BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

01-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

who hired this guy

my profesor for CS is indian, he speaks english but i dont understand ANYTHING he is saying, maybe 1 out of 10 words, and im seriously not exagerating

im going to have to learn everthing independant of him but i cant even skip his class becuase he gives pop quizes, who the fuck gives pop quizes in college
      01-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Please keep the racist/insensitive posts away from this board. Thanks.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

its not racist, im sure hes a good guy, but who hires someone whos job is to talk but can barely be understood by most of the class?
      01-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
this seems to be a common problem these days. however, students can't really complain because they get automatically labeled as racist, even if that's not the case.

it is a very sensitive issue because to (not) understand someone is a subjective thing as there may be many that can understand that person just fine.

i was also a CS/Math major in college so i know exactly what you're talking about. the best thing is to just ask every time you don't understand something. this way, you don't have to confront anyone about the issue and you still get your information.

also, at universities, and especially in CS field, professors don't get hired for their teaching abilities, rather, for their research potential. so it is very common to have really, really bad and eccentric teachers who are in fact geniuses. university's stand on this is if you can't keep up with his teaching (while others can), you probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

pop quizzes are also fairly common. i had them, and know friends from other colleges who did too.

good luck man!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I theorise, but have no proof, that there is a certain IQ level, above which the eccentriccity increases at least directly with each point increase.

I remember one instructor in an Engineering class. We could all understand his accented English, but he said "yah" at the end of each sentence, almost like it was a question. It was a mind-numbing 1:45 lecture twice a week, and eventually we started to count "yahs" just to stay awake. At one point, someone snapped and at the end of one yah, a huge YAH! echoed back from the audience. We didn't hear too many more yahs in that class.
I'm not saying you should do something like that at all, but it's a big world and it happens. MAYBE you could ask to speak privately with the prof, or go to office hours, and discuss that you are having difficulty understanding his accent. Maybe just spending some time with him will give your ears the opportunity to catch his accent and begin to understand?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

well its not just me, i look around and everyone else has the same look on their face, theres a russian guy too w/ a heavy accent but i can understnad what hes saying, but this indian guy, its like hes not even trying to be understandable

and the idian guys thing is more than an accent, he mispronounces words completly, accents are inflections and minor prononciation variances of certin sounds, this guys is like full on 1 sylable out of 6 is correct
      01-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Juggs
Bavarian Motor Werks Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i sport

i was a computer engineering major in college, i completely understand. It comes with the degree man.... and i'm going to let you in on something; its a HELL of a lot worse in the real world. You think its bad understanding one guy? Try dealing with a team in india that is trying to meet your 9am central standard time deadline and they are a day and hours apart from you.

So whatever you're feeling, trust me - its preparing you for life
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild
its not racist, im sure hes a good guy, but who hires someone whos job is to talk but can barely be understood by most of the class?
Your post that started this thread is not, but some of the replies which were deleted were definitely racially insensitive remarks.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Welcome to college. Get used to not getting anything out of lectures. Learning everything yourself isn't always the worst thing. Keeps you responsible and builds character... but still sucks! Hang in there.
      01-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
BigO1120
3rd Degree
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego Blue 328xi

I had a Nigerian professor who taught programming and I could barely understand a single word he said...that was because he barely showed up to teach the F'n class! I had to learn VB all on my own and then he would expect us to come up with these extravegant projects!

Here's to you Mr. Ngatchu...:finger: :finger: :finger:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine
Welcome to college. Get used to not getting anything out of lectures. Learning everything yourself isn't always the worst thing. Keeps you responsible and builds character... but still sucks! Hang in there.
oh im used to that, i just dont go to those classes until theres a test, i did all last semester like that, but this guy throws pop quizes so i cant even skip his useless class w/o losing 15%:mad:
      01-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
Daneel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's very old

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO1120
I had a Nigerian professor who taught programming and I could barely understand a single word he said...that was because he barely showed up to teach the F'n class! I had to learn VB all on my own and then he would expect us to come up with these extravegant projects!

Here's to you Mr. Ngatchu...:finger: :finger: :finger:
You had to learn VB all on your own? Dude, VB is something that a 12 year old can pick up over a weekend (and that is not an exaggeration). I really don't feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #13
Daneel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild
my profesor for CS is indian, he speaks english but i dont understand ANYTHING he is saying, maybe 1 out of 10 words, and im seriously not exagerating

im going to have to learn everthing independant of him but i cant even skip his class becuase he gives pop quizes, who the fuck gives pop quizes in college
A lot of courses in college have pop quizzes. And more so in grad school. Get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
pharma
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Sparkling Graphite

www.ratemyprofessor.com

That's why they have websites like www.ratemyprofessor.com it's totally free from what I understand.
Go there and leave some feedback or read what other people have to say.
      01-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #15
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
if you are paying 40+ a year for college and have to miss class because u cant understand ur professor something is wrong with this world. I go to Ithaca College and since we dont have a grad school almost none of our classes are taught by TA's which is good because I have heard horror stories about them. And i mean to give credit to the original poster i think its complete garbage that someone who is smart who cant speak english can get a job just because of his "track record" aka resume.. I bet the resume was printed in english so speak it!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #16
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I had an interview once and one of the officiers that interview me was Indian, I couldn't understand a word that came out of his mouth....guess what, I didnt get the job..ahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska
I had an interview once and one of the officiers that interview me was Indian, I couldn't understand a word that came out of his mouth....guess what, I didnt get the job..ahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH thats classic man. Its all about quotas and what not. Maybe i have angry white male syndrome as one of my high school teachers tagged to my head but i feel that everyone needs to care about american students at american schools before foreigners come in. Look at it this way, the US places high taxes on imports like all of our BMW's but yet we let german students into our schools before americans get accepted? Backwards? YES... but u have to love the US, atleast i do!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #18
Daneel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markis64
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH thats classic man. Its all about quotas and what not. Maybe i have angry white male syndrome as one of my high school teachers tagged to my head but i feel that everyone needs to care about american students at american schools before foreigners come in. Look at it this way, the US places high taxes on imports like all of our BMW's but yet we let german students into our schools before americans get accepted? Backwards? YES... but u have to love the US, atleast i do!
Quotas? Why don't you get a fact check. It's as hard for Indian-Americans and Asian-Americans to get into college because of affirmative action, as it is for caucasian-Americans.

And as for international students: DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO COME TO THE US FOR COLLEGE OR GRAD SCHOOL?

Furthermore, do you realize that at least a third (if not half) the research being done in the top universities in the country at the PhD level is done by international students? And no this does not contradict my earlier statement. In a free market system, you take the person who is best suited for the job. If an international graduate student is smarter than a corresponding American graduate student, then a research lab has a moral obligation to accept the international graduate student.

And no, I am not saying that all international students are smarter than American students. I am merely saying that many of the international students who come to this country have had to work a LOT harder to come here for graduate school or college, than the corresponding American student. My take is that if you went to high school in the US, and were from a middle-class or higher background, you have no f***** excuse to not get into either an Ivy League school, or a top-notch state school such as Berkeley/UVA/etc. If not, then you could have worked harder. And if you did not work harder in high school, that that is your mistake. Deal with it. Because someone else in the world *will* work harder. The sense of entitlement that many people have here is astounding.

Yes, lack of English-speaking skills is annoying, and I think spoken language training can make up for that. Most of these people can write English very well. Their accent is merely different and you are not used to it. If you are from, say, Boston, and had NEVER heard someone from Texas speak, that accent would be just as difficult to understand. That does not justify pissing on Texans for having "poor English-speaking skills".

Yes, I think that people whose spoken English is bad should take language training. But I do not think that that justifies your kind of attitude.

I would imagine that the level of ignorance on this board wold be low, but I guess I was wrong. Go do your research.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #19
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel
Quotas? Why don't you get a fact check. It's as hard for Indian-Americans and Asian-Americans to get into college because of affirmative action, as it is for caucasian-Americans.

And as for international students: DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO COME TO THE US FOR COLLEGE OR GRAD SCHOOL?

Furthermore, do you realize that at least a third (if not half) the research being done in the top universities in the country at the PhD level is done by international students? And no this does not contradict my earlier statement. In a free market system, you take the person who is best suited for the job. If an international graduate student is smarter than a corresponding American graduate student, then a research lab has a moral obligation to accept the international graduate student.

And no, I am not saying that all international students are smarter than American students. I am merely saying that many of the international students who come to this country have had to work a LOT harder to come here for graduate school or college, than the corresponding American student. My take is that if you went to high school in the US, and were from a middle-class or higher background, you have no f***** excuse to not get into either an Ivy League school, or a top-notch state school such as Berkeley/UVA/etc. If not, then you could have worked harder. And if you did not work harder in high school, that that is your mistake. Deal with it. Because someone else in the world *will* work harder. The sense of entitlement that many people have here is astounding.

Yes, lack of English-speaking skills is annoying, and I think spoken language training can make up for that. Most of these people can write English very well. Their accent is merely different and you are not used to it. If you are from, say, Boston, and had NEVER heard someone from Texas speak, that accent would be just as difficult to understand. That does not justify pissing on Texans for having "poor English-speaking skills".

Yes, I think that people whose spoken English is bad should take language training. But I do not think that that justifies your kind of attitude.

I would imagine that the level of ignorance on this board wold be low, but I guess I was wrong. Go do your research.

Im not about to start world war 3 or anything like that, this is a car forum... YES u make good points but at the end of the day I am positive that if in deed lets just say for example an african american and a white student were in front of a college admissions staff to say, Harvard. They both have the same grades, SAT's, great teacher evaluations but the white kid was on the varisty football team and he was ranked all american at his high school. Are u telling me that he wont get looked over because Harvard needs to establish its reputation as an equal education provider (taking affirmative action applicants over non affirmative action students)? Yes this kind of situation happens all the time, all i was trying to say is that if education is supposed to be the best man or woman for the position then let it be EQUAL. Make no affirmative action, make no quotas, make NO EXCEPTIONS just because daddy knows the CEO of SONY doesnt give him an advantage. And you know what how dare u say that kids dont try hard enough to get into college. These are AMERICAN schools, AMERICAN students deserve to get the upper hand before other countries. Thats my opinion hate it if u want but its just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:34 AM   #20
Daneel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markis64
Im not about to start world war 3 or anything like that, this is a car forum... YES u make good points but at the end of the day I am positive that if in deed lets just say for example an african american and a white student were in front of a college admissions staff to say, Harvard. They both have the same grades, SAT's, great teacher evaluations but the white kid was on the varisty football team and he was ranked all american at his high school. Are u telling me that he wont get looked over because Harvard needs to establish its reputation as an equal education provider (taking affirmative action applicants over non affirmative action students)? Yes this kind of situation happens all the time, all i was trying to say is that if education is supposed to be the best man or woman for the position then let it be EQUAL. Make no affirmative action, make no quotas, make NO EXCEPTIONS just because daddy knows the CEO of SONY doesnt give him an advantage. And you know what how dare u say that kids dont try hard enough to get into college. These are AMERICAN schools, AMERICAN students deserve to get the upper hand before other countries. Thats my opinion hate it if u want but its just my opinion.
I don't particularly believe in affirmative action, but arguments can be made both ways.

Yes this is a car forum...and we are in the off-topic section. What is your point?

American students *do* get the upper hand. How dare I say that students don't try hard enough? It's pretty obvious. Look around at high schools here, versus how hard kids work in high schools in say, Eastern Europe, China, India, etc.

And I'm not the one doing the hating.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #21
krazykanuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 IS300

Garage List
2004 IS300  [0.00]
2004 IS300  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel

And no, I am not saying that all international students are smarter than American students. I am merely saying that many of the international students who come to this country have had to work a LOT harder to come here for graduate school or college, than the corresponding American student.
You're right, its very difficult. As my username suggests, I'm originally from Canada but moved to Florida in high school and now go to a private university in Texas. The main reason I moved there in the first place was for school so I could attend university here and live in the US afterward. Would I have been able to get into the schools I did had I graduated in Canada...maybe, but probably not.

But going along with what somebody else said, I think American schools taught in english should only hire people that have enough proficiency to be able to teach their students and have the students understand and learn from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:42 AM   #22
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
school

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You're right, its very difficult. As my username suggests, I'm originally from Canada but moved to Florida in high school and now go to a private university in Texas. The main reason I moved there in the first place was for school so I could attend university here and live in the US afterward. Would I have been able to get into the schools I did had I graduated in Canada...maybe, but probably not.

But going along with what somebody else said, I think American schools taught in english should only hire people that have enough proficiency to be able to teach their students and have the students understand and learn from them.

Thats what i had originally said, glad to hear you like your school in Texas
Appreciate 0