BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Head Sock / Balaclava Recommendations for HPDE

In the hopes of keeping sweat out of my heads and my helmet from getting excessively smelly I was thinking of getting a head sock. Are there any that you guys recommend in particular?

Alpinestars was a brand I tended to use when I rode motorcycles, so that was my initial go-to. Are they any good? The make one that's fully open face, which I thought might be a good way to go.

Do any of them interfere with the ability to communicate via chatterbox with an instructor?

Or perhaps just a skull cap beanie is a better option?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I like Sparco. All balaclavas will dampen sound slightly, but won't interfere too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

They're all pretty similar, just need to decide if you have a color preference or if you are certain you want open face v. just the eyeport. Alpinestars makes great stuff but can be more expensive. Not a lot of difference as they all have to meet the same standards (assuming you get nomex.) I currently have one from Stand21 and love it because it's lighter than the other ones I've had from OMP, Simpson and others.

If all you're after is managing smell/sweat, mine still smell and make me sweat more so no benefit there. Only reason I've used them is for fire protection when racing open wheel, not something I use for track days.

With all that said, if all you want is managing sweat, I use this on my bike:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...625.368.1.html
      05-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
I've used both the OMP Cool Line and Alpinestars balaclavas. I use them more for comfort and second, they tend to keep my helmet marginally drier (i.e. quicker to air out).

The Alpinestars ZX one has a small opening for the mouth if you use an integrated drinking system, whereas the OMP one doesn't.

I find the OMP one slightly more comfortable though as it isn't as stretchy as the Alpinestars one.

I've used both with my Stilo helmet with no problems being able to communicate via radio with either on.

Last edited by sawzall; 05-08-2013 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
In the hopes of keeping sweat out of my heads and my helmet from getting excessively smelly I was thinking of getting a head sock. Are there any that you guys recommend in particular?

Alpinestars was a brand I tended to use when I rode motorcycles, so that was my initial go-to. Are they any good? The make one that's fully open face, which I thought might be a good way to go.

Do any of them interfere with the ability to communicate via chatterbox with an instructor?

Or perhaps just a skull cap beanie is a better option?

Thanks.
I have these for wearing under the helmet. I use it for biking as well as I hate sweat getting into my eyes.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1238781-001

If you're looking for something for protection, you can look at these that are. Some are FIA approved and uses some form of heat protection like Nomax or something similar:

http://www.oakley.com/products/balac...er-_-91149-001

http://www.amazon.com/MOMO-Fireproof.../dp/B008EUALKM
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Im using simpson and its great. Not as pricey as the sparco one but it works great.