BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

01-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #45
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
does anyone know if there will be any major difference between the current c450 and next c45? i'm mostly interested in "one man, one engine" and rwd info.

i know this is really messed up but this thread is kind of making me want one. i've debated getting a c63 recently but i can't justify the monthly on a car that just sits in the garage because i work from home. i just sold my porsche for that reason. this might be a good middle the road car for running the occasional errand and whatnot.
      01-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
does anyone know if there will be any major difference between the current c450 and next c45? i'm mostly interested in "one man, one engine" and rwd info.

i know this is really messed up but this thread is kind of making me want one. i've debated getting a c63 recently but i can't justify the monthly on a car that just sits in the garage because i work from home. i just sold my porsche for that reason. this might be a good middle the road car for running the occasional errand and whatnot.
I think the quickest summary is this:
C43 - bog stock C Class with awd and a production line motor. A C450 by another name.
C63 - wider bodywork, better brakes, LSD, rwd, actually seen Affalterbach and had someone named Klaus or Hans build its engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #47
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I think the quickest summary is this:
C43 - bog stock C Class with awd and a production line motor. A C450 by another name.
C63 - wider bodywork, better brakes, LSD, rwd, actually seen Affalterbach and had someone named Klaus or Hans build its engine.
i wish Hans built my engine.
      01-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #48
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Novitec Ferrari FF

I don't see the big deal. c43<c63 because 43 is less than 63 (obvious). To the very least a 43 is a lesser performer to the 63 (that will be easily understood). No different than s5 to rs5 or m235 to m2.

The only thing on the table is that a c63 amg is handbuilt and a c43 is not....big fucking whoop if people might not know this to be the case..people still believe m235i has an m engine as do people think the s5 is an rs equivalent motor. General population will never care to truly research this fact unless told anyways.

so I don't see much of a difference.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/boostedtrav_/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #49
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post

I don't ever get this work from home so I don't drive shit...lol! If I work 5-minutes from home I'd barely be in the car long enough as well. Plus driving to work in traffic if that was the case isn't fun either. Why the fuck are you not out driving about on your days off as much as you could to justify buying an enthusiast car?

Do you not leave your house at all?

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #50
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I am assuming that by "next C45" you meant "new C43"? If so it's literally just a name change - that's it. Definitely no RWD nor hand built engine.

The C450 cum C43 is a nice car, but there are some others in the class that look compelling including the new Q60 S with the 400hp 3.0T as well as the new B9 S4.

If the car sounds more enticing you to you now that its called the C43, then you are validating their new marketing strategy.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #51
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucki14 View Post
I don't ever get this work from home so I don't drive shit...lol! If I work 5-minutes from home I'd barely be in the car long enough as well. Plus driving to work in traffic if that was the case isn't fun either. Why the fuck are you not out driving about on your days off as much as you could to justify buying an enthusiast car?

Do you not leave your house at all?
i did that. great canyon runs and other cool drives but the past few months my weekends have been pretty full and my weekend drives seem to be less and less. i already have a car that the wife mostly drives but it's not really my thing (lexus) and that's why i'm eyeballing new cars again. i don't need it but the "enthusiast" in me makes me want another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I am assuming that by "next C45" you meant "new C43"? If so it's literally just a name change - that's it. Definitely no RWD nor hand built engine.

The C450 cum C43 is a nice car, but there are some others in the class that look compelling including the new Q60 S with the 400hp 3.0T as well as the new B9 S4.

If the car sounds more enticing you to you now that its called the C43, then you are validating their new marketing strategy.
actually, the opposite. i was hoping the name change would move it to hand built and rwd.
      01-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #52
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Wonder what kind of shit storm is going on over at the AMG forums.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #53
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
actually, the opposite. i was hoping the name change would move it to hand built and rwd.
That's what they are hoping others believe. You are fortunate to be an enthusiast and Bimmerpost member so you know the real story.

Maybe AMG will do a hand built version of the upcoming I6. Hopefully their hand built engines don't go away soon instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #54
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i did that. great canyon runs and other cool drives but the past few months my weekends have been pretty full and my weekend drives seem to be less and less. i already have a car that the wife mostly drives but it's not really my thing (lexus) and that's why i'm eyeballing new cars again. i don't need it but the "enthusiast" in me makes me want another.
I was only messing with you, lol! Partially jealous about the work from home part....but I hear it so many times that people use that as an escape goat for not being able to drive. I understand situation change and the want for needing a drivers car always remains strong!

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #55
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
My quote:

Emphasis mine.
You are correct. Thanks for the clarification. My bad.

It doesn't take away from clusterf**K numbering scheme or whatever BMW wants to call it. Not that big a deal really. We will all figure it out eventually and right before they change it again. I'm waiting for them to introduce the M440GC M-sport with a trunk in a GT model (on real tires with a dip stick and a 4-year free maintenance program ;;))

Last edited by sygazelle; 01-14-2016 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #56
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattedtwice View Post
Maybe I'm biased since I absolutely hate m-b, but I don't think they get enough flak for their retarded naming decisions. The auto world imploded when Infiniti changed up, but hardly a peep when m-b does the same thing, even though their changes are far more idiotic and confusing.

The suvs are all renamed and I doubt even the sales people can keep them straight. The little ugly roadster thing changed, the c lineup changed, the coupes changed, they are all over the place. Good thing I'd never ever ever never buy one, or I'd have to do some research to find out its name.....and even then, it would likely change not long after. But hey, all that's fine and dandy, since its m-b...
IMO the new names actually make a lot more sense than the old ones. Most people are pretty familiar with the hierarchy of C/E/S class (just like most people know 3/5/7 series go in that order), so that now instantly translates to the SUV lines instead of GLK, ML, GL.

A, CLA, GLA
B
C, GLC
E, GLE
S, CLS, GLS

But the new "fake" AMG thing is stupid.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #57
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Yes, very strange indeed.

They didn't coexist in the US - the C400 was replaced after one model year. Given that the C450/C43 essentially have the same engine as the C400, just with a bit more boost, you'd think they would have gotten this all sorted when the new body came out just last year...

ALL luxury car naming schemes are extremely difficult to follow.

BMW: Even-numbered models are coupes, except the Gran Coupes which are sedans... "X5 xdrive35i"... GT is a wagonoid thing... need I say more?

Infiniti: Recently changed to all Qs and QXs, and very little of it makes sense.

Acura: A mess of letters when the old names were so great and well-recognized.

Lincoln: I can't keep straight all the MK_ models, and now they have a Continental... step in the right direction, but it would be nice if they all went to actual names.

I can't keep these names straight and I'm obsessed with cars - imagine how confused a potential buyer must be! Only Audi and Lexus seem to still make a decent amount of sense.
I don't find BMW naming schemes hard to follow at all. And that isn't because I am more familiar with BMW, it's because they don't add a mess of crap behind it. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Xs are SUVs. Odd numbers are generally sedans, Even numbers are usually the coupe versions. It's only some stuff behind that that messes it up. GT are gran touring, the only odd ball is the M235i. You don't need to know what xDrive means in general with SUVs, would the general consumer care?

Benz on the other hand is downright confusing. C... E... CLS... GLE... GLA... G? What the hell? Benz is like Acura on that regard, a bunch of letters that means very little. Benz is worse, having to add numbers and OTHER stuff AFTER the letters. At least Acura stop at the letters. I have been confused by Infinit cars for awhile now, and I don't understand Lincoln much.

I been around BMW dealerships enough now to understand what they ask for. If they don't know their cars well, they ask, do you have a 3 series, or 5 series etc. If they do know what they want they say the name and number. I'm assuming that's the same with Benz but Benz just adds stuff after theirs. It's longer too. CLA 45 AMG... S? -.-

Edit: Then again, Benz doesn't have that mess of numbers comparing to BMW... C, E, S. I think for me what gets confusing with Benz is after the C, E, S part.

Last edited by Arcades; 01-14-2016 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:59 AM   #58
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I think this is going to suck for those with the 'real' AMGs...

Sure, BMW has the m235i and the x4m4.0 (whatever that one is weird)... but people who buy those cars know that they are the true M car... It's sad for those who go out and buy a C43 thinking its an actual AMG with a handbuilt engine and all, cause it's not. It's literally like a c400....
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #59
woobiee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/F82

Saving money by not producing thousands of extra "0" badges?
      01-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #60
tam099
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

If they start heavily discounting the current C450 AMG Sport I'll definitely consider one for a DD. That interior is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #61
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tam099 View Post
If they start heavily discounting the current C450 AMG Sport I'll definitely consider one for a DD. That interior is awesome.
i also really enjoy the interior. i have a hard time with the amg badge but at a major discount i might be able to get over it.