European Auto Source (EAS)

06-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe 09

1200 mile run in service

Hi guys, I have got my car booked in for the 1200 mile run in service. I have a 2008 build M3 coupe DCT. I have spoken to a couple of dealers who are giving me different information on exactly what is done as part of this service. Can someone please confirm what fluids are changed engine/diff/DCT etc? Are there any ECU/DCT software updates which they should be doing?
I have had to take my car back to the selling dealer as other dealers are refusing to do the service FOC. I was always under the impression I could get this done at any BMW dealership.

Many Thanks

Oh can’t wait for the drive home after it’s done. 8.5k here I come
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1220 View Post
Hi guys, I have got my car booked in for the 1200 mile run in service. I have a 2008 build M3 coupe DCT. I have spoken to a couple of dealers who are giving me different information on exactly what is done as part of this service. Can someone please confirm what fluids are changed engine/diff/DCT etc? Are there any ECU/DCT software updates which they should be doing?
I have had to take my car back to the selling dealer as other dealers are refusing to do the service FOC. I was always under the impression I could get this done at any BMW dealership.

Many Thanks

Oh can’t wait for the drive home after it’s done. 8.5k here I come
The first service isn't free, but the selling dealer possibly 'built it into' the price when it was sold. Thats why it will need to go back there.

DCT gearboxes are lubricated for life and fluid MUST NOT be changed! Lots of US threads about this if you look. Some changed the DCT oil and knackered up the DCT gearboxes.

I am desperately trying to run up to 1200miles as i can't wait to get it done so I can give it some real beans!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Agree on the payment for the service - on a car like that the run-in service should be FOC and funded by the dealer. The first service of some vehicles I used to be involved with was free and redeemable at any dealer upon presentation of a voucher within the service book. The dealer doing the works would then claim the pre-agreed cost back from the selling dealer. Simples!
      06-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
madone29
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

i just had my 1200 miles service well now its a monstor......But after the service my i-drive went wrong but came back after 30 mins but the dealership did not know why?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone29 View Post
i just had my 1200 miles service well now its a monstor......But after the service my i-drive went wrong but came back after 30 mins but the dealership did not know why?
Hi mate, do you what was replaced in the service. Did you go to Chandlers?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
madone29
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

No I don't but it did take two hours and i only got one cupof hot chocolate lol....Yes I did go to Chandlers at Hailsham. Are you local then?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone29 View Post
No I don't but it did take two hours and i only got one cupof hot chocolate lol....Yes I did go to Chandlers at Hailsham. Are you local then?
No mate I'm not local. I spoke to them about 1200 mile serivce when calling around for quotes. They told me that the DCT oil needs to be changed. Was a bit suprised to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1220 View Post
No mate I'm not local. I spoke to them about 1200 mile serivce when calling around for quotes. They told me that the DCT oil needs to be changed. Was a bit suprised to hear that.
They MUST put the special DCT oil in then, the oil designed to go into the manual gearboxes will apparantly knacker up a DCT box - if you search the US threads there are loads on this topic, including members who have had their DCT transmissions replaced after having manual gearbox oil put in.

The dealers should all have had a bulletin telling them not to change it.
Appreciate 0