BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Question Can Am Spyder?

I will start this out saying yes, it's not a bike, and no it's not a car either. I did a quick cursory search and didn't find anything "spyder" is a bad term and "can" or "am" don't work well too....so if this has already been discussed and you know of the thread, please forgive my repost...

I would prefer a T-Rex or Scorpion P6, but they are way to expensive. I like the idea of the trike because I am afraid of others' ability to see me (RIP my Uncle killed, on a bike, by a drunk driver) -- I'm figuring it is a bit more visible than a normal bike. I also like the fact that it qualifies for the HOV lane where I live, so it is actually a (somewhat) practical toy.

Stuff we care about:

Weight: 700 pounds
HP: 106 @8500 r/min
TQ: 77
Redline: 10k r/min
0-60mph: 4.5s
Top Speed: ~110mph
MPG: 30-35
Engine Displacement: 990cc V-Twin

Anybody ever rent/try/buy one? Likes? Don't Likes? Seems like the biggest thing experienced riders don't like is the lack of leaning when turning. I am a non-rider, so this wouldn't affect me since I've never rode before.

Looks like used ones can be snagged for about $12500, which is rather steep for me, when looking at other touring bikes/trikes is actually pretty reasonable. The engine is a Rotax engine (Used by Aprilla bikes as well) and is supposed to be pretty reliable, some people have over 100k miles on theirs already.
      11-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Definately ride one before you buy. I am 30+ years on two wheels on the road. I was intrigued by the Spyder so I arranged through a friend (son in law to the dealer) for an extended test ride. The first few miles were down right scarey. I have ridden quads, snowmobiles, etc so I am familiar with the dynamics. At least I thought I was. It is like nothing I have ridden in the past. Very hard to describe. After about 10-15 easy miles I started to get the feel of it. I did a total of 250 miles but never felt 100% comfortable with the handling. Not sure I could get comfortable with that setup. As far as quality goes, very good. Fit and finish were excellent. The Rotax motor is a detuned version that Aprilia uses in their sport bikes. The motor is bullet proof and requires very little maintinence. Not saying it was bad, just not for me. Try one.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

^^ Thanks for the reply. Everything I've read says the same thing...One review said it felt like riding a cross between a jet-ski and a snowmobile, but with asphalt under you.

There is a place where I live where you can actually rent them. I'm definitely thinking about doing that. I live in one of the two states where you don't need a "M" endorsement on your license to operate one on public streets. (I'm not so sure that's a smart thing...but, I don't have one, so I guess it works for me...)

My father used to be into powered parachutes, and they used a Rotax engine. I don't remember which one, but it impressed me that it was reliable enough for aviation use.