory drift around the skid pad with all computer driving aids still switched off was a helluva ride. It was full opposite lock with Donnie simply stabbing the accelerator to steer the car.

At that point, it was time for the owners to go to their new cars to receive the bumper to bumper introduction to their car from one of the staff members. While Andy was grabbing a Temp Plate, I took some pics (hardly worthy of a photoshoot, but…)

Somehow, Andy, who had directed our group earlier in the morning, was paired with me to go over the M3. Too shorten this up a bit…Andy knew what he was talking about. The iDrive is a breeze. I love it. Ultimately we had to move the car outside to confirm satellite radio activation. So, out it went with Andy behind the wheel.

After about an hour and a half with the M3, we joined the others for lunch. Andy and I were at a table with Jonathan and Elizabeth, a couple from Ft Lauderdale, who were picking up an X5. Among a number of topics raised and discussed, were manual transmissions. Curiously, BMW Performance Center has no cars on site for customers to drive that are manuals. The logic is that the automatics cannot be broken which means money saved…a lot of money saved.

After lunch, it was off to the off-road course. Through a water canal, up a grade, balancing the X cars on two wheels, up a rocky slope, down an off-camber spiraling rocky slope, through some mud holes and down a couple of pig trails and we had completed the driving activities without creating work orders for the body shop.

Everyone was then asked to drive their new cars behind Arnold to BMW Museum.

Arnold ^^^

There we were introduced to Rick who promptly seized our cellphones and cameras, gave us a ticket in their place and had us put on headsets and safety glasses. Next stop: Where X cars are born. Some two hours were spent in the facility. The word massive is an insult to the place -- 3M sq.ft. One thing that was pointed out to us was that there is a simple way of identifying the X cars bound for Europe. If the X car is de-badged, it is going to Europe as de-badging the X cars has become vogue.

A brief look around the museum concluded the day in Spartanburg, and began the journey back to Florida of some 500 miles.

The trip was uneventful, but a few things are noted that might interest you.

1. Break in period recommendations were followed -- <5..5k rpm and < 105 mph.

2. Interstate highway most of the way, plus a couple of towns with lights and 30 minutes in stop and go Atlanta traffic yet overall consumption was a surprising 21.7 mpg. When the car was driven out of the building, the odometer reading was 000001.3 <--- the lowest odometer reading I've ever had on any new car including BMWs.

3. First stop for fuel in the car’s life = A forty-something man walks up and says “How fast have you had it?” Me: “Maybe 85. It’s being broken in by the book.” The man: “Those are fast.” Me: “That’s what I’ve heard.” The man: “I have a 5.0 liter Mustang. The other day I saw an M3, pulled up beside it and ran with him to 130 mph. Then he just left me like I was sitting still.” Me: “Is that so?” The man: “Yeah. Now I know to leave them alone.” Me: “You be safe.” The man: “Yeah.” Then walks into the store. I’m thinking, WTF? He’s racing on highways.

4. The first question asked of a BMW Performance Staff when we walked in to meet each other was by a gentleman that had ordered an X5 with M Package, “What is name of that color (pointing at Jerez Black)?” Staff: Jerez Black” X5 Man: “I don’t remember seeing that on the paint options”. Staff: “Jerez Black is an M3 exclusive color; cannot be special ordered for any other BMW model.” The man: “That is the prettiest paint I have ever seen.” All I could do was try to keep from smiling too much as at that point no vehicles had been declared to be this person’s or that one’s. The gentleman later asked to drive the M3 when I parked it after driving the road course. He did three laps, got out and said, “That car would kill me, but I already love it!”

5. One gentleman had experienced European delivery two years ago. In the museum after everything we had done, he commented that the BMW Performance Center experience was “much better” than the ED. I asked, “Why do you say that?” to which he replied, “You can drive your car home!”

Finally, a word about the staff and the experience overall: The staff makes happen that which customers tend to think cannot be experienced in this world. The experience has effectively killed off any thought of ever driving home a car from a BMW dealer. The instructors, all from a litany of racing experiences, are top notch. They communicate effectively; not just drive like bats out of hell. A Thank You to all would not truly convey the sense of gratitude that I, and I suspect others, feel toward the world class job that the staff deliver to BMW customers.

Yesterday, I picked up the M3 after having some SunTek CXP 18 (side glass) and CXP 35 (rear windshield) installed, took it down to the water and watched the sun set on the first full day of having this wonderful car here in Florida. Life was good, now it’s better.

Last edited by Eau Rouge; 02-07-2015 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
nice congrats
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

congrats again! and Thank you so much for your business we really appreciate it! Great write up as well!

PCD is def an awesome experience enjoy the new ride and if you ever need anything else at all at anytime just let us know

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
TysonRa
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

Man o man that sounds amazing I wish I had done that when I was picking up my m3 but hopefully next BMW I get in a few years. Congrats on the ride and thank you for sharing the experience with us. What a great write up.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
WOW stunning! She looks terrific.

Thanks for the great write-up too!
      05-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Awesome car and pics. Donnie is a cool guy, great instructor, and a great driver!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
nice congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
congrats again! and Thank you so much for your business we really appreciate it! Great write up as well!

PCD is def an awesome experience enjoy the new ride and if you ever need anything else at all at anytime just let us know
Jimmy.

You now can already guess who I will contact next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonRa View Post
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
Man o man that sounds amazing I wish I had done that when I was picking up my m3 but hopefully next BMW I get in a few years. Congrats on the ride and thank you for sharing the experience with us. What a great write up.
Thank you and you are welcome.

It was an amazing experience. I encourage you and all to work it into your plans for the next BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
WOW stunning! She looks terrific.

Thanks for the great write-up too!
Thank you, Julie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Awesome car and pics. Donnie is a cool guy, great instructor, and a great driver!
Agreed about Donnie. He can drive a car and how!

Last edited by Eau Rouge; 05-28-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Congrats. I wanted to vomit after my hotlap with Donnie. Next time I am taking Dramamine beforehand
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

nice combo, congrats! n great read too. thx 4 sharin

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I have been to the PCD twice. Loved every minute. I still think that would be the perfect job. Does BMW want to hire me?
      05-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Shane550X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i xDrive, '13 VW CC,

Congrats!!!
Does this pick up plan cost more money, and does it give you a discount on the car?

My fathers 05 545i just died and we are looking to get a new 550iXdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Congrats!!

I'm partial to Jerez on Bamboo too

I put Performance Carbon Fiber interior trim in...check it out in the interior mods section - if you want to see what Bamboo and CF look like.

Enjoy the car!
      05-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
mouivann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 2008 X5

Great write up. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Very well written!

Congrats on your new car, I really love the interior
      05-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Congrats. Takes me back.

PCD is such an amazing experience that it may honestly justify buying a BMW over another premium brand.

I love how well organize the whole process is as well.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
JA///MES
PLZRACE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I wish I would have done this! Let the modding begin!!!! Woo hoo!
2011 E90 JBM ///M3 DCT l Gintani Catless X-Pipe w/ Hybrid Exhaust l Vishnu Procede V5 with Meth l l RE Pulleys l Tecnocraft Envy l Arkym CF Diffuser l CF BMW Spoiler l Arkym CF Front Bumper l GB ///M Badge l GB Side Markers l GB Kidney Grills l PSS 275/255/35/19s l VMR VB3s in Hyper Black l CF Steering Wheel Trim l ///M Pedals l Black Tow Hooks l Eibach Springs l GP Thunder Bulbs l IND Key Hole Cover l BMW PSW l Verstrabe Paddles
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

congrats !!! this is one of those experience where, no matter how much time you spend, it will never be enough right !?!

Thanks for sharing your experience !!

What an awesome looking car, hopefully one day i can also sit in a brand new M3 !

Enjoy yours!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Great post, man. Congrats!
      05-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
johnca
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 Slow CSL

Congrats !!
      05-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #21
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Very nice writeup!

I do wish they would give you a car to drive like the one you were picking up (i.e. you should have been given a 6-speed M3 and I bet the X5 owners were given X5Ms).

But other than that, it is an amazing experience. PS - beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
JonNYC
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 Cabrio

Fantastic write-up-- really "captures" the experience. I would though strenuously disagree with the guy that said PCD is "better" than Euro Delivery. I did both this year-- ED of a M3 Cabrio in Jan (also Jerez/Bamboo) and then PCD in March. And although I'd agree with any and all recommendations to do PCD of a new BMW-- to me-- it's nothing even remotely comparable to Euro Delivery-- which was an adventure of a lifetime that I can hardly wait to again!

PCD gives you something you could always get for some cash-- a chance to drive and get instructed at BMWs facilities in their BMWs. Euro Delivery, OTOH, gives you the chance to drive your M3 at M3 speeds on incredible roads-- designed for those speeds-- with incredible scenery more safely than you'll ever be able to do otherwise.

Fortunately, one can do both, so the comparison is moot.

Last edited by JonNYC; 05-27-2012 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0