BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
nevin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AA

Trade SC M for a GT-R

A few months ago I was looking to trade. I decided against it because our cars are way to good looking and insanely beautiful next to the gtr. I park next to a gtr at the gym when we are there at the same time and he doesn't seem to agree. I didn't want to give up the M so I supercharged it...

Still isn't enough for me, well actually it's to much. Crazy power, breaks loose going 50 or so. I haven't ran it hard at all cause i'm no pro and may want/need something more stable. I just read an article that said the 2012 gtr did a 90 degree turn at 130mph and does 0-60 in like 2.9. That's impressive, like $300k super car impressive. A friend of mine who lives down the road from me (different guy then gym guy) said he did this s-turn by our hoods doing 90. I didn't believe it until I read this article.

Should I:
- keep the M because I won't be satisfied with the GTR once I have it.

-Trade

-wait for the 2012, sell the M and spend a little more for it.

I guess I could trade back, there's always an M owner looking for a GTR trade. I have been stuck on this for 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevin View Post
A few months ago I was looking to trade. I decided against it because our cars are way to good looking and insanely beautiful next to the gtr. I park next to a gtr at the gym when we are there at the same time and he doesn't seem to agree. I didn't want to give up the M so I supercharged it...

Still isn't enough for me, well actually it's to much. Crazy power, breaks loose going 50 or so. I haven't ran it hard at all cause i'm no pro and may want/need something more stable. I just read an article that said the 2012 gtr did a 90 degree turn at 130mph and does 0-60 in like 2.9. That's impressive, like $300k super car impressive. A friend of mine who lives down the road from me (different guy then gym guy) said he did this s-turn by our hoods doing 90. I didn't believe it until I read this article.

Should I:

-Trade

I guess I could trade back, there's always an M owner looking for a GTR trade. I have been stuck on this for 3 months.
I always ponder this decision too, I think when the prices come down a bit more on the gtr I'd pull the trigger! GTR is just a whole different world performance wise. However the M3 in stock form is amazing for being a dd booting around the city. GTR may not be depending on your level of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

I'm sure the GTR is amazing but it's a lot less practical too. Not being able to get a couple golf bags in the GTR killed it for me as a DD. All that performance doesn't mean squat if you don't know how to drive it either.
      03-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
dajimba
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 m6

I was recently contemplating the same thing, and eventually ended up pulling the trigger on a 2010 Gray GTR. I have to say, I have had some nice cars in the past (996 911 turbo heavily modded, e46 m3 SC, e36 m3, m6 and m5) and the GTR's performance is outstanding. It is so easy to appreciate the performance because it is so easy to drive, however in my opinion the finish could not compare to the other cars near its price point. I eventually ended up selling the GTR and purchasing a x5m... for me it was a decision of being more practical while still enjoying the performance and living in a cold climate where versatility was important. However, if I lived in an area where i could drive a sports car everyday and not feel guilty about it... I still do not think I would go with the GTR. Granted, the performance, as stated is outstanding... but the finishing touches lack. The paint, the interior finish, etc. It just seems all a bit too plasticy for me, not to mention it is not available in a manual. Driving it everyday somehow turned out to be a bit boring, and I really didnt appreciate the interior. It just got old fast. I find, for the same money you could pick up a 07 or 08 911 turbo, or invest a bit more money into the m3 and get the same performance. Anyways, thats just my opinion, and my experiences. Maybe those minor details wouldnt bother you as they did me.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
I'm in the same boat as you. My friend with a 2011 GTR took me for a ride today, he has a 2012 GTR Black edition coming soon and wanted to get rid of his. I probably won't be picking his up but I'm thinking about picking up a 2012 in August when my M3 lease is up... the GTR is definitely a beast!
      03-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

GTR is not daily driver friendly and that imfamous broke ass transmission syndrome lol.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Fast yes, but in no way as appealing visually as the M3, in my opinion. But I'm German and I like German things.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
nevin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AA

Well I'm not concerned about DD friendly and I never have any bags or anything like that in my car. Also, I don't drive in traffic much and I work 2 miles from home. So now my only concerns are the looks and that "plastic" feel. What is a good GT-R site I can put a trade thread up on? Or should i wait for the 2012, sell the M and drop a significant more down on a car?

Edit-I'm also over driving a manual for now. I have been driving it for 12 years and wouldn't mind a different experience
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Quote:
Well I'm not concerned about DD friendly and I never have any bags or anything like that in my car. Also, I don't drive in traffic much and I work 2 miles from home. So now my only concerns are the looks and that "plastic" feel. What is a good GT-R site I can put a trade thread up on? Or should i wait for the 2012, sell the M and drop a significant more down on a car?

Edit-I'm also over driving a manual for now. I have been driving it for 12 years and wouldn't mind a different experience
To tell you, the GT-R has some strikingly good visuals and a great exhaust note. The interior, say compared to an X5M that I currently own, is below par. It's kind of hard and the button layout is all in plastic. Those were definite turn offs for me as I am as much about the interior being good as the performance. In this car they managed astounding performance but at their Nissan Altima comfort, maybe even worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Quote:
Still isn't enough for me, well actually it's to much. Crazy power, breaks loose going 50 or so. I haven't ran it hard at all cause i'm no pro and may want/need something more stable.
Not sure I understand what you want.
Still not enough, but it's too much? Ambivalent to say the least.
How much HP does your M3 currently have?
HPF type of power?
I say keep the M3 and master your current car...
      03-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

gtr ftw. I'll probably pick up one up when I'm tired of my m.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

Quote:
...I supercharged it...Still isn't enough for me, well actually it's to much...I haven't ran it hard at all cause i'm no pro and may want/need something more stable...2012 gtr did a 90 degree turn at 130mph...A friend of mine...said he did this s-turn by our hoods doing 90.
Sounds to me like you are more concerned with Fast & Furious driving scenes than anything else. Maybe some classroom/track time would serve you better.
      03-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:

Should I:

-Trade

It depends on what you want. Like everyone has said, the M is going to be a much better DD. That said, the GTR is a fine DD if you can deal with a little more rigidity and road noise. As far a performance, its not even close.
BTW, I don't understand the "not being able to fit two golf bags in a GTR" comment. The trunk is plenty big enough to accomodate two.

Buy the GT-R. You won't regret it(unless you need to haul people around).

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Buy the GT-R. You won't regret it(unless you need to haul people around).
Truth. Definitely get the 2012 though
      03-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Well you're considering the GTR so might as well do it. In the end, it might not satisfy you, but only one way to find out. If you get an older model GTR, you probably won't lose that much money if you decide to get rid of it quickly.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

The GT-R is a crazy machine. Do it. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Get a GT-R, but not R35 .... The ugliest in GT-R history IMHO...
      03-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

I traded my 2010 E90 M3 DCT for a 2011 GT-R and never once felt like I made the wrong decision. Where I did go wrong was trading the GT-R for a '09 997.2 C2S, but I'm about to make everything right when my 2012 GT-R arrives. It is scheduled to be here this week.

As others have stated, the performance of the GT-R in on another level from the M3. There are very few cars you can buy regardless of price that will deliver better performance below 120 mph. The traction afforded by the AWD system is just unreal compared to a rear driver. It is an easy car to push because it is so composed and sure-footed. Add in the 2012 updates and you are looking at one heck of a performance bargain.

The styling thing is very subjective, but in the flesh the GT-R looks pretty exotic. I personally like the look especially in white. I also like the interior styling, but I didn't like all the black plastic on the center stack in my first GT-R. The radio and climate control knobs felt especially cheap. Luckily, the 2012 fixes this with real carbon fiber on the center stack and upgraded knobs.

The GT-R isn't perfect. The seats are narrow and can be a bit tight if you are not fairly skinny. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and I feel like if I gained 10 more pounds I would be uncomfortable. Also, the car is fairly loud on the inside due to wind and tire noise. My 2011 wasn't as bad as earlier GT-Rs due to more sound insulation, but it still wasn't nearly as quiet as the M3. The transmission makes some crazy noises and feels a bit more raw than the M-DCT as well. Finally, the GT-R is a big car and took some getting used to coming from the M3. It will take some time to figure just were the corners of the car are when you are in tight situations. Luckily, the 2012 has the option for a backup camera which is very helpful because the GT-R has a big ass.

If you think the GT-R might be right for you I would suggest you go after a nice used example. These cars hold their value very well so you could give one a try and get most of your money back if you decide the car doesn't fit your wants and/or needs. If you do love it then you could upgrade to the 2012 or start modding the one you have.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
I've been tossing the idea of selling the M3 for a few months..

I would love a gtr but I can't do automatic.. I can only drive a 6mt or else I get sick of the car way too fast.

I would love a 997TT in 6mt but would have to do a motor build to get the power I actually want.

The GTR can get you the power you want on a stock motor and won't cost much.. Pcar is going to cost you a arm and leg to get the power but its 6mt..

Guess I have to wait to find another car I like thats AWD and fast from the factory..

If you don't mind DCT vs DCT.. I would probably be driving the GTR over a supercharged m3 (stock motor vs stock motor)

Good luck, let us know what you do!
      03-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #20
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

You seem to have the same disease as me....the its never good enough disease lol

good luck buddy, however I would go to Porsche not a skyline.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

before I bought my M3, I was trying to decide if I should wait for the GTR.

However, the mark-ups were insane for the GTR at the time.

to this day I have seen just one GTR so it is a rare bird which would be cool to own one of 900 sold last year but the sales is nothing to brag about if people don't really want to buy a ton of them. I am not sure of the M3 sales numbers but I assume they are much better.

Main thing for me, I have just a stock M3 and it's really fast enough. I just drive on the street. I am not racing for pinks (or racing anything at all) and around here cops are all over the place and radar/laser etc..

IMO, I am not really sure if I would be able to use anywhere near all the GTRs 500+ hp. Sure it may go 0-100mph a couple of seconds faster than a M3 but I rarely need to go that fast anyway.

Also, this may just be me, but when the GTR came out I thought the interior looked very trick. But seeing it now, it seems to be very over the top maybe even dated whereas the M3 is more classic (or timeless) that seems to age better.

I am not saying anything bad about the GTR but it really has not sold well, probably the Nissan dealers being d-ks when they were first introduced, and I read they are all kinds of expensive for maintance. But as a performance car it's probably one of the best bang for the buck, probably would have been better served as an Infiniti with higher level cars rather than being bunched in with all the Versa's and Sentras and Quests (etc..) not sure what Nissan was thinking, Honda/Acura had the correct idea for the NSX by far, people want a Porsche substitute want to feel more special (IMO).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #22
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

The GT-R is like a shot of tequila where as the M3 is like sipping fine wine. Which will you choose?
Appreciate 0