BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #111
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

I'm not a track rat and having both cars in the household I prefer the 335i for aggressive street driving (private streets in Mexico of course). If I were a track rat, unless I was one of those people who love large car projects and doing my own mods, I would go for the m3 since it's more then adequate in stock form.

For the street straight line is what it comes down to 95% of the time (except for those yellow lights when you make that aggressive left turn before they go red).

My first setup on the car was a $250 piggyback and a $200 used basic meth kit. $450 later I had a 400whp car and after picking up some cheap used downpipes for $150 I was closing in on 500 wtq. The power came all too easy, after that it just came down to what the tires can handle. Now if I were to take this setup to the track I would come home crying asking my siblings for the keys to the m3. It's not too bad driving home crying getting 34mpg though.

In the end it depends on your preferences, the m3 is plenty fast straight line and more then fast enough to get you into trouble with the law. It also is hands down beyond superior at the track, but it all comes down to your preferences and if you prefer something that's ready to go or if you prefer to build your beast.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #112
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

yep, the 335i is clearly better. evidence - the dozens of people who traded in their m3's for 335i's. I know you're out there....right?

:crickets:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #113
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
yep, the 335i is clearly better. evidence - the dozens of people who traded in their m3's for 335i's. I know you're out there....right?:crickets:
Im waiting to trade my M3 for the new V8 335i..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #114
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
yep, the 335i is clearly better. evidence - the dozens of people who traded in their m3's for 335i's. I know you're out there....right?

:crickets:
Well, there's the guy with the 458 Ferrari Italia at the Shift-Sector event who bought a 335 on the phone 10 minutes after 1) loosing to Shiv's 335 on the runway and 2) going for a ride in Shiv's car. But yeah, no M3's owners
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #115
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
M3 = handbuilt engine. I dunno... something about that. I like it.

Everyone always talks about "performance" (for which the M3 certainly is no slouch) and nobody ever talks about "quality". You pay more for one than the other. That's why an M car is set at it's pricepoint.

Both fine cars but at the end of the day... M3 > 335i
I don't think the M3 engine is hand built. The Youtube video you might have seen where it was being hand built was from when they were still developing the engine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #116
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I don't think the M3 engine is hand built. The Youtube video you might have seen where it was being hand built was from when they were still developing the engine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I've seen the "hand built" BMW S65 engine assembly video as well. BMW must build approximately 40 M3 engines per day. 10,000 engines in about 250 work days per year. I'm not sure what level of automation that warrants. It's all about the cost. If it is cheaper for them to hand build they will, cheaper to automate they will.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #117
understeer
Usual Suspect
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Hand built is not always all it is cracked up to be.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #118
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
You are responding to a unique case where maybe 5 people on this earth have spend $30K in mods on a car costing a little more than $40K.

Most 335's are like mine...a couple grand in mods (tune, meth, dps and LSD). I did this run two days ago coming home from work. Not even that good as I didn't even brake boost...started in 2nd gear. The 0-60 was uphill too...on a level surface I typically log mid-3's...sometimes better. Check out the 0-100 time as well. No bolt-on M3 can do this with 19" street tires. Takes a supercharged one plus sticky tires to get these times.

And you aren't getting 50 Hp with "test pipes and a tune" on your M3. You are dreaming if you think you will.

Face it, most modded 335s will smoke you in a straight line. Track? Well of course the M3 has the advantage. But the 335 as a bad buy? Please.
You're dreaming if you think only 5 people on this earth have spent that much money on a 335, I know how it work, I did it myself with an A4 couple of years ago, you think a 335 with a tune will be as nice as an M3 and cheaper, then you realise you need an exhaust and intercooler and meth, after that you want suspension and wheels and brakes, then you want to add some exterior mods to make it look as aggressive as an M3, and finally you realise that every time you see an M3 you still want one!!

As for the test pipes and tune, I have no problem believing TMS when they claim 40whp gain with their stage2, if you don't I'd be curious to know why!

And by the way, from the 5 tuned 335s I've raced , only one was faster then my stock M3 and it was by a hood on a 50-130mph race and when we WOT, my car took that hood so he only was coming back from behind! I also was running neck to neck with my bodies C63 this week-end at the 1/4mile track, it was a matter of who did the best launch!

Name:  m3 vs c3.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  251.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #119
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
You're dreaming if you think only 5 people on this earth have spent that much money on a 335, I know how it work, I did it myself with an A4 couple of years ago, you think a 335 with a tune will be as nice as an M3 and cheaper, then you realise you need an exhaust and intercooler and meth, after that you want suspension and wheels and brakes, then you want to add some exterior mods to make it look as aggressive as an M3, and finally you realise that every time you see an M3 you still want one!!
I was $17K into my 335i with suspension and FBO..still didnt feel nearly as planted as the M3..but it was def a fun car to whip around and held its own..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #120
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Alex, are you DCT?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #121
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by understeer View Post
Hand built is not always all it is cracked up to be.
Fantastic video. I've mentioned many times I actually prefer machine made to hand made in almost all cases.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #122
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Price was a factor for me too...All the 335s at the dealers near me had similar inflated prices (economics - supply/demand...I totally understand), plus having rich google people around in the area who don't give a damn about price doesn't help (jk, but true). I was also shocked at CPO prices on the 2008s...its great the cars hold value. If I was gonna spend some bread, I thought I might as well go all the way and get exactly what I wanted.

Ryan and his Steve Thomas BMW prices were unbelivable....it was a no brainer. No hassle ordering of the exact car you want - priceless. Pay local price or pay a little more for a custom ordered M3. It was a no brainer. Plus I really wanted an M3. If I got a 335, I would probably always be harboring even a tiny bit of regret (ok, maybe a lot). It would suck to have to rationalize why 335 is a better purchase, even though my heart would always be longing for the m3. Buyers remorse is a bitch to live with, especially when it happens with so many other purchases in life. Life is too short, you gotta buy what you feel is right for you deep down in your heart. It's worth the stretch for me.
      07-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #123
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Seriously, for regular driving, just get the 328i w/ sport. Then take the leftover money and get yourself a distinctive older BMW of some type. I have a '79 E21 Euro, and it gets more props than an M3, even in so-so dress.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #124
f136661
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650ix Gran Coupe

Garage List
Try the 335is
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #125
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

I have had my 335 M Sport Coupe for almost 7 months. Its a great vehicle and the most fun I've ever had with a car. Great value and can be an awesome DD. The power is right there in the low RPM's which is great.

That being said, every time I see an M3 I want one... My "plan" is to buy a CPO'd 2013 M in 2015. Then again a lot depends on what happens with the F series the next 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #126
LindaTheCat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver
for all those who mentioned fuel economy as a factor..... efff offffff. The only reasons you would care about gas mileage are
a. You cant afford the extra 150 bucks a month on gas!!
b. your a enviro friendly, green, tree hugger
c. gas mileage is a priority as a purchase decision
If you are either of these or think gas mileage is a priority then the M3 or any GT performance car should never be a thought... buy a prius
Exactly right! It's only about $1000 bucks more per year. Perhaps 20% more than 335i. Let that part alone rest, M3 is superior in all the other aspects.

Is that really your concern given the fact your budget allows you to go for an M3? Let Santa Clown leave you some gas cards this year.
      10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #127
Tee-Tom
Private First Class
Nigeria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I don't dispute the speed, I dispute the feel. The 335i modded is faster than my car, but so what? It feels less solid/refined/expensive and the few tunes I drove on my 335i made it feel kinda choppy and even less refined than stock... not to mention the HPFP that they can't seem to get right. I had mine in for service close to 10 times in a year for fuel pump issues, including multiple limp modes (and this was both before and after tuning and track use, so that isn't why). They replaced my fuel pump with 2 or 3 different "upgraded" fuel pumps, which each failed.
A friend of mine also had a 2008 335i and had the same fuel pump issues and was bone stock. It isn't just some internet myth.

The N55 cars seem much more reliable, but it still isn't going to drive like a M. Just sit in both, the leather in the M3 is softer and the car feels like a $60k car. I can't say the same about the 335i, even though I definitely respect the modded 335i's and the speeds they are capable of.

I'm not hating on the 335i, they're cool cars and can be made very fast for cheap. But it is not going to drive like a M3. The E92 M3 is the most "solid" feeling car I've driven other than italians. My 2c.
I have a suggestion for the limp home troubles you are having on the 335i. I had this and my garage out here said they found out that there was dirt or something hindering the waste gate. That was cleaned out and have had no more limp-home mode problems again.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #128
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Tom View Post
I have a suggestion for the limp home troubles you are having on the 335i. I had this and my garage out here said they found out that there was dirt or something hindering the waste gate. That was cleaned out and have had no more limp-home mode problems again.
Thanks, but I have a M3 now
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #129
Tee-Tom
Private First Class
Nigeria
Rep

I have a 2008 E92 335i and thought I'd wait for the next F/M3/4. I then ran into a 2008 E93 M3 with 6000 miles. Though I'd rather not do a convertible, M3s here are as rare at hens' teeth so didnt have much of a choice. I bought it.

The drive was so harsh and noisy that I sent it back to the garage to have it checked out. I just got a call that the car is in perfect shape and that I simply had to get used to it. I'll pick it up tomorrow and try to drive it for a few more days. If I cant live with the harshness/coarseness, I may sell it and keep the 335.

This is such a dissapointment as this car had always been my dream. I had driven an E46 M3 and loved it so dont understand how I dont like the suppossed 'better car'.

The scuttle shake is awful. With the top down you almost have to catch the mirror.

I hope I get my 'eureka' moment tomorrow and fall hopelessly in love otherwise a broken heart I will surely have.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #130
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Tom View Post
I have a 2008 E92 335i and thought I'd wait for the next F/M3/4. I then ran into a 2008 E93 M3 with 6000 miles. Though I'd rather not do a convertible, M3s here are as rare at hens' teeth so didnt have much of a choice. I bought it.

The drive was so harsh and noisy that I sent it back to the garage to have it checked out. I just got a call that the car is in perfect shape and that I simply had to get used to it. I'll pick it up tomorrow and try to drive it for a few more days. If I cant live with the harshness/coarseness, I may sell it and keep the 335.

This is such a dissapointment as this car had always been my dream. I had driven an E46 M3 and loved it so dont understand how I dont like the suppossed 'better car'.

The scuttle shake is awful. With the top down you almost have to catch the mirror.

I hope I get my 'eureka' moment tomorrow and fall hopelessly in love otherwise a broken heart I will surely have.
I bought an e93 M about 4 months ago.. its definitely not as refined as I was expecting it to be. The ride is fine but it can rattle around over rough roads.

Make sure all your connections/grommets/bushings/etc. are fresh and lubricated to avoid unnecessary NVH from road surfaces.

I had an e46 M3 vert as well and that thing was like riding around in a go cart. You literally had to yell at the person in the passenger seat. The e93 is not as bad, especially on smooth roads, but once your at interstate speeds and the road gets rough... you know your in a convertible.

As with everything, there's tradeoffs. The car can really shake around with the top down, but.. you get to listen to the pure awesomeness of your exhaust note.

Once you put an exhaust and other mods on the car you really don't notice the NVH as much as before because the exhaust note becomes the prominent noise that occupants hear. I like the car much better with an exhaust on it than without.

Just a little insight from a fellow owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #131
Tee-Tom
Private First Class
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
I bought an e93 M about 4 months ago.. its definitely not as refined as I was expecting it to be. The ride is fine but it can rattle around over rough roads.

Make sure all your connections/grommets/bushings/etc. are fresh and lubricated to avoid unnecessary NVH from road surfaces.

I had an e46 M3 vert as well and that thing was like riding around in a go cart. You literally had to yell at the person in the passenger seat. The e93 is not as bad, especially on smooth roads, but once your at interstate speeds and the road gets rough... you know your in a convertible.

As with everything, there's tradeoffs. The car can really shake around with the top down, but.. you get to listen to the pure awesomeness of your exhaust note.

Once you put an exhaust and other mods on the car you really don't notice the NVH as much as before because the exhaust note becomes the prominent noise that occupants hear. I like the car much better with an exhaust on it than without.

Just a little insight from a fellow owner.
Thanks a lot for that. I will try to drive it again for the rest of the week and revert
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #132
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Alex, are you DCT?
nop
Appreciate 0