BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

RE SSK Review A+

well i got my RE short shifter kit put in today

first off thanks to EAS for the fast and exc cust service. they shipped it out the day they got back from sema and i got it 2 days later. thanks guys

thanks to Motor Works West. they are always brutally honest with me and call out junk when they see it just like they did when i brought the UUC one to them. this RE kit is built very well and def no corners cut looks just great. they have installed a few kits on the E9X M3's so far and as you know there aren't many choices so they only have done RE ones and UUC ones. they felt the RE one is way better in all areas

driving it is awesome just the right amount shorter and the shifts are nice and precise no slop at all just nice tight shifts. i will say it is a tight shift so if you like a loose shifter then this may not be for you. i like a nice tight feel even if i have to push a little harder. shifts flawless though no clanking or grinding at all

if i had to knit pick and pick anything bad at all then it would be this. on the 1-2 shift you hear a little synchro noise but my tech said it is not a bad thing like clanking or anything like that it is just how it is. that was the only spot i heard it so far and it is not loud at all

other then that this is bar far the best SSK i have had. i love the short tight precise shifts it gives. i def reccomend this kit for anyone on the fence about which to get. i am so glad i didn't get the uuc one which i almost pulled the trigger on but after talking with my tech and what he felt after test driving both and getting his feedback on which was better i went with the RE. i don't mind the tightness of it. it is a little harder to push into gear then stock but not bad at all. i prefer that feeling. like i said if you don't then maybe this one isn't for you

i give it a A+ on performance and on build quality etc. makes me enjoy the car even more now

H
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

a big congrats bro.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
hogwild
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe

Im there!

I had my RE SSK put in yesterday at EAS myself!!! I also have some syncro noise from 1-2, but nothing terrible and the shifts are tight ! A+ for the shifter and EAS!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review.

Its still our best selling SSK!
      11-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i just realized you had this one too. do you feel the same way about it?? do you hear the synchro noise on the 1-2 shift??

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
a big congrats bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Good review. FYI - I get a fair amount of synchro noise with my UUC on 1-2 and 2-3 at high RPM. I assume it is because the UUC is all metal and it is transmitting that noise up into the cabin. I don't mind it though - sounds kind of cool ; )
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Good review. FYI - I get a fair amount of synchro noise with my UUC on 1-2 and 2-3 at high RPM. I assume it is because the UUC is all metal and it is transmitting that noise up into the cabin. I don't mind it though - sounds kind of cool ; )
The sound of "Synchros" is not a good or cool sound. Are you guys refering to synchros grinding or maybe you meant to use another word.
      11-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
The sound of "Synchros" is not a good or cool sound. Are you guys refering to synchros grinding or maybe you meant to use another word.
It is not the sound of grinding gears. One might label it a buzz or a whirl sound. I assume this is synchro noise, but I suppose it could simply be a resonance or just the sound of gear engagement at high RPM.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
RE makes good stuff, I should've went with them in the beginning as I was thoroughly impressed with the kit they made for the E46.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
The sound of the synchros is normal with an aftermarket ssk. It's much more rigid and transmits the natural sound of the tranny to the cabin better so you hear it.

I love the RE SSK. The harder push it takes to get it into gear is something you only notice for the first week or so cause you're so used to the overly soft OEM shifter. Once you get used to it, you can't even remember how OEM feels and the RE seems to take no extra effort at all.
      11-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

sorry bout that i am sure i meant use another word, my tech said it was fine so i am sure he wouldn't of sent me off if it was not good. sorry bout that. i will find out the correct term

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

that was one thing he did say on race cars you hear it all the time bc of there beefed up parts and told me it was normal. i only hear it on the 1-2 and not all the time

i am already lovin this one compared to oem

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
The sound of the synchros is normal with an aftermarket ssk. It's much more rigid and transmits the natural sound of the tranny to the cabin better so you hear it.

I love the RE SSK. The harder push it takes to get it into gear is something you only notice for the first week or so cause you're so used to the overly soft OEM shifter. Once you get used to it, you can't even remember how OEM feels and the RE seems to take no extra effort at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

RE Kits also repositions the entire shift lever back. Do you notice the change in position? Is it placed in a more natural location?
      11-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah sorry forgot to add that in my review. it def moved it bc i had to change my seat setting. it was a good change though very comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
RE Kits also repositions the entire shift lever back. Do you notice the change in position? Is it placed in a more natural location?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
well i got my RE short shifter kit put in today

first off thanks to EAS for the fast and exc cust service. they shipped it out the day they got back from sema and i got it 2 days later. thanks guys

thanks to Motor Works West. they are always brutally honest with me and call out junk when they see it just like they did when i brought the UUC one to them. this RE kit is built very well and def no corners cut looks just great. they have installed a few kits on the E9X M3's so far and as you know there aren't many choices so they only have done RE ones and UUC ones. they felt the RE one is way better in all areas

driving it is awesome just the right amount shorter and the shifts are nice and precise no slop at all just nice tight shifts. i will say it is a tight shift so if you like a loose shifter then this may not be for you. i like a nice tight feel even if i have to push a little harder. shifts flawless though no clanking or grinding at all

if i had to knit pick and pick anything bad at all then it would be this. on the 1-2 shift you hear a little synchro noise but my tech said it is not a bad thing like clanking or anything like that it is just how it is. that was the only spot i heard it so far and it is not loud at all

other then that this is bar far the best SSK i have had. i love the short tight precise shifts it gives. i def reccomend this kit for anyone on the fence about which to get. i am so glad i didn't get the uuc one which i almost pulled the trigger on but after talking with my tech and what he felt after test driving both and getting his feedback on which was better i went with the RE. i don't mind the tightness of it. it is a little harder to push into gear then stock but not bad at all. i prefer that feeling. like i said if you don't then maybe this one isn't for you

i give it a A+ on performance and on build quality etc. makes me enjoy the car even more now

H
Great review - this is one of my favorite mods to date on the M3.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

update

put 300 miles on it so far. it is breakin in real nice and i like it more and more every day hence 300 miles on it already. it gives the car a more racey feel to it and you almost feel like your on the track when you find a nice set of twisties to rip through and banging through the gears is a pleasure whether it be a upshift or a downshift.

still no slop, grinding or clanking noises. just a nice tight shift like it fits into the gear slot where stock it just flowed into gear. hard to explain but it now has a notch that it goes into if that makes any sense and i like that

i notice the postion change of the shifter more now that i have put more miles on it. i say this is def a plus as it is a more comfortable postion shifting the car and instead of moving my seat to make it comfortable to shift it seems the seat can be in almost any tilt postion and it feels good. where before for me to make real fast shifts i would have to postion the seat to where my knee was rubbing against the dash area and it was uncomfortable. i am a bigger guy at 5'10 205lb and have big legs so maybe the skinnier guys didn't have this problem

well all in all i still feel the same A+ after some miles on it. if people want i will update this thread when i get more miles on it for a long term update as in the next month or so i will be adding a diff and/or pulley to my car whichever becomes available first to me and while the car is in the shop i will have my tech re check everything to make sure it looks A ok etc

H
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
update

put 300 miles on it so far. it is breakin in real nice and i like it more and more every day hence 300 miles on it already. it gives the car a more racey feel to it and you almost feel like your on the track when you find a nice set of twisties to rip through and banging through the gears is a pleasure whether it be a upshift or a downshift.

still no slop, grinding or clanking noises. just a nice tight shift like it fits into the gear slot where stock it just flowed into gear. hard to explain but it now has a notch that it goes into if that makes any sense and i like that

i notice the postion change of the shifter more now that i have put more miles on it. i say this is def a plus as it is a more comfortable postion shifting the car and instead of moving my seat to make it comfortable to shift it seems the seat can be in almost any tilt postion and it feels good. where before for me to make real fast shifts i would have to postion the seat to where my knee was rubbing against the dash area and it was uncomfortable. i am a bigger guy at 5'10 205lb and have big legs so maybe the skinnier guys didn't have this problem

well all in all i still feel the same A+ after some miles on it. if people want i will update this thread when i get more miles on it for a long term update as in the next month or so i will be adding a diff and/or pulley to my car whichever becomes available first to me and while the car is in the shop i will have my tech re check everything to make sure it looks A ok etc

H
Yes, we'd love to hear more. Keep us posted.
      11-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #18
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Yes, we'd love to hear more. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
update
Hey, want your input since you seem pretty objective. We all know there's no free lunch with mods, so I know there's at least one drawback (other than cost ), which is added noise. My question is how much more. Could you please describe it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #20
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I think H Bomb gotten the right choice.

i have about 1500km on mine and it just feels great aswell.

the position is also higher and better. I just love driving it everyday since I don't have winter in TW so I don't know what it would feel like in the cold. But I am sure Ben's got everything worked out.

But I did notice a slight squeak sound when I am pushing the car really really car but when I slow down its gone.

but the sound is very very very slight, so slight that the person sitting next to me can't even hear it. and it only happens when I am redlining through all the gears.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i would say it is not loud at all. if you have the radio on even at a low level or your windows down or even one window down you won't hear it. you may feel a little bit of a notchy feel going into the 1-2 but not sloppy nice and tight. only time i have heard noise other then the 1-2 shift is if i had left my hand on the shifter after a shift with applied pressure which we all know we are not suppose to do. and for those that don't know, you shouldn't rest your hand on the shifter lol.

on cold starts i hear a little bit of the noise going into reverse then back into 1st but thats it.

but this is only heard if the windows are up and the radio is off. if you had the radio off and windows up but someones was sitting next to you talking to you then you prob wouldn't hear it either.

just has a race car feel overall to it. i drove my uncles track car once and it feels like that but i use this as my daily and i have no problems with it and it hasn't made it any less of a daily driver just better

so i say other then the cost, which they all seem to be very high for this car no matter which one you get, the slight noise you get from the shifter is def worth all the good things about it.

i have liked my Dinan shifter that i had in the past on my E46 M3 but this one i think i like more bc it feels like more of a race bred shifter. tighter shifts, tighter feel, shorter shifts.

so long story short in my opinion i think it is worth it compared to what else is out there as of now which isn't many choices. my tech that works on my car has driven a few of these and a few of the UUC ones and he said there is no comparison, that the RE blows it away. in terms of how it operates and in terms of construction. he told me about the slight noise ahead of me getting it but i felt it was worth it from what he described to me and i feel the same way.

i am 100% happy with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey, want your input since you seem pretty objective. We all know there's no free lunch with mods, so I know there's at least one drawback (other than cost ), which is added noise. My question is how much more. Could you please describe it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #22
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
i am 100% happy with it
Man, thanks a lot for such an elaborate reply . After all I've read, wouldn't install a UUC even if I got paid. RE seems like the best alternative indeed. Take care.
Appreciate 0