BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

11-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
My 03 accord, abused like no other, 165k miles and strong!
LX though, and I-4

is your mom's a V6?
Both of the Accords are V6. I know of Honda's weak V6 auto tranny and all, but my mom drives like an old lady!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #24
zot09
Slick
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
If you are knocking on wood inside your TSX, just be aware it is actually fake. Knock on plood!

Yeah, an 04. The A/C in that car basically never worked right. Always made odd noises. To their credit though, Acura has been real good about working with me to try and resolve the problem. That counts for a lot.

I hope your 06 TSX gives you years of service though. Mine was probably just the first year follies.
Yep, I know...it's really ugly plood at that too! That's why I went with the "aluminum"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #25
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Mine was probably just the first year follies.
Honda built the TSX for a year or so before they sold it in the US. It's the Honda Accord that the rest of the world that doesn't super-size their french-fries gets.

My TSX was an '04, too. Consumer Reports gives the '04 pretty much all red dots (good) except for the audio system. They recommend the '04 as a used car.

Maybe yours was built on a Monday or during the Japanese equivalent of Oktoberfest? Or it fell off the truck?

BTW, the "wood" on the 3-series is just a millimeter or so of veneer glued to a composite and plastic base.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #26
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Don't be soo quick, the jury is still out on these cars over 50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #27
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmeration View Post
that's prolly because not all the parts are "really" from japan.
you mean the adhesive on the back of that decal didn't come from Japan too.
that is bunch of horseshit.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #28
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
If you think Acura's are not reliable cars, you have never owned and driven a Fiat
I test drove a Fiat and even the test car had lots of problems! I loved the way it drove, but you couldn't even get it off the lot without problems.

I've been watching reliability for decades and some recent Hondas and Toyotas have experienced serious problems with transmissions. But they still tend to be beat all German brands when it comes to reliability.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Honda built the TSX for a year or so before they sold it in the US. It's the Honda Accord that the rest of the world that doesn't super-size their french-fries gets.

My TSX was an '04, too. Consumer Reports gives the '04 pretty much all red dots (good) except for the audio system. They recommend the '04 as a used car.

Maybe yours was built on a Monday or during the Japanese equivalent of Oktoberfest? Or it fell off the truck?

BTW, the "wood" on the 3-series is just a millimeter or so of veneer glued to a composite and plastic base.

Where in my post do you see conclusions about your TSX or anybody else's TSX?

Not a big fan of genralizing out from one car to an entire fleet of cars. I do think that my example exposes the myth of the invulnerable Honda/Acura. Just because Hondas are very reliable as brand does not mean you personally won't wind up with a lemon. It is all about probabilities.

Also, If you look closely at the data, you can also see the beginnings of the HVAC follies. Its "average" this year for the 2004. I'm confident it will be far lower as the fleet ages. I know for a fact that Acura has a serious problem on there hands, because they admitted to me on the phone and then agreed to pay for my out-of-warranty repairs on my HVAC in full (a cool $3500).

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #30
ians
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i 6MT, 04 TSX 6MT

I also have a 04 TSX with ~100000km now and I also have wrapping rotors on around 25000km(put BBK afterward), heated seat switch light out & clicking clutch. It is not as reliable as my Prelude, Civic Si but the problem I have with my TSX is totally nothing when compare to my old E46 actually even my current 335i. At least my TSX won't leaking water when go through car wash, condensation on headlight & fog light, wrapping rotors more often then changing under wear, borken windows regulators every season, control arms being a wear & tear item that need to replace every year, a broken $5 spring inside your tranny that will cost you to replace the whole tranny or spend $3G in labour to replace that spring, a broken $5 sunroof clip that going to cost you $2G in labour to replace it, trunk like to open or not able to open at all by its own IA, all those O2 sensor, N2 sensor, fart sensor...etc are require to replace twice a year... then now how about the Vanos issue and subframe tearoff which make the HFPF issue looks nothing to worry!
      11-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #31
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
My honda was so damn great. I literally drove it like I stole it for 60k miles, and never had a single problem. But in other hand, my new z, hmm.
I can't even drive it more than 1000 miles without a problem.
I'm averaging at 925 miles before visiting dealer for the repair currently.
At least I never have to wash my car by myself. By the time my car gets dirty, it goes in for the repair and comes out fresh.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #32
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
This has happened with all of our Hondas (warping rotors) at one time or another. Is it a Honda thing?
I think this happens to all disc brakes (maybe except ceramic? not sure). They heat up and warp, and needs to be machined, but machining them makes them thinner, and heat up faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #33
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Yo op, is this for real? Because most of these problems are similar to my 05 Accord V6.

Quote:
Sensor malfunction in the VSA system. Lights on dash spontaneously come on. Dealer still has not tracked the problem.
A similar incident happened with me around 12 k miles. The car wouldnt accelerate above 40 even though it sounded as if it was working reall hard and a engine malfunction warning came on.
But I was lucky and got it fixed by the dealer under warranty.

I also partly blame myself because I use to go around 140mph everyday at least once in a day thinking, this engine was bullet proof......!

Quote:
Lights on radio/nav console went dead. Entire unit had to be replaced.

I had this problem at around 45 k miles. My radio/nav console lights were out but everything else was working ok. I have a black interior, so it really looked bad in the night.
It couldn't be fixed by a private garage so against my wishes, I had to take it to the dealer and surprisingly, they fixed it for a low $100. They said that there was a prob with the CD player too(It was slow but always loaded up) and surprisingly again, they fixed that too along with the lights.

Quote:
Speakers developed a buzzing sound. Doors had to be lined with foam by the dealer (again, part of a TSB).

My speaker are getting that buzz sound too.... Even though I use to keep my bass level low, I dunno whats happening.

And is that the creaking sound your talking about??? Because that is what happens when I open the door of the left hand back passenger side. I think I need to get that lubricated or something.

Quote:
Power lock switch died and had to be replaced.

I got it replaced twice under warranty.. I think the problem is occuring again.

Quote:
Brakes had multiple incidents of warping.
I baby the car now but the brakes still fade(the annoying sound) and I have got the brake pads changed twice and once the disk too....!

Quote:

Engine mount broke and had to be replaced.
My mounts have broken so many times that it's not even funny anymore(seriously). Gear mounting, Engine mountings....all have been replaced.

I wonder if they make these mount's out of chicken legs or something

Added problems....I got a 'gear timer' changed twice. The problem was and still is, it kind of mimics a manual car shakiness, which happens when you leave the clutch too early after changing a gear & without deploying alot of throttle. It only happens in the first gear
ALso,the shift to 4th gear is kind of hard and rough during light acceleration.

, I thought these problems were only with my car because it's a V6 (Honda doesn't know how to make a V6 efficiently and I have asked other V6 owners too about their own set of problems) but I'm surprised that these problems have occured with in car too. The similarity of these problems occuring with my and your car has really got me worried about the few of us who suffer Honda's "unknown" reliability. This was my first Honda and they havent left a reat impression on me. If I ever need a economic and reliable car, I will always recommend Toyota or even a Nissan.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy a trouble free time with your upcoming bimmer and hopefully someday, so will I.
      11-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #34
AcuraGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 E92

I'm not at all surprised that some people have these problems with the Acuras. My 02 RSX 5spd had to have the 2nd and 3rd gear sleeves replaced at 5K miles due to a 2nd gear grind/popping out, they had a TSB out for it already. As a whole, the Acura's quality has declined dramatically. I remember hearing the 2000+ TLs had dashboard fading issues and other cosmetic quality issues..not to mention the gobs of faux leather surfaces, they were real strict about the "leather seating surfaces".

Currently at 93K miles, my hvac mainly blows cold or hot air, no medium, and my drivers auto roll up stops halfway and rolls back down. But from our experiences with Hondas/Acuras since our 1983 Prelude, their A/C system never worked well/strong.

Either way, the reliability has been pretty good, I don't mind the small issues we've had in the past.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #35
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I know the guy that has my old TL-S. 135k and never one problem. Tranny replaced by recall at 45k and she's still running strong.

The TSX is a notorious offender apparently. You're not the first guy to have issues with that car. "They don't make em like they used to"
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0