BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

05-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #45
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

In that price range I would rather get a Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #46
rovensail
Skipper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just days after I bought my 07 335i, the hpfp failed. I was given a new Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 3.8 r-spec to drive while being repaired. My wife hates the BMW brand because of a few previous issues with an e90 and she had not had an opportunity to ride in the new whip, when I picked her up at the airport in the aforementioned Hyundai. Her exact words:
1) "Wow, I thought you said you bought another bimmer, but this isn't a bimmer?!?"
2) "So this car goes faster than yours, but I hope yours isn't this loud on the interstate, is it?"
3) "This car just feels cheaper than my Altima, I'm not sure I want a Hyundai at any point in my life, if they are all this way..."
The car didn't bother me, per se, but I just kind of wanted my car back. It certainly does the job of getting someone from point A to point B, and there was nothing horribly wrong with it, but it's just not going to be the car of my choice...

As a post script, the guy that I bought my 335 from, had just himself purchased an identical HGC 3.8 to replace the bimmer, so I'm sure there are reasons for the switch.
-Chip
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #47
Never-Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovensail View Post
Just days after I bought my 07 335i, the hpfp failed. I was given a new Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 3.8 r-spec to drive while being repaired. My wife hates the BMW brand because of a few previous issues with an e90 and she had not had an opportunity to ride in the new whip, when I picked her up at the airport in the aforementioned Hyundai. Her exact words:
1) "Wow, I thought you said you bought another bimmer, but this isn't a bimmer?!?"
2) "So this car goes faster than yours, but I hope yours isn't this loud on the interstate, is it?"
3) "This car just feels cheaper than my Altima, I'm not sure I want a Hyundai at any point in my life, if they are all this way..."
The car didn't bother me, per se, but I just kind of wanted my car back. It certainly does the job of getting someone from point A to point B, and there was nothing horribly wrong with it, but it's just not going to be the car of my choice...

As a post script, the guy that I bought my 335 from, had just himself purchased an identical HGC 3.8 to replace the bimmer, so I'm sure there are reasons for the switch.
-Chip
Your wife is wrong. The 335i is faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #48
itbettergofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I had a 2010 genesis coupe 3.8, the car got alot of looks and thumbs up, it was black on black, 20x10 tsw donington, custom mandrel bent magnaflow exhaust, injen intake,lowered on eibach, as far as going fast, it didnt, reason I got rid of it was the lack of torque, lack of aftermarket support (for the 3.8) $2000 headers for a hyundai. The 335i is way faster than the top of the line gen coupe.
08 335i E90, AW, jb4 and dci, 20% tint, ER CP,synapse bov ,supreme power perches, cyba tips, BMS WW meth kit, M3 front, BMS catch can, mtech AE, AA downpipes, Big tom IC, kickdown disabled, 15 ohm mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #49
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 MW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
In that price range I would rather get a Mustang.
If you're referring to the 2011 Mustang Gt 5.0, I wouldn't bother. It's a beast, but everybody starting to find out it has a major transmission defect.

Side note, 370z's rev-matching gearbox is sex. But that's it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #50
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92addict View Post
If you're referring to the 2011 Mustang Gt 5.0, I wouldn't bother. It's a beast, but everybody starting to find out it has a major transmission defect.

Side note, 370z's rev-matching gearbox is sex. But that's it.
Really...??? It would still be under warranty.. So they should do it for free.. Right..?

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #51
rovensail
Skipper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never-Enough View Post
Your wife is wrong. The 335i is faster.
I find humor in what you got out of this story, however, she's my wife, so I just nod and say "yes dear" until one pulls up next to me...then I'll let the cars do the talking...shoot first and ask questions later
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #52
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Don't expect much from the General forums. Most people here are badge whores and 17 years old. Probably couldn't tell you what the difference is between a 328 and a scooter.
Thank you for calling a spade a spade and say it like it is.

P.S I like the genesis IMO skip the 3.8 go with the 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 06-02-2011 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #53
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
Im a typical bmw snob and attention whore and cannot phantom the idea of telling women I drive a hyundai, however they did come a long ways but not for me. For the guys that praise it soo much just trade your bmw in for one.
Did you mean fathom? Cause that's one egregious mistake.

Hyundai's are starting to look real nice (exterior and value) but the brand reputation still has a little distance to cover. I'm pretty sure they'll soon catch up to the Japanese in terms of image.
      06-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #54
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Decent cars. But I just really can't side with a brand that unapologetically copies everything from other successful brands, and offers no personalization options in order to keep prices down.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #55
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Decent cars. But I just really can't side with a brand that unapologetically copies everything from other successful brands, and offers no personalization options in order to keep prices down.
I don't see them copying anybody anymore. They followed the same route of all the other upstart manufacturers; copy the biggest and best, form a solid reputation, then do your own thing.

Lexus did it. Plenty of Chinese brands are doing it. It just makes sense, although I do see some justification in looking down on a brand that takes from another's hard work and research.

Hyundai is currently producing unique models that happen to be leaders in many of their respective segments. We're not seeing some boring Lexus stuff; take a look at all of their cars post-design revolution. They're clearly going out of their way to make their cars look high-end, well-proportioned, and above all else, stylized and unique. You can't say the same of many other manufacturers right now.

I mean, goddamn, look at the Elantra. It owned the massively competitive compact class.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #56
DisGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M Three Powah

waaaaaaay better then the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #57
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I don't see them copying anybody anymore. They followed the same route of all the other upstart manufacturers; copy the biggest and best, form a solid reputation, then do your own thing.
Umm, if you don't see the resemblence between the Genesis Coupe and a certain Nissan product??
      06-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #58
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Umm, if you don't see the resemblence between the Genesis Coupe and a certain Nissan product??
If you're referring to the G37 then yeah, you can draw some resemblance. The roofline is really the only shared trait. The rest of the Genesis is all-original. I've even come to appreciate the unusual kink in the rear portion of the window; it's one more unique styling cue to make the car different.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #59
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Sorry, but i consider this pretty shameful. Like I said, they're decent cars. But it's like getting RC Cola when you can have Coke.

And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Hyundai in particular. I was pretty ticked when BMW decided to make the LCI taillights on some of the newer models look like they're off the Lexus parts shelf. IMO companies gotta do their own thing to have a respectable image, but consumers want what they want I guess.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #60
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

Sorry, but i consider this pretty shameful. Like I said, they're decent cars. But it's like getting RC Cola when you can have Coke.

And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Hyundai in particular. I was pretty ticked when BMW decided to make the LCI taillights on some of the newer models look like they're off the Lexus parts shelf. IMO companies gotta do their own thing to have a respectable image, but consumers want what they want I guess.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd like to think I have more knowledge on the issue of automotive design than most (and I say that with as little intention of sounding conceited as possible). I spend a ridiculous amount of time studying this stuff (subscribed to dedicated sites, almost went to school for it before I realized it could be financial suicide, etc), and I can tell you that what we're seeing is more a result of the trending way car design works, not one company seeking to copy another.

None of those comparisons you posted strike me as even slightly close to shameful. Every company has adopted another company's styling cues in some form or another. These cues typically spread amongst the industry. The sloping roofline that's now common amongst sedans was introduced by the CSL, but that doesn't mean that one should call a Passat CC or Sonata a rip-off.

Design excellence is reached when you can have a fleet of massively diverse looking vehicles that are instantly recognizable to a specific name. Hyundai, like almost every car maker nowadays, is simply taking well-established design cues and adding their brand's influence, while mixing things up as well.

There's a reason why headlight and taillight shapes, as well as car/suv proportions have become pretty consistent. They're tried and true, and only the more daring companies are willing to stray away from the established norm.

That Genesis sedan is in an extremely competitive, high-conservative segment. Look at the A6, F10 5er, and E-Class for proof. That Equus has a look of its own, although I think it's particularly unattractive to be honest. And like I said in my previous post, the only shared trait between the G37 and Genesis coupe is the roofline, although I can see why people would make that an instant reason to make them seem more comparable than they are.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #61
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Pictures say a thousand words and I don't think 'originality' is one of them when you look at Hyundai. People praise their value and greatly improved quality, but no one looks at them as stylistically original at all. The Kia Soul is the only such product that comes to mind.
      06-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #62
CLV0009
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i 2015 BMW 328i GT

I work in the auto insurance industry more specifically in auto repair process and quality inspection, I can tell you that Hyundai has come a very long way, the ride is nice and even the 2.0t has good out of the box power, every time we get a new Sonata we compare it to an accord and camry and there is no way the latter two come close on the design and finish of the Hyundai, also quality seems to have improved greatly, it is been said that Hyundai with in the next 5 years will surpass Toyota and Honda in design, value and quality if the latter two dont get their stuff together, just look how bland Toyota interiors are and how flat exterior design for Honda's, I like what I see coming from Hyundai and hope they keep their Genesis line under the same brand and not make it a luxury brand like Lexus or Acura.
I suggest you rent new Sonata, this will give you a sense of fit and finish for the car as well as some ride experience, not sure if the Genesis is on any rental fleet.
      06-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #63
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Pictures say a thousand words and I don't think 'originality' is one of them when you look at Hyundai. People praise their value and greatly improved quality, but no one looks at them as stylistically original at all. The Kia Soul is the only such product that comes to mind.
That second sentence should be worded differently, or there should be an "imo" tacked to the end, because I see things completely differently.

Can't get much more innovative and original than making a three-door hatchback/coupe/sedan thing that seriously doesn't look like anything else on the road.

The company will continue to make their designs more their own (although I believe they've hit the sweet spot) as their brand strength continues to skyrocket, allowing them to take more chances.

And Kia has plenty of strong products coming out that have their own unified identity, too. The Soul is the last one I'd bring to mind simply because it's strikingly similar to the last-gen Civic. This Optima, on the other hand...

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #64
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

anyone notice how the new genesis has the wing emblem now? i thought it was some exotic car when i was creeping up behind one yesturday, how decieving! lol

06-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #65
Never-Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
anyone notice how the new genesis has the wing emblem now? i thought it was some exotic car when i was creeping up behind one yesturday, how decieving! lol

They've had that since they came out...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #66
Going2S5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

that is actually an aftermarket emblem just like that spoiler is aftermarket
Appreciate 0