BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #23
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Aston Martin's are the best looking cars on the road, period.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:59 AM   #24
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Aston Martin's are the best looking cars on the road, period.
by far.

Give me a 430 Scuderia, a DBS and my own E90 M3 and I'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #25
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Over here you can get plenty of 2006 model AMV8's with around 15,000 miles for 44-50k...thats the same price for a new m3! sometimes the m3 is actually 50+
      10-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #26
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Over here you can get plenty of 2006 model AMV8's with around 15,000 miles for 44-50k...thats the same price for a new m3! sometimes the m3 is actually 50+
A 2006 V8 Vantage is about the same price as a new M3 over here as well (at least in Texas). I looked at a couple before my wife knocked some sense into me (I think she was just worried about how much attention I would get in it). Also, the previous model Vantage just doesn't have the same performance as the M3.

My dream car is the DBS.
      10-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #27
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
A 2006 V8 Vantage is about the same price as a new M3 over here as well (at least in Texas). I looked at a couple before my wife knocked some sense into me (I think she was just worried about how much attention I would get in it). Also, the previous model Vantage just doesn't have the same performance as the M3.

My dream car is the DBS.
Yeah you're right about the performance. I wouldnt mind though. The 2006 model is still a great performer and sounds amazing. Plus it's one of my fav designs.
      10-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
nathandetroit
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: E92 335+M3, F430, Land Rover

I've been fortunate to own both, the Aston is better looking and is much more special, but to be honest the M3 is much faster and better to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #29
Sovereignty
sovereignty
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M 6MT

If I had an AM, i will not care if an M3 is faster. It is the same case with the Audi R8. those cars are soo beautiful that I dont think one should care if they are not that fast. just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #30
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I have a friend that owns the AMV8. It's def a sexy car and drives well... When you drive it you really don't care too much about if your car is faster or what. It's a great car to drive and the sound that it makes is ugh.....

The only problem with it thou is that it's plagued with bugs and issues. He's had it in the shop for almost 2 months out of the 14 months he's had it so far....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #31
meevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cars

I was just thinking about this today, with the new AM Vantage..

I was actually wondering what about it makes it so expensive? Though the new one is much faster than the old one, the base price is still twice as much as an M3's.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #32
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

You're paying for the prestige, looks, and a certificate to a fake british accent.
      07-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #33
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Astons are seriously beautiful, although it bugs me a little that they basically all look the same and have done for the past 15 years. What's the use in buying a $ six figure brand new car when you could buy a 10 year old one that looks very close for $40k?

For a very similar look get a Jag XK.

I've never been much of a fan of Lambo's or their styling, but to my eyes the Gallardo is the most exciting/best looking current car without going completely over the top.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #34
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
by far.

Give me a 430 Scuderia, a DBS and my own E90 M3 and I'll be fine.
+1 That stable of cars would keep me up every nite just thinking about all the time im wasting sleeping
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #35
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
Astons are seriously beautiful, although it bugs me a little that they basically all look the same and have done for the past 15 years. What's the use in buying a $ six figure brand new car when you could buy a 10 year old one that looks very close for $40k?

I've never been much of a fan of Lambo's or their styling, but to my eyes the Gallardo is the most exciting/best looking current car without going completely over the top.
The newer astons 2005 DB9 and 2006 AM V8 Vantage and 2008 DBS ownwards do have a certain resemblance. I agree, but thats like saying to a layman the 3, 5, 7 series all looks the same except for size. Or the Mercedes C, E, S class? I mean I understand where your coming from, but all 3 of those astons built for different purposes just like the bimmers and mercs lineup!

However, the astons of yester years prior to the Model years mentioned, dont look close to the current designs. IMO Aston Martin is the most sought out and prestigious name after Ferrari!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #36
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Astons and M3 are not generally cross shopped.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #37
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post

Aston Martin and the Jag XK were designed by the same person (Ian Callum)

CA
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #38
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Both are great cars, trust me I know. If you're vain and want to get noticed, get the AMV8; if you really appreciate cars, engineering, and like to drive fast, get the M3. Honestly, the AMV8 is more 'special,' but the M3 is the better car. Especially if you spend some of the difference on a RDSport stroker motor. Then the M3 is more special and better in every respect.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #39
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

I love the look of the Aston. Beautiful car - keen to see Project 177... but to be honest as a DD or a car to truly respect the M3 is that... especially since this model of M3s will be the last with the V8s....

Mmmmmm I'm salivating at the thought of my M3.... 129 days to go....
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #40
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

+1 the AM Vantage is a showman's car. The styling is gorgeous and the exhaust note is to die for. I wouldn't mind having the Vantage so long as I keep my M3.
      07-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #41
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by F000007 View Post
...I am as discreet as possible and never like to get unnecessary attention so prefer to be least noticed. I buy a car solely for my personal enjoyment and if I could drive it without anyone taking notice it would be the optimal outcome. Of course this is not a possibility living in a large city...
With due respect, mentioning Aston and discreet in the same paragraph just doen't work. In my opinion, they are stunningly beautiful vehicles, but the looks are discreet only if you compare them to something expensive and flavorful from Italy. Compared to the ubiquitous Malibus, Camrys and Accords on our roads, they simply draw and hold your eyes (and ears) as they motor by. In my experience, most car folks go silent for a few seconds after seeing an Aston roll by. They're just that beautiful.

For something discreet and fun in the city, find a Checker Marathon body (in cab yellow, of course), and fit it over a ZR1 chassis, engine and drivetrain.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #42
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F000007 View Post
There is nothing vain or showman about Astons (only the person behind the wheel can possibly be such). These cars are the exact opposite. Where Ferrari and especially Lamborghini are as extrovert and pretentious as possible, Aston plays in that league with cars that are immensely more understated and subdued. They are purchased by people who appreciate the best old-world craftsmanship and technological art that is infused into these cars, coupled with great performance which is never on the same level as Ferrari/Lamborghini but these people do not care one bit about that because the last thing on their mind is weather the car does 0-60 in 4 or 5 seconds and if it hits 200 mph or a little less than that. It is the immaculate hand-built work that makes Astons the most gorgeous cars in the world (matter of personal taste of course) and this is the main reason why people choose to buy one. I have driven the 4.7l V8V and it is an indescribably special car and it outshines the M3 in every aspect except the performance numbers which are almost identical (it does have 50 lb/ft of torque more so the power delivery is a bit better). The M3 is the ultimate bargain made possible by the size and structure of BMW and the fact that it shares a lot of development expenses and components with regular series cars (not talking only about the technical things). I love the M in every way and it is a car that many more people know about and therefore it gets even more attention (quantitatively) than an Aston. With this said, I am of a mindset as described above and love Astons most so my next purchase will be one of their cars. I am as discreet as possible and never like to get unnecessary attention so prefer to be least noticed. I buy a car solely for my personal enjoyment and if I could drive it without anyone taking notice it would be the optimal outcome. Of course this is not a possibility living in a large city. Just describing things from a perspective of existing and future Aston owners because I get the impression that there are oversights made in people's comments.

+ 1 Very well said, my next vehicle will most likely be a AM V8 and then we can order it together
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #43
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
With due respect, mentioning Aston and discreet in the same paragraph just doen't work. In my opinion, they are stunningly beautiful vehicles, but the looks are discreet only if you compare them to something expensive and flavorful from Italy. Compared to the ubiquitous Malibus, Camrys and Accords on our roads, they simply draw and hold your eyes (and ears) as they motor by. In my experience, most car folks go silent for a few seconds after seeing an Aston roll by. They're just that beautiful.

For something discreet and fun in the city, find a Checker Marathon body (in cab yellow, of course), and fit it over a ZR1 chassis, engine and drivetrain.

Bruce
On reading his full post I can see exactly where he is coming from. Compared to almost all other supercars (which all Astons are) they are very discrete in appearance, though not in engine note.

But I couldn't agree with you more that they are among the most beautiful of cars, in fact they ARE the most beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
But I couldn't agree with you more that they are among the most beautiful of cars, in fact they ARE the most beautiful.
With one very notable exception:

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...es-and-videos/

Appreciate 0