BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Turner test pipes eliminated my drone

I had Turner test pipes installed earlier this week and I couldn't be happier.
I have a an Agency Power axle back and factory X pipe. The AP added some needed rumble, but it did drone slightly on the highway. Not unbearable, but it was noticeable.
When I ordered the test pipes my biggest fear was increased drone but I'm happy to report that the drone is essentially gone! On the highway there is an increase in exhaust volume over stock, but it is probably quieter than just the axle back. Plus, it just sounds better. Now it's not drone, it's a mild muscle/exotic car rumble....until you get on it, then it screams way louder than the AP exhaust alone, haha. It's sort of like sound "on demand".
Anyway, I know there's a lot of info on TTP's but I thought I'd share my experience for those considering this.

Next is a BPMsport tune tonight. Anxious to feel the difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
I had Turner test pipes installed earlier this week and I couldn't be happier.
I have a an Agency Power axle back and factory X pipe. The AP added some needed rumble, but it did drone slightly on the highway. Not unbearable, but it was noticeable.
When I ordered the test pipes my biggest fear was increased drone but I'm happy to report that the drone is essentially gone! On the highway there is an increase in exhaust volume over stock, but it is probably quieter than just the axle back. Plus, it just sounds better. Now it's not drone, it's a mild muscle/exotic car rumble....until you get on it, then it screams way louder than the AP exhaust alone, haha. It's sort of like sound "on demand".
Anyway, I know there's a lot of info on TTP's but I thought I'd share my experience for those considering this.

Next is a BPMsport tune tonight. Anxious to feel the difference.
Throw any codes with just test pipes installed. Really wanting to do this!
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
Get Test pipes and a tune already!
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, after about 25 miles I got the Increased Emissions warning. Everyone does. It doesn't affect the performance but it's annoying. I have enough warning lights going off in my Jeep, don't need it in the M3 too, haha. The tune will eliminate that though along with providing some other performance benefits.
I'd say go for it, just know what you're in for and set aside some money for a Stage II tune at some point.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and Sean Kilpatrick was KILLING IT last night from deep!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
Get Test pipes and a tune already!
ahhhh I know....I just bought bmw performance spoiler, carbon mirror caps and bmw performance steering wheel!!!

I know its gonna be 400+ for test pipes and then another 900+ for the tune

Quote:
Oh, and Sean Kilpatrick was KILLING IT last night from deep!
7 of 10 didn't he?

#600 post... I need to get a life
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Awesome! Post up a VID!
Congrats!

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ahhhh I know....I just bought bmw performance spoiler, carbon mirror caps and bmw performance steering wheel!!!

I know its gonna be 400+ for test pipes and then another 900+ for the tune

7 of 10 didn't he?

#600 post... I need to get a life
I think he and Parker combined for 7 of 10. He had 19 total points but I know he missed his first 6 shots. Got hot when it counted though. You're about right for the pipes and tune, my install was less than $200, so figure that as well. It's a $1500 project at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep

Quote:
I think he and Parker combined for 7 of 10. He had 19 total points but I know he missed his first 6 shots. Got hot when it counted though. You're about right for the pipes and tune, my install was less than $200, so figure that as well. It's a $1500 project at the end of the day.

Was supposed to watch the game at the in-laws and stayed home to watch Barney's greatest hits with the kids....

Clamp or weld your pipes in? Let me know about the BPM tune results. I saw the thread battle between them and ESS today
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Thanks for the review. I have the megan axle-back which is the same exhaust essentially, and I wanted to get the TTP, but I am concerned about extra noise while cruising in the city or freeway.

I also have BPM Stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was supposed to watch the game at the in-laws and stayed home to watch Barney's greatest hits with the kids....

Clamp or weld your pipes in? Let me know about the BPM tune results. I saw the thread battle between them and ESS today
Honestly, not sure if they were clamped or welded. Probably clamped because I asked them to make it as reversible as possible, but I don't have the invoice in front of me.

Yeah, that's the biz....oh well. Tune review below.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
Thanks for the review. I have the megan axle-back which is the same exhaust essentially, and I wanted to get the TTP, but I am concerned about extra noise while cruising in the city or freeway.

I also have BPM Stage 2 tune.
Yep, your results should mirror mine then. Downpipes should make a big difference. I think you'll like the sound, definitely louder but smoother. I don't know, it's like listening to music loud on a crappy stereo vs a good one, the good one sounds GOOD, not just LOUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

I did a separate thread for the tune if you guys are interested.
Appreciate 0