BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
wooderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Honest opinions on custom wheels and sizing?

I know it's hard to come to grips with the fact that your $5000.00 set up or similar has been a mistake but I'm curious if anyone has experienced this with the E9x? If so, what was the set up? I have had major regrets in the past with other vehicles, just don't want the same with my recent E92 purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

This is why this forum is such an asset--3+ years of people's experiences in trying different things on the E9X M3. Chances are, most wheel/tire combos, or exhaust setups, or suspension setups have been tried at least once and the successes or failures documented on this forum.

For my part, I ordered a set of 18" Forgeline track wheels from Turner Motorsport earlier in the year. They're the new-design GA3R, 18x10" all-around, and were made to the specifications that Turner and Forgeline had created for the TMS M3 race cars. The Forgelines used on the Turner cars were the older ZX3R, but both models are similarly designed three-piece wheels. When the wheels arrived and I test fitted them, I found that they didn't clear my 380mm/6-piston StopTech front brakes, despite Forgeline using the template from StopTech in figuring the offset, etc. The clearance issue was one of millimeters. Forgeline was true to their word, though, of guaranteed custom fitment and made a completely new set of wheels for me with slightly different offset/backpad spacing. I sent the first set back to them and the second set has fit perfectly and performed without a hitch.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
wooderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
This is why this forum is such an asset--3+ years of people's experiences in trying different things on the E9X M3. Chances are, most wheel/tire combos, or exhaust setups, or suspension setups have been tried at least once and the successes or failures documented on this forum.

For my part, I ordered a set of 18" Forgeline track wheels from Turner Motorsport earlier in the year. They're the new-design GA3R, 18x10" all-around, and were made to the specifications that Turner and Forgeline had created for the TMS M3 race cars. The Forgelines used on the Turner cars were the older ZX3R, but both models are similarly designed three-piece wheels. When the wheels arrived and I test fitted them, I found that they didn't clear my 380mm/6-piston StopTech front brakes, despite Forgeline using the template from StopTech in figuring the offset, etc. The clearance issue was one of millimeters. Forgeline was true to their word, though, of guaranteed custom fitment and made a completely new set of wheels for me with slightly different offset/backpad spacing. I sent the first set back to them and the second set has fit perfectly and performed without a hitch.
I had the same issue with a set of Enkei NT03's on a 350Z that I was going to track years ago. I forget who I was dealing with at the time but they tested fitment over a Stop Tech brake kit but not the Brembos. I actually scratched my calipers putting the wheels on.
Appreciate 0