BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

09-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
SpeedRacer69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Pharmaceutical sales: Background check passed + job offer taken away???

Hey Guys and gals,

Not necessarily the right place to post it, but just wanted some insight to this. I know there are a couple of pharmaceutical sales reps on this forum.

Anyways, I've been interviewing for a couple of pharmaceutical sales jobs throughout the year (since april) and was turned down 3 times so far... All three companies I had gone to the very last step of the interview process, but they ALWAYS decided to go with the individual that already had pharmaceutical sales experience (I have 5+ sales/mgmt experience+ 4 yr degree fro accredited University, but no pharm sales experience).

Until a most recent company I have been interviewing for, after going through 4 interviews told me that I was the final candidate and that they had picked me to move onto the hiring process.

They run my background check and 2 1/2 weeks later I receive a voicemail from the district manager who would of been my boss, had told me that my background had gone through, everything was green and positive, I represented myself really well during the interview and did a good job but they decided not to move me forward into the hiring process for reasons they could not discuss with me. I have really good credit 750+, no criminal background what so ever, 4 year degree, everything so it wasn't my background and I don't think they would lie about it. I called him back asking why and was in disbelief that a company would run my background and decide not to move me forward and he said he could not discuss that with me? I told him it would be fair to let me know since I had invested a month and a half into the interview but he did not budge to tell me. Anyone know why they would decide to tell me that I was being potentially hired, run my background check, and change their mind? I am assuming they had a transfer from another state/city and decided it would not be professional of them to let me know the truth. I am really disappointed and just needed some advice. I know it's going to take 50 no's before someone finally says yes to hire me but just wanted some input and feedback. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Are you 100% positive on your references? Any doubt?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

just be an illegal pharmaceutical salesman. no application needed and tax-free income.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
mdmaxxx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i AW

Racism
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

What is your physical appearance? No homo, but every drug rep I know is always a very attractive person, female or male, always in excellent physical shape. They also all dress very well, its obvious they have a significant investment in attire.

Could this be the issue they "cant talk about"?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
What is your physical appearance? No homo, but every drug rep I know is always a very attractive person, female or male, always in excellent physical shape. They also all dress very well, its obvious they have a significant investment in attire.

My money is on appearance.
If they talked about it, you could sue them.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:

Yeah, this. I work (exec. management) in the pharma industry.

Have they ever taken a picture of you? Like for your visitors badge or anything? Assume the picture get's printed and stapled to the top of your resume.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
My money is on appearance.
If they talked about it, you could sue them.
2nd.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:

Why would they drag him through the interview process and BG check if they had already decided his appearance wasn't in line with their company image?

Sounds more probable that they had another candidate at the last minute who was more experienced.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
d_v_o_1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

agreed
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
they might have a "diversity initiative" in their hiring practices where they are being pressured to hire more minorities. this could be a possibility if their sales force is like 99% white and they have been sued or want to avoid being sued on the grounds of something involving racial discrimination. they can't tell you "it's because you're white we can't hire you", because then you might turn around and sue them for reverse discrimination. this stuff happens all the time in the corporate world.

if you think it's something about your background check, you could try paying for a background check on yourself and seeing what they come up with
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
sounds fun to be a pharmacist
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
sounds fun to be a pharmacist
lol this guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Maybe they looked into your private life and internet activity? Do you have party pics on fb?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
SpeedRacer69
Private
Rep

I don't think it has anything to do with appearance. I take care of myself and am very well groomed. Asian, 5'8 160 lbs. It may have been the minority thing though, my references were all contacted beforehand so that was not the issue and they would not lie about my background check. They would of told me straight out "because of this occurance, we were unable to move you forward blah blah..." Pretty bummed out Telling me I got it, then changing their mind last minute.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Lots of competition out there bro...keep plugging away..this is how a lot of non-experienced folks feel with their fresh degree.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer69 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with appearance. I take care of myself and am very well groomed. Asian, 5'8 160 lbs. It may have been the minority thing though, my references were all contacted beforehand so that was not the issue and they would not lie about my background check. They would of told me straight out "because of this occurance, we were unable to move you forward blah blah..." Pretty bummed out Telling me I got it, then changing their mind last minute.
Do you have a accent?

The only other thing that comes to mind, is that last minute, someone that knows someone in the company needed a job, or someone else applied that had a reference that knows someone in the company.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #18
SpeedRacer69
Private
Rep

no accent, english is my first language as I was born here. It's cool i'll just keep my head up and keep interviewing!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep

Yeah man, you sound like a great candidate. GL you will land something soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleIN View Post
they might have a "diversity initiative" in their hiring practices where they are being pressured to hire more minorities. this could be a possibility if their sales force is like 99% white and they have been sued or want to avoid being sued on the grounds of something involving racial discrimination. they can't tell you "it's because you're white we can't hire you", because then you might turn around and sue them for reverse discrimination. this stuff happens all the time in the corporate world.

if you think it's something about your background check, you could try paying for a background check on yourself and seeing what they come up with
It's still just called discrimination.

Holy shit, that is a real term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_discrimination Let me just put my foot in my mouth...
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #21
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

It is called affirmative action, maybe they have quota to fill with people of other ethics and sex. Otherwise he could just tell u the reason; someone is more qualify than u shows up or the position is no longer needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #22
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer69 View Post
There's your problem.