BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

10-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
BMWftw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 LMB

Vancouver BMW Dealer Negotiations

Hello Everyone,

I am quite new at negotiating and buying cars from dealers. My previous purchase was a 330CI from a dealer, and got completely ripped off. I'm trying to avoid it this time. I'm looking to get an E92 Coupe

I've heard people talk about offering 500 above invoice and all, but it hasn't worked for me at all. I called in to Brian Jessel dealership and the dealer told me he has never heard of that in his life. Made me feel like a fool almost with his tone of voice. Any experienced negotiators for buying M3s? or Could recommend a good dealer/sales person?

I am contemplating between a 2011 demo E92 (price advantage but not my desired interior color), a 2011 model or a custum order 2012 with special paint work (Dakar Yellow) or Intellago Blue either those or the classic Alpine on Fox red. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

call & email to all the dealers in your area and see who can offer you the best price is the best 1st step you can take. I have heard $8000k off the MSRP is not unheard of (at least in Toronto). Here is one example offered by a Montreal dealer .... althought different region, at least you can use this as reference. Btw, these numbers can be worked lower ...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595366

The markup of the #92 coupe is about 10%. Therefore, you can take the MSRP and divide by 1.1 and you will get the dealer cost. Find out the current factory incentives, such as delivery allowance and option credit being offered.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Shop around; put one dealer's quote up against another. Once you have what you believe is your lowest offer (in writing), I can introduce you to my CA at BJ (assuming your lowest is from elsewhere), who will beat your lowest quote. There aren't many 2011 in stock in the city, so custom order is your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Try Mike Regan @ Park Shore also, quoted me a decent priced for an e92. Didn't end up buying with him, but it's worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
BMWftw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckles View Post
Try Mike Regan @ Park Shore also, quoted me a decent priced for an e92. Didn't end up buying with him, but it's worth a try.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone,

So basically, just go to him with the options i have in mind and he will give me a quote? is that how this usually works?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

If you are open to get your car from calgary as well, call Ian at : (403) 606-8276
I got a really good deal from him. Tell him you are one of Mo's friend with the alpine white M3.

GL!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Also the member "e85sbm" is a sales guy at BMW gallery in calgary, i did not buy my car from him since i got to know him after my car purchase , but i spoke with him and he seems to be a honest sales guy, i would contact him too.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWftw View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone,

So basically, just go to him with the options i have in mind and he will give me a quote? is that how this usually works?
Yep pretty much, just let him know that you are interested in buying and that you are local. I'd phone first before you go meet in person. Once he sends you a quote, you can check with other dealerships and compare.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

I've also dealt with Mike Regan at Park Shore. He gave me a very competitive quote by email.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
kahunacanuck
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35ix / 2013 335ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
Shop around; put one dealer's quote up against another. Once you have what you believe is your lowest offer (in writing), I can introduce you to my CA at BJ (assuming your lowest is from elsewhere), who will beat your lowest quote. There aren't many 2011 in stock in the city, so custom order is your best bet.
I'm sorry, but this just strikes me as the wrong way to do things. You go and do all the work, then offer this guy at BJ, the same dealership who treated the OP like an idiot on the phone, the last chance to better the deal? Why not refer the OP to your guy up front and let him give him his best deal?

I think we all get mad at dealerships yet it is no wonder they treat people poorly based on how they are treated! Why not just work with one dealership, tell them you know it's 10% markup + current incentives from BMWNA, and tell them if they treat you fairly, you will treat them fairly. They are in business like anyone to make money...1 or 2% on a factory order is pretty fair I would guess...

Sold 2011.5 M3 E92 Mineral White/Rust Brown
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunacanuck View Post
I'm sorry, but this just strikes me as the wrong way to do things. You go and do all the work, then offer this guy at BJ, the same dealership who treated the OP like an idiot on the phone, the last chance to better the deal? Why not refer the OP to your guy up front and let him give him his best deal?

I think we all get mad at dealerships yet it is no wonder they treat people poorly based on how they are treated! Why not just work with one dealership, tell them you know it's 10% markup + current incentives from BMWNA, and tell them if they treat you fairly, you will treat them fairly. They are in business like anyone to make money...1 or 2% on a factory order is pretty fair I would guess...
I can't help that my relationship is with BJ, who happens to have given the OP an unfavourable start in the first place.

You can try and work with just one dealer to gain a big discount and a great deal. That technique hasn't worked in my favour previously, and can waste hours and hours of my time. If that works for you, great. Most car dealers aren't really up front and willing to "play fair". Unfortunately, young asian guys looking at M3s are usually associated with suitcases of full of cash.

I assume you're referring to a 1-2% markup? That's still too much for me. I happen to be a young hard-working asian guy, and If I'm going to be spending 80-100k, there's no reason for me not to save as much $$$ as I can, and get the car as close to invoice pricing as possible. Even at invoice, they make money. And yes, I still get great service from my CA.

See you around town!
Appreciate 0