BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
weird metal buzzing sound - 6mt 2011 m3

Hey guys, i haven't really noticed it that much before but the sound has gotten worse. It comes in at around 2k -2.5k rpm and it is like a screech. It is coming from the stick i believe.

you have to really listen close. the video is best with full volume and headphones.

if anyone could give me some advice to what this could possibly be that would be great, i want to try to avoid having to take it to service.

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Sounds more like a rattle than a problem IMO. That kind of light metal rattling is usually emitted by heat shields. I'd get under the car, remove the tranny cover, and carefully check everything all around, especially the heat shields. Also wiring, lines, and anything else. After that, if you keep listening the noise, it's going to be something else. Oh, and you could also remove the shifer boot, to see if noise is louder, meaning it's definitely coming from under there. Sometimes noises telegraph in a way you think they're coming from some place, and source is on a totally different location.

But yes, I'd definitely investigate myself before allowing a dealer drive the crap out of my car for nothing. MUCH better to tell a dealer where the rattle is (if you can't fix it), than letting them find it, usually with unsuccessful results (plus many scratches in the process ).

Finally, how many miles on your car? And did it start making that noise recently, or it's been there all along? If recently, any service or modifications done, or any unusual event, like hitting something on the road, etc? Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I had a weird rattling buzzing noise at 1500 RPM about 2 years ago. Turned out to be a little tach welded metal plate on the exhaust system that contained some part numbers. Yanked it off it took care of the problem. Not sure if that's the situation in your case, I'd put the car on a lift and try to ascertain if you can pinpoint the noise from the bottom while it's being driven in the relevant range.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
i had a ebrake rattle and needed the whole assembly replaced.

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
actually, urs sounds exactly like mine

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
well the car is about half a year old and has around 4800 miles on it. It has been going on for the past 1500 miles so i know it wasn't because of the gintani i threw in 3 weeks ago. I think im going to send it to Specialty automotive down here in south florida as they are good friends with my dad. I do not like the dealership having my car because they were such a hassle with my x6 before it was finally lemoned. But i will take out the boot and see if the noise is any louder. Ill keep you guys posted but if anyone else has some advice i would love to hear it because it is driving me absolutely off the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Sounds more like a rattle than a problem IMO. That kind of light metal rattling is usually emitted by heat shields. I'd get under the car, remove the tranny cover, and carefully check everything all around, especially the heat shields. Also wiring, lines, and anything else. After that, if you keep listening the noise, it's going to be something else. Oh, and you could also remove the shifer boot, to see if noise is louder, meaning it's definitely coming from under there. Sometimes noises telegraph in a way you think they're coming from some place, and source is on a totally different location.

But yes, I'd definitely investigate myself before allowing a dealer drive the crap out of my car for nothing. MUCH better to tell a dealer where the rattle is (if you can't fix it), than letting them find it, usually with unsuccessful results (plus many scratches in the process ).

Finally, how many miles on your car? And did it start making that noise recently, or it's been there all along? If recently, any service or modifications done, or any unusual event, like hitting something on the road, etc? Good luck man.

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0