BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Exhaust Issues?

Anyone with an aftermarket exhaust have any issues with CELs?

I was at the dealership today to get a rattle fixed and to get the diff fluid changed. My SA is really cool and I mentioned I was considering an exhaust and he recommended against it, not because he thinks they cause problems, but he seemed to imply that people have had warranty issues. I also had a tech ride with me to figure out the noise and he claimed that all any change to the backpressure is known to cause CELs in the M3s and that he wouldn't do it. Again, he wasn't talking about actual issues or warranty claims, just that in his experience the car will think something is wrong even if it's not.

I can see CELs if the whole exhaust is changed, but I haven't heard anything like this in the past and from my readings here am pretty confident that just an exhaust (not messing with smog components) won't be an issue.

Has anyone heard anything similar from a dealership or experienced any issues with their exhaust (CELs or warranty issues)?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
CampioniShop
Rep
Drives: na

You will rarely, if not never, experience CEL with any systems that do NOT replace the catalysers.

The catalysers, whether they are seconday or primary, will provide more than enough backpressure to sustain the OEM tuned exhaust velocity and not trip any CELs.
Appreciate 0