BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Bl0ck
Gray on Gray
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Drone with xpipe and oem exhaust ?

Unfortunately I need to quiet down the M. I currently have a evolve xpipe( primary's gone/ hf secondary) with a miesterscaft gt muffler. It is truly and epic combination. However it drones like crazy. I've run this setup for over a year. Anyone have any experience with the xpipe and oem muffler combo? How loud does it get while cruising? Any drone ?
      03-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I run the evolve xpipe with the stock exhaust. Zero drone. It will sound mild compared to your current setup, but I get so many compliments on the exhaust note. I have the cold start delete so it is probably quieter than a completely stock setup upon the initial start up (which keeps the neighbors happy), but really opens up above 4K RPMs and never drops off. It is almost like having a valved exhaust.
Appreciate 1
Bl0ck101.00
      03-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
Bl0ck
Gray on Gray
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I run the evolve xpipe with the stock exhaust. Zero drone. It will sound mild compared to your current setup, but I get so many compliments on the exhaust note. I have the cold start delete so it is probably quieter than a completely stock setup upon the initial start up (which keeps the neighbors happy), but really opens up above 4K RPMs and never drops off. It is almost like having a valved exhaust.
Really appreciate the feedback. How's the rasp? I feel my setup gets a little raspy. But that's how these cars are when you delete the primary's. How is it with the oem muffler ?
      03-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Not bad at all. You get just a tad bit right as you cross the 4K mark, but only during WOT and it smooth out nicely. I find it adds character. There's a video on YouTube of this setup, but it sounds like crap... Real raspy. In person, it doesnt sound anything like the video. It's definately not a muscle car sound. It's higher pitched wail but not raspy.
Appreciate 1
Bl0ck101.00
      03-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Just another thought about how I would describe the tone (not volume)...

On a scale where a Ferrari 458 is a 1 and a Corvette is a 10, it is probable a 3.5 (minus the flat crank firing order of the Ferrari). The Akropovic EVO is a probably a 5 or 6.
Appreciate 0