BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

05-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

How the hell do I check the oil on a used e92 I just took delivery of?

The title pretty much sums it up. The car came with no owners manual (who buys a $70k car and loses shit like this). I bought the car sight unseen (as bad as it scared me) and am trying to get warmed up to it. I've searched the forums and didn't find anything about how to physically see the oil. I want to see, smell, and feel it.

Any advise is appreciated!

Who in the hell builds a motor with no dipstick. That's just plan ignorant. Even if its NEVER uses, what hurt does a damn stick do sitting there?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

go on BMW website and download the manual for your car, then read it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just drive it until warm and press the button on the end of the indicator stalk (left). Cycle through the displays until you get the oil indicator. You will get the measurement while driving.
If your are stopped you may see the little clock ticking down for a few minutes before it shows the measurement.
The engine must be hot.
      05-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
You can't unless you jack up your car and drain bit of oil and check it out that way or you you can slowly and carefully remove the oil filter and examine what you can that way.

If there is no record of the last oil change and you're skeptical, then just change the oil yourself. It's only what $80 or less (depending on where you buy your oil/filter) and that's nothing compared to what you paid for your car.

Good luck.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 05-12-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
The title pretty much sums it up. The car came with no owners manual (who buys a $70k car and loses shit like this). I bought the car sight unseen (as bad as it scared me) and am trying to get warmed up to it. I've searched the forums and didn't find anything about how to physically see the oil. I want to see, smell, and feel it.

Any advise is appreciated!

Who in the hell builds a motor with no dipstick. That's just plan ignorant. Even if its NEVER uses, what hurt does a damn stick do sitting there?

Thanks guys.
Buy a different car as the s65 doesnt have a dipstick and you dont seem like you will ever be happy unless you get your stick.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
You can't unless you jack up your car and drain bit of oil and check it out that way or you you can slowly and carefully remove the oil filter and examine what you can that way.

If there is no record of the last oil change and you're skeptical, then just change the oil yourself. It's only what $80 or less (depending on where you buy your oil/filter) and that's nothing compared to what you compared to your car.

Good luck.
This. Nothing like feeling her underside if you two want to bond.

And just so you know, the e-reading of the oil level happens whenever the car feels like it, so it can happen on an incline, or as you throw her around corners with abandon, meaning the actual level can be a bit different. Welcome to the brave new world...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosholoza View Post
Just drive it until warm and press the button on the end of the indicator stalk (left). Cycle through the displays until you get the oil indicator. You will get the measurement while driving.
If your are stopped you may see the little clock ticking down for a few minutes before it shows the measurement.
The engine must be hot.
Thanks for actually helping the OP. While the other dip shits, I mean dip sticks offer nothing of value as usual. Everyone wants to talk shit. No one wants to help. 90% of the fools posting rude remarks on this forum are the trust fund college kids that had mommy and daddy lease it for them. So they have nothing better to do.

To the OP. I understand your frustration. I wondered the same thing when I first got mine too. And not having a dipstick is a joke. The computer takes forever to tell you and it changes each time I look it.
      05-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Thanks for actually helping the OP. While the other dip shits, I mean dip sticks offer nothing of value as usual. Everyone wants to talk shit. No one wants to help. 90% of the fools posting rude remarks on this forum are the trust fund college kids that had mommy and daddy lease it for them. So they have nothing better to do.

To the OP. I understand your frustration. I wondered the same thing when I first got mine too. And not having a dipstick is a joke. The computer takes forever to tell you and it changes each time I look it.
Ha.. Finally some one else who owns an M because they are a "gear head" and not because its a BMW. Anyone who is a gear head understands why a dipstick is a must. If you dont understand the need, you dont deserve to drive a performance car.

Yeah the indicator is cool, but no interaction with the motor. It would suck to drain the oil only to find its new. Damnit, this shouldn't be an issue!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Buy a different car as the s65 doesnt have a dipstick and you dont seem like you will ever be happy unless you get your stick.
What?!%&
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:

Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP didn't curse.

Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP appeared to have done more than zero research before buying a $70K car.

Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP had done a search before asking a question.

I get your point, just saying there are two sides to it.

OP - BMW engines have not come with a dipstick since approximately 2006/7. The answer to your question is above in post #3
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha.. Finally some one else who owns an M because they are a "gear head" and not because its a BMW. Anyone who is a gear head understands why a dipstick is a must. If you dont understand the need, you dont deserve to drive a performance car.

Yeah the indicator is cool, but no interaction with the motor. It would suck to drain the oil only to find its new. Damnit, this shouldn't be an issue!
I disagree.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP didn't curse.

Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP appeared to have done more than zero research before buying a $70K car.

Maybe people would be more helpful if the OP had done a search before asking a question.

I get your point, just saying there are two sides to it.

OP - BMW engines have not come with a dipstick since approximately 2006/7. The answer to your question is above in post #3
So I performed "0" research because I didnt know it it lacked a dipstick. Research is part of my daily professional job pal. Why do you talk of things which you know "0" about?

Forums would be a lot less trashed if people who had knowledge were the only ones answering questions. I realize that means you wouldn't be speaking much at all, but still.

I moved from a different forum thinking its a BMW, they'll be more grown up over there. I realize, there are more wise guys here than any forum I've been on. Opinionated is more the appropriate word. I don't care what your OPINION is, give me the facts. Im an engineer and thats how I do my work. Facts and details, no bs or maybe this or that, or you should that!! Would you want me designing the seat belt system for your car if a guy like you was on the other end giving me the design parameters.

Less is more!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I performed "0" research because I didnt know it it lacked a dipstick. Research is part of my daily professional job pal. Why do you talk of things which you know "0" about?

Forums would be a lot less trashed if people who had knowledge were the only ones answering questions. I realize that means you wouldn't be speaking much at all, but still.

I moved from a different forum thinking its a BMW, they'll be more grown up over there. I realize, there are more wise guys here than any forum I've been on. Opinionated is more the appropriate word. I don't care what your OPINION is, give me the facts. Im an engineer and thats how I do my work. Facts and details, no bs or maybe this or that, or you should that!! Would you want me designing the seat belt system for your car if a guy like you was on the other end giving me the design parameters.

Less is more!!
Lol. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:

Err...how does the post you quoted have to do with what the OP is asking? OP specifically asked how to physically check the oil, not check the level of the oil. If he were to ask the latter, I'm sure he could just Google it and quickly find the answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Err...how does the post you quoted have to do with what the OP is asking? OP specifically asked how to physically check the oil, not check the level of the oil. If he were to ask the latter, I'm sure he could just Google it and quickly find the answer.
Apparently not.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Do an oil change
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Do an oil change
Yeah thats about the only way to feel confident. When it comes to my cars I want NO ONE working on them besides me because you never know what monkey could have been inside your machine! As scary as thinking about someone else inside your girl!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Yeah thats about the only way to feel confident. When it comes to my cars I want NO ONE working on them besides me because you never know what monkey could have been inside your machine! As scary as thinking about someone else inside your girl!!
ease up with the paranoia its not healthy
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
ease up with the paranoia its not healthy
You call it paranoia, I call it covering my second most expensive investment!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #20
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

If you bought the car as an investment - you are doing it wrong....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
If you bought the car as an investment - you are doing it wrong....
K
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Honestly, listen to the other guys and do an oil change. Never hurts to do them every 5k-7.5k miles either. Oil kits can be bought at getbmwparts.com for $160. The DYI is available here too http://www.billswebspace.com/bmwm3.htm at the bottom of the page.

Happy Hunting!