BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

03-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #23
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
You guys are hilarious.

Just curious? What does BMW have...or has ever had...that even gets in the same ballpark as the LF-A???
BMW has been there & done that with a so called supercar (M1).. Unlike Lexus, BMW does not need a rationed $375k car to prop up its image. All one has to do is take a look in the showroom of both makes to see what the choices are when it comes to sport & luxury. I can tell you the choices in the Lexus showroom are very limited. How many obtainable enthusiast machines can one choose from in the Lexus showroom today?
      03-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
The whole point of a hypercar is that it should make us common folk excited about the car and kill to drive it or something like that. No one is enthusiastic about this thing at all and that is a failure regardless of how not many will get to drive it.
Hmm, no one is at all enthusiastic about this car? Then how come every car forum has at least a half a dozen threads about it????

Look, I agree the car is polarizing. But just because you don't like the thing doesn't mean that nobody is enthusiastic about it. Gimme a break...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
Hmm, no one is at all enthusiastic about this car? Then how come every car forum has at least a half a dozen threads about it????

Look, I agree the car is polarizing. But just because you don't like the thing doesn't mean that nobody is enthusiastic about it. Gimme a break...
If you consider the things people have said in this thread and others on such (non Lexus) forums to be proof of enthusiasm for the LF-A, i strongly believe you are wrong. People are laughing at Lexus, not with them.

I adore the NSX and hugely respect the GT-R because they outperformed the competition for less and bought something new to the party while they were at it. Show me one way in which this will "improve the breed"?

BTW, very clever to skip most of my response.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #26
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you consider the things people have said in this thread and others on such (non Lexus) forums to be proof of enthusiasm for the LF-A, i strongly believe you are wrong. People are laughing at Lexus, not with them.
Again, you only see the posts that agree with you. Check out posts 1, 4, 6, 8, 11, and 16 in this very thread. I could list plenty of other threads here and on many other forums (not Lexus) that prove there is indeed enthusiasm for this car.

It may be overpriced and it may not perform as well as some competitors, but its just ignorant to say that nobody likes it....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #27
System Overload
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Numbers are weak for a car of that level.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #28
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

super fast Lexus = faster way of getting killed. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #29
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Wouldn't the ultimate determination of if it was indeed "overpriced" be whether or not they could pull asking price for every intended production unit? I bet they'll do just fine.

That being said, I hoped for better performance numbers as well. Seems like a lot of money for that particular car, but they're selling the image and status more than the performance itself. Hell, who knows how many sales they'll make just because they're playing up the "application" process to even be able to buy one.... The whole thing is about exclusivity. Not everyone who shells out money for these types of cars compares 0-100-0 and skidpad numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
BMW has been there & done that with a so called supercar (M1).. Unlike Lexus, BMW does not need a rationed $375k car to prop up its image. All one has to do is take a look in the showroom of both makes to see what the choices are when it comes to sport & luxury. I can tell you the choices in the Lexus showroom are very limited. How many obtainable enthusiast machines can one choose from in the Lexus showroom today?
The M1 was designed by Lamborghini not BMW. BMW only took over the project due to Lamborghini's financial difficulties. So the answer is still.....NO...BMW has never made a supercar.

You can argue that BMW's are more sporty than Lexus' all day long....no argument here. But at the end of the day...who sells more cars (NA Market)?

If Lexus continues to expand their brand to include performance vehicles, their sales lead will only continue to increase.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #31
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Overload View Post
Numbers are weak for a car of that level.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red
numbers arent great when you take into account the other cars out ther. that car is still far behind a lot of cars as far as performance and looks go.
And this.

And...

It goes on.

for 375 smackers, the car is NULL; that is the POINT we are trying to make.

For all those defending the LFA, if you had 375 laying around. Tell me you wouldnt get a Ferrari F430 spyder instead of this? And have CASH LEFT OVER.

F-ckin Liars all of you.

/thread
      04-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
The M1 was designed by Lamborghini not BMW. BMW only took over the project due to Lamborghini's financial difficulties. So the answer is still.....NO...BMW has never made a supercar.
Your information is incorrect. BMW and Giugiaro designed the M1 and had an agreement with Lamborghini to produce the cars, yet because of Lamborghini's financial position, production was changed at the last minute to Baur, in Germany.

It could be argued that Toyota has already done an exotic with the 200GT, so Lexus trying to position this as a first seems a little weak, just like the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #33
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Your information is incorrect. BMW and Giugiaro designed the M1 and had an agreement with Lamborghini to produce the cars, yet because of Lamborghini's financial position, production was changed at the last minute to Baur, in Germany.

It could be argued that Toyota has already done an exotic with the 200GT, so Lexus trying to position this as a first seems a little weak, just like the car.
Quote:
Originally, BMW commissioned Lamborghini to work out the details of the car's chassis, assemble prototypes and manufacture the vehicles, but Lamborghini's financial position meant that BMW reassumed control over the project in April 1978, after seven prototypes were built.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #34
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
What part of what you quoted leads you to believe that BMW didn't design and develop the M1? Most public sources hint at a small amount of help related to the mid-engine chassis from Lamborghini, but BMW was still the primary designer of the car, it wasn't something outsourced to Lamborghini, yet there was collaboration. Think of it more like the MB 500E that Porsche helped develop, but certainly credit for the overall car goes to MB.

I will cede that the seven prototypes did appear and function somewhat differently than the Baur assembled cars, so clearly BMW changed some of the Lamborghini design, but we're still talking collaboration, not full development.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the M1, at least in the sense that I think an E82 M car should not be named M1. If you see something that shows that Lamborghini was more involved than what I see online, I'd be more than happy to accept it. I've got no horse in this race.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Lexus dicked around with this car for so long they let other supercars advance significantly while they were still on the drawing board, and they never really caught up. This was supposed to be a performance showcase, and for the price, the numbers are lackluster.

What's the point of all this technology in a supercar if it doesn't make it faster?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #36
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
Again, you only see the posts that agree with you. Check out posts 1, 4, 6, 8, 11, and 16 in this very thread. I could list plenty of other threads here and on many other forums (not Lexus) that prove there is indeed enthusiasm for this car.

It may be overpriced and it may not perform as well as some competitors, but its just ignorant to say that nobody likes it....
Okay, i give up. Best car in the world.

Bye.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #37
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What part of what you quoted leads you to believe that BMW didn't design and develop the M1? Most public sources hint at a small amount of help related to the mid-engine chassis from Lamborghini, but BMW was still the primary designer of the car, it wasn't something outsourced to Lamborghini, yet there was collaboration. Think of it more like the MB 500E that Porsche helped develop, but certainly credit for the overall car goes to MB.

I will cede that the seven prototypes did appear and function somewhat differently than the Baur assembled cars, so clearly BMW changed some of the Lamborghini design, but we're still talking collaboration, not full development.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the M1, at least in the sense that I think an E82 M car should not be named M1. If you see something that shows that Lamborghini was more involved than what I see online, I'd be more than happy to accept it. I've got no horse in this race.

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=1824952

Quote:
BMW had retained the Italian exotic sports car company to design the M1.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #38
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, i give up. Best car in the world.

Bye.
Cetainly not the best car in the world. If I was spending my money I'd get an R8 V10 and call it a day. I'm just saying that there is enthusiasm out there for the car. Thats all....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #39
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
i really don't car about the performance of this car, remember its a lexus. if i had the money i would buy it because of its exclusivity and it looks/sounds badass.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #40
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

out of my range, but I will own an Aston Martin in the next 10 years.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #41
Gotadime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Camaro

That's such a sweet looking car.

I specialize in Automotive Photography. Visit my site here.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #42
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

actually i would get the LFA. don't want to get stranded on my date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
This.

And this.

And...

It goes on.

for 375 smackers, the car is NULL; that is the POINT we are trying to make.

For all those defending the LFA, if you had 375 laying around. Tell me you wouldnt get a Ferrari F430 spyder instead of this? And have CASH LEFT OVER.

F-ckin Liars all of you.

/thread
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #43
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Yea is a supercar but I dont see the point of this from Lexus...are they expecting the soccer mom audience??
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #44
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

sad part about all this is, Lexus claims their losing money on each sold.
Appreciate 0