BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

10-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #45
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
But I still think that flappy paddles are for people who dont appreciate wheat real driving is all about.
The opposite could be argued as well.

Quote:
Learn to REALLY drive people, you're missing out!
The thing is, real driving doesn't have much to do with how the driver selects gear ratios. Real driving is about car control and effectively using the powerband of the engine. Obviously there are lots of details in there, sure, but DCT is designed specifically to aid the driver in reaching these goals while allowing them to do devote more brain power to the task of keeping the car on the road or track. And it succeeds by most accounts. Traditionally, it was true that you needed a manual transmission to really get the most from the engine. But it is no longer that case. There is nothing about pushing a clutch pedal and moving a stick through an H-gate that will make the driver more successful at these goals.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #46
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

So what you're basically saying is that if you have a small brain, then dct is better? haha sorry, just messing around, had to..

I'm never going to convince you or anyone else that driving a proper manual transmission is part of the driver experience. All I can say is that it just IS and you wont have any idea what I'm talking about until you try it. I would wager that most people who buy DCT dont know how to heel-toe, rev match, etc because anyone who has had that level of human-car interaction wouldnt want to lose it on a car like the M3. We need more real drivers on the forum that know what I'm talking about. Can I get some enthusiast support in here please?!

I think the only real proper arguments for buying a DCT car is that if you live in a city and sit in traffic every day. Or maybe you have a partner that is useless at standard transmission. Beyond those I cant think of one reason why its better. Its CERTAINLY not because its more driver entertaining or interactive. Its just a big:
      10-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #47
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what you're basically saying is that if you have a small brain, then dct is better? haha sorry, just messing around, had to..
No problem. Speaking of small brains - you should probably read someone's sig carefully before replying.

Quote:
I'm never going to convince you or anyone else that driving a proper manual transmission is part of the driver experience. All I can say is that it just IS and you wont have any idea what I'm talking about until you try it.
I'll have to give it a try... someday.

Quote:
I would wager that most people who buy DCT dont know how to heel-toe, rev match, etc because anyone who has had that level of human-car interaction wouldnt want to lose it on a car like the M3.
Similarly, I bet most people who have actually taken a car around a course at high speed will prefer the DCT because anyone who has had that level of car control will never want to lose it on a car like the M3.

Quote:
We need more real drivers on the forum that know what I'm talking about. Can I get some enthusiast support in here please?!
What's heel-toe anyway? Is that a disease? Forgive me for the dumb question, I am not a real enthusiast like you.

Quote:
I think the only real proper arguments for buying a DCT car is that if you live in a city and sit in traffic every day. Or maybe you have a partner that is useless at standard transmission. Beyond those I cant think of one reason why its better.
Actually I agree with you on that. The reason is, I was reading an interview with the engineers and designers who worked on some performance cars like the Nissan GT-R and the Ferrari 430 Scuderia. They specifically said that the only reason they don't offer a stick on those cars is because they were designed for people who sit in traffic all day.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #48
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:

I'm never going to convince you or anyone else that driving a proper manual transmission is part of the driver experience. All I can say is that it just IS and you wont have any idea what I'm talking about until you try it. I would wager that most people who buy DCT dont know how to heel-toe, rev match, etc because anyone who has had that level of human-car interaction wouldnt want to lose it on a car like the M3. We need more real drivers on the forum that know what I'm talking about. Can I get some enthusiast support in here please?!

I think the only real proper arguments for buying a DCT car is that if you live in a city and sit in traffic every day. Or maybe you have a partner that is useless at standard transmission. Beyond those I cant think of one reason why its better. Its CERTAINLY not because its more driver entertaining or interactive. Its just a big:

OK. So now it's not that paddle shifting is for women it's just that real drivers would never use it. Thanks for clarifying. I am humbled that a real driver would take the time to enlighten me.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #49
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

997gt3 - my pleasure. Have fun in your video game with wheels.

mkoesel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe
      10-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #50
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. And here's one for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #51
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
997gt3 - my pleasure. Have fun in your video game with wheels.

mkoesel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe

Oh I will. Be seeing you heel toeing out my rearview mirror.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #52
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Folks, take it easy. I've never seen a MT vs DCT discussion go anywhere on this forum, and there are lots and lots threads on it. I'd say to each his/her own. Peace.
      10-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #53
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
yes. i am always pro change when it comes to cars... and girlfriends
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #54
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Did your GT3 arrive yet? You now the one with the manly transmission . If so pics, specs, all the good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #55
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

this thread is somewhat funny for me, since I got 6sp manual because of my wife. She just hates anything else. The problem is she is plainly refusing to even try any other transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #56
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My dad is bigger than your dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
this thread is somewhat funny for me, since I got 6sp manual because of my wife. She just hates anything else. The problem is she is plainly refusing to even try any other transmission.
You married right!
      10-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #57
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

If those looks get you off it´ll be good. I think is very "Nissan" looking myself and don´t really appreciate the lines. Not for me.
      10-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #58
Chinchini
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 Alpine White M3

z06
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #59
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
This thread has changed greatly from the original question.

How come it's all about manuals and semi-autos, , anyway while on the subject of which is better and which is the 'REAL' driver's choice, frankly it's all down to the individual. Though some manufacturers have sort of forced the customer down the semi-auto like Ferrari with their most extreme driver's car solely coming with semi-autos and then there is Porsche with the GT3 and it solely available as a manual. But no matter what anyone wants the future is moving away from true manuals.

Frankly I prefer doing the shifting if I was on a track but I don't see it and the main thing for the driver, it's controlling the car's steering, throttle and brakes that make up the bulk of the experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #60
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-18 View Post
My cousin have a GTR, his miles is 24987, so he told me he want to trade for my E93. My E93 have only 7297 miles. Should I go for it Or not?
Get it checked out first and make sure you are satisfied that the car is in good condition and the warranty is intact. Regular maintenance may be cheap but repair bills are big $$$s.
      10-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #61
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Did your GT3 arrive yet? You now the one with the manly transmission . If so pics, specs, all the good stuff.
Sadly I killed the order(the first car I've ever cancelled). I'm putting it off for a year. I was trying to rationalize having a GTR for my winter car and a GT3 as my summer vehicle but came to the conclusion I was being silly. I ordered an X6M(which I'm picking up in South Carolina in two weeks) instead and decided that I'll buy a GT3 when I sell my Nissan. It was a hard decision.

Did you get your bad boy? If so, I'm really jealous.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #62
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

You married right![/QUOTE]

I am not so sure!! In Europe manual is the norm, so we all learned on manual cars. But I see double clutch trany as the future.
I test drove both 6sp and DCT car 3 times back to back and felt the 6sp more alive felt like I was doing more. But now sometimes on the track I would welcome the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #63
tim3less
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 STi

im sorry but i dislike E93s. get the GTR or a used 997tt
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #64
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Sadly I killed the order(the first car I've ever cancelled). I'm putting it off for a year. I was trying to rationalize having a GTR for my winter car and a GT3 as my summer vehicle but came to the conclusion I was being silly. I ordered an X6M(which I'm picking up in South Carolina in two weeks) instead and decided that I'll buy a GT3 when I sell my Nissan. It was a hard decision.

Did you get your bad boy? If so, I'm really jealous.
Goes to production early Nov. I hear goods things about this ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #65
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Word is the new 997 Turbo Mk2 is something very special indeed.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #66
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Word is the new 997 Turbo Mk2 is something very special indeed.
I'd be amazed if it weren't. Porsche has been seriously trashed by Nissan, and I'm really looking forward to their answer. Not the "They cheated!" answer, but the answer in product form.

Way back when (before we knew anything), I pretty much guaranteed the GT-R would be a killer car, for reasons of business and national pride.

Same deal for the Porsche.

Bruce
Appreciate 0