BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

04-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

drivendriver - good videos. Your camera and attachement work well. I think you had Ann in the car with you. Both she and her husband are very good instructors. I have know them for a long time.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #24
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
drivendriver - good videos. Your camera and attachement work well. I think you had Ann in the car with you. Both she and her husband are very good instructors. I have know them for a long time.
vz
Yes, that was Ann. She and her husband are good, fun, and very courageous people. And she is a great instructor. I have to send her an e-mail.

On Tuesday she gave me a dizzying ride (and I mean dizzying almost literally ) in one of her Corvettes. Very impressive.
Attached Images

Last edited by drivendriver; 04-24-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #25
NC_IS
Rep
Drives: 2004 330is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
AMT Engineering headrest post arm...

http://www.amt-engineering.com/

shot this with my point n shoot camera at infineon a while back. incredibly sturdy and very little vibration transferred to the camera.

+1 Hey, I've got that one too! Which version do you have?

I got one last summer when just the Carbon Fiber version was available, but now there is a less expensive version that is all aluminum. I'm fine with the carbon fiber version. It draws lots of compliments at the track. And I agree, it is pretty steady.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I ended up using the Cruisecam, and it worked brilliantly. The video quality is brilliant and there was very little vibration. My only complaint was that the mount was slightly noisy (made a vibrating sound) whenever I hit the kerbs or hit a bumpy spot in the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #27
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_IS View Post
+1 Hey, I've got that one too! Which version do you have?

I got one last summer when just the Carbon Fiber version was available, but now there is a less expensive version that is all aluminum. I'm fine with the carbon fiber version. It draws lots of compliments at the track. And I agree, it is pretty steady.
i have the aluminum version and have been talking to eric about having a height adjustable version created. i'm helping him test it out on the track. i may have some footage with the new mount by the end of may.

the amt mount is one of the best out there. very sturdy, min vibration, and doesn't look like a shoddy DIY mount. i highly recommend it to anyone who's in the market.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #28
NC_IS
Rep

Quote:
i have the aluminum version and have been talking to eric about having a height adjustable version created. i'm helping him test it out on the track. i may have some footage with the new mount by the end of may.

the amt mount is one of the best out there. very sturdy, min vibration, and doesn't look like a shoddy DIY mount. i highly recommend it to anyone who's in the market.
Cool. I'd be interested to hear how your testing turns out.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #29
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

The AMT looks nice but $140 is nuts, CF or no CF. For $50 the cruise cam works perfectly with no vibration. I don't think there will be much weight savings in a piece so small, maybe 1/2 a pound. I'll drink 1/2 of a can of soda with lunch to make it even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I ended up using the Cruisecam, and it worked brilliantly. The video quality is brilliant and there was very little vibration. My only complaint was that the mount was slightly noisy (made a vibrating sound) whenever I hit the kerbs or hit a bumpy spot in the track.
Check the washers to ensure they aren't on the loose side of the mounting "headrest grabber" devices.
      04-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
The AMT looks nice but $140 is nuts, CF or no CF. For $50 the cruise cam works perfectly with no vibration. I don't think there will be much weight savings in a piece so small, maybe 1/2 a pound. I'll drink 1/2 of a can of soda with lunch to make it even.

Check the washers to ensure they aren't on the loose side of the mounting "headrest grabber" devices.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that! It's pretty minor either way - I couldn't hear the vibration while on track, it was only audible in the video at certain times.

And I'll second Skierman, the cruise cam is more than adequate, and it's pretty light (about 1-2lbs). I used a digital camera, I did a quick check of the camera and it looked perfectly fine after use.

The only thing I'd recommend is getting a wide lens for your camera,if you're not using GoPro or something like that. I realized after filming that I could only capture about 2/3 of the front windshield, which means that I can't really see my approach into right handers (annoying on a clockwise track!).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #31
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Just bough GoPro HERO today and should arrive on Friday b4 the event this weekend. We'll see what speedventures say about having cameras mounted outside. If not I'll mount it on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #32
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
Just bough GoPro HERO today and should arrive on Friday b4 the event this weekend. We'll see what speedventures say about having cameras mounted outside. If not I'll mount it on the windshield.
Awesome, be sure to post footage. I'm debating going the GoPro route myself
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #33
NC_IS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
"Nuts" is a matter of opinion. Spending $60K+ on a BMW M3, I consider worthwhile. Spending $60K+ on a Cadillac Escalade, I consider nuts.

I justified it because I like the looks and the fact that the camera is offset rearward. This is a safety issue. If it were to go all wrong, I wouldn't want the post to be right beside my head. Not to mention some of the insanely dangerous home-made mounts out there.

I'm guessing the price point was the reason for the less expensive aluminum version. Anyway, I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #34
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_IS View Post
"Nuts" is a matter of opinion. Spending $60K+ on a BMW M3, I consider worthwhile. Spending $60K+ on a Cadillac Escalade, I consider nuts.

I justified it because I like the looks and the fact that the camera is offset rearward. This is a safety issue. If it were to go all wrong, I wouldn't want the post to be right beside my head. Not to mention some of the insanely dangerous home-made mounts out there.

I'm guessing the price point was the reason for the less expensive aluminum version. Anyway, I'm happy.
The Cruise cam is made out of plastic..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #35
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
The Cruise cam is made out of plastic..
Negative, the cruise cam is made out of Aluminum. Plastic would never work, too much vibration and probably not crash worthy.