BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Massachusetts may soon be unfriendly to drivers.

Gov. Patrick proposes higher fees for gas guzzlers. The issue is that if it is successful in pushing people to more fuel efficient vehicles, the state would actually lose money as people bought less fuel. But he has a plan for that, too.

"But Patrick cautioned that even if lawmakers raise the gas tax, the state would probably collect less money in the future as drivers buy more fuel-efficient cars and need less gas. Because of that, he is also considering a replacement that would charge drivers a fee for every mile they drive."

Good deal, eh? Punish people who live outside the city yet work in the city. I'd be screwed if they started that here.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Gov. Patrick proposes higher fees for gas guzzlers. The issue is that if it is successful in pushing people to more fuel efficient vehicles, the state would actually lose money as people bought less fuel. But he has a plan for that, too.

"But Patrick cautioned that even if lawmakers raise the gas tax, the state would probably collect less money in the future as drivers buy more fuel-efficient cars and need less gas. Because of that, he is also considering a replacement that would charge drivers a fee for every mile they drive."

Good deal, eh? Punish people who live outside the city yet work in the city. I'd be screwed if they started that here.
Damn, that would suck!!!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
I'm getting out of here......
      02-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
If I had to pay a $.05 for every mile I drove I would owe $2,500.

They can go fuck themselves on this one. Somehow we went from the country founded to get away from taxes. To the country that tries to stick as many hands in your pocket as possible.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
If I had to pay a $.05 for every mile I drove I would owe $2,500.

They can go fuck themselves on this one. Somehow we went from the country founded to get away from taxes. To the country that tries to stick as many hands in your pocket as possible.
Someones gotta pay for those asking for the handouts....

Coincidentaly, I did the math on my per mile cost on my lease. It is now $1.29/mile to drive my M. If I lived there and it passed, it would be $1.34. OUCH!
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
Someones gotta pay for those asking for the handouts....

Coincidentaly, I did the math on my per mile cost on my lease. It is now $1.29/mile to drive my M. If I lived there and it passed, it would be $1.34. OUCH!
The govt. need bitched slapped with all these handouts.

I just made up the $.05, seems reasonable though. To go higher then that the state would risk mass amounts of people moving.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Wow that governor is a phaggot. Tar and feather that douche.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

I'd be forking over $2000/yr at $.05/mile. Glad I don't live there anymore.

-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 02-19-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

I'll just take the fuck'n sticker off my car if they pass this. Thankfully I live close to my work place.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Wow, you mean he is considering a tax that actually taxes people on how much they drive, not just how expensive the car was?

How could this not be a good thing? If the commuters are clogging freeways and causing pollution, why not give them an incentive to take public transit, carpool or move closer to work? It sounds irresponsible to tax one vehicle for getting less miles per gallon if the owner is driving it less and consuming less gas overall.

I mean, I grew up and lived much of my life in California, and I would welcome such a law.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
Wow, you mean he is considering a tax that actually taxes people on how much they drive, not just how expensive the car was?

How could this not be a good thing? If the commuters are clogging freeways and causing pollution, why not give them an incentive to take public transit, carpool or move closer to work? It sounds irresponsible to tax one vehicle for getting less miles per gallon if the owner is driving it less and consuming less gas overall.

I mean, I grew up and lived much of my life in California, and I would welcome such a law.
I think the issue most people have with user pay taxes is that there isn't a concurrent reduction in broad based taxes.

I'd love to see a mileage based tax with a reduciton in my property taxes. However, even if you don't drive on roads, you still benefit from them.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well that works out peachy for you. For those of us who live in rural America, with my wife working in one town and me working in a town 55 miles away, public transportation is out of the question, as is moving. When I lived in MA I used to have a job that moved to different job sites all the time. Sometimes they were close by, sometimes they were out in western MA. If you work in the city and live in the burbs and mass transit is available, then you have a choice. Not everyone does, though.

Besides, how would they enforce this? The only way I could see them keeping track of mileage is during the yearly inspection (it is yearly, isn't it?).

Considering the mansion Deval owns and the tendency towards huge houses that cost a bundle to heat, maybe they should start charging a fee for square footage of your home. The mileage tax will hit the average blue collar worker harder than anyone else, especially folks in the trades.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
pdeacon
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi cpe

^ Ya man - what a joke - or how about the 5% salary increase/raise our states legislation decided to keep in tact for themselves that went into effect this yr?
Voted in by us taxpayers years ago when things were different?
He couldnt "re-visit" this "increase" and adjust/halt accordingly due to Mass.'s current state budget crisis and layoff's? Course not... it would make sense.

I believe their's some ridic talk about a "chip" or sensor placed on registrations that will calculate mileage? Although Im not positive on that detail.... maybe someone on here knows more about it than I do....
H&R ss/19" Breyton Race GTS's/carbon fiber roundels/HW V1
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:

I don't so much have a problem with a "pay to play" scenario, but the vast majority of these proposals in many states require the use of a GPS device. The Gov't installs the GPS device in your car to track your miles. Oh, and that also means they can record other driving information, and maybe even just issue speeding tickets based on that info. They even proposed that insurance rates could be tied into it, with variables like how fast you accelerate, or how hard you press the brakes. I'm not kidding about this stuff either. Do you really want a black box in your car, spying on your driving habits? NO THANK YOU!

Now, like I said, I don't so much mind the idea of those that use the systems and resources the most should pay for them. But the problem is that they don't generally intend to reduce the current burden on everyone, just layer on another tax or fee to the existing base. So now you pay just as much as before, PLUS an incremental fee for driving. And naturally, there will be exclusions and exemptions.

Besides, we already tax people more that drive less fuel efficient vehicles. They use more gas, which means they pay more gas tax. If you have a car that gets 40MPG, you are paying 1/4 the gas tax as someone driving an SUV getting 10MPG on a "per mile" basis.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

What we are really doing is paying higher taxes to keep government worker's pensions, benefits, salaries, lifestyles.

My buddy works in a women's jail as their dentist for 186k/year. Plus really awesome government benefits and a pension that will pay him 75% of his HIGHEST salary for the rest of his life- retire at 55-60.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Unrelated but I hate Boston right now. Seriously I'm pissed because I just got my Z the end of last year and I had to pay $400 in exise taxes to the city of Boston and now I get another bill for $400 for 2009. This is ridiculous. The worst part is I'm moving in a month and it specifically states that you have to pay even if you're moving and I don't think you get a credit at all if you move.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

One of the (very few) benefits of living out here in corn country is the low insurance rates. My Zed *and* my X5, both with full 100/300k coverage, cost me about a little less than $900/yr. Wifey's Civic with the same limits is $450/yr. That ain't hard to take. I was paying $900/yr just for my motorcycle when I lived in MA. No excise tax here either.

On the other hand, we get roads that are "paved" with oil and gravel that are chalk line straight and boring as can be. I need to drive 4 or 5 hours south to get to anything resembling twisties. So life is a trade-off. As long as they're not taxing me on mileage, I'll make do.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Unrelated but I hate Boston right now. Seriously I'm pissed because I just got my Z the end of last year and I had to pay $400 in exise taxes to the city of Boston and now I get another bill for $400 for 2009. This is ridiculous. The worst part is I'm moving in a month and it specifically states that you have to pay even if you're moving and I don't think you get a credit at all if you move.
The MA welfare system is wrong in so many levels, it's not even funny. That's why we are going broke.
      02-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

wow man i couldn't imagine if something like that was passed in cali. assuming people actually drove less, how would the public transportation system handle all the extra passengers? when i lived in vegas, if i took the bus to work it would be roughly two hours each way assuming nothing went wrong but it would be fifteen minutes tops with a car. how are they expecting people to throw away that much time?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #20
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Yup, Boston sucks to live. My brother moved there about 8 months ago for work and he absolutely hates it. Says he hates all the "massholes".....

Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to liver there......no offense to anyone.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #21
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Not a big deal. I would just pay it with that 4% raise I get a year.
Appreciate 0