BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

01-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Web site creation software?

I don't need anything capable of duplicating amazon.com. I need something that will be relatively easy to use, can handle submission forms, maybe a forum/blog section and is easy to edit pages with and add new pages. Being able to post/view a couple Access databases would be very handy too, but not as a PDF, as searchable data. Pretty much very basic stuff.

I used to use FrontPage back in the day, but have not had to do a website in years. I know FrontPage had its share of warts, but it was nearly WYSIWYG, and the interface was deadly simple, which was good. I did get the first version of ExpressionWeb, and didn't care for it. It worked, but was overly complicated for what I need(ed) to do.

Is there such a program out there? I don't mind a moderate learning curve as long as ultimately the program will just work.

Looking at reviews of ExpressionWeb(Studio) 3 it seems that it is (still) more than I need? But, I can upgrade more cheaply than buying Dreamweaver (full version).

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Either use one of those online template websites or hire someone. The programs out there still require a bit of knowledge to get them going.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

what you want will require more than a software. You need to know some programming to do what you wanted. To do the front end, you'll need dreamweaver. To do forms, you need to know basic cgi or perl scripting. Forum and blog software package will need to be installed on the server end and will need to be configured. For datebase, you will need to be pretty good at SQL - i.e., mySql, and a programming language to access it.

I don't know how much you know, but if you are new to this, you should start with a basic website with a form submission feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

adobe dreamweaver

http://piratebay.org/torrent/4678653...tivation_Patch
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I guess I would consider myself an advanced non-professional user. I know, not much help...

I have done really basic websites already. I can muddle through basic Access stuff, I am very proficient with Publisher and PaintShop Pro X2. Not a master, but pretty darn good.

HTML and SQL is pretty much out of the question. I probably am capable, but I really don't have the time to learn that right now.

I took a look at Squarespace(.com), but really was not impressed overall. It did work, but it seemed to get in its own way in a lot. Plus it crashed a few times and I was only experimenting with it.

This is depressing...I really can't hire out for what I would like to do. Maybe I can find a punk-ass college student that can do sites for credit(free)?!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

www.wix.com makes good templates (you can customize with plenty of features) and for a cheap price you can get rid of their logos and host it on your own site.
      01-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Black Leopard
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

I would suggest loading Joomla or some CMS for an easy site. There are thousands of free templates and many extensions which would help your site do what you want it to do with minimal work.

Dreamweaver is also good to have if you need to do some coding of your joomla site, but you can usually get by with notepad...

EDIT: i might be the "punk-ass" college kid that could help haha
Appreciate 0