BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #67
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Seems like the most popular question is if we use some special rod bearings or run OEM.

The answer is that we run OE bearings. For each journal BMW offers multiple bearing sizes. Each bearing consists of two halves. We mix and match bearing halves so as to achieve the required clearance, as per Dinan specification, which is different from BMW’s specs.

We have over 100 S65/S85 Dinan Stroker engines out on the road and have yet to experience any problems like you see on the factory bearings.

I would encourage anyone that is interested in these club racing engines to reach out and contact the engineering / racing departments with any specific questions as they are much more enlightened on these matters and can give you a thorough technical breakdown. They can be reached by calling our main number or you can PM me and I will pass along the info and someone will get back to you.
Thanks for that information. Would Dinan be willing to provide this same service--mixing and matching the bearings to achieve ideal clearances--on a stock engine? If so, that would be a great service for those of us who are happy with the stock S65 performance, but want some piece of mind for their long-term engine health.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #68
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
wait. are you talking about main bearings or rod bearings? i know main bearins come in different sizes that are color coded, but rod bearings are only available in one size fits all.
They run stock, unmodified; main, rod, and crank bearings.
However they mix and match the different part number rod bearings to get clearance according to their spec... not BMW's spec.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #69
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Racing is racing and track days are track days. People need to stop talking like they're the same thing. They ain't.
The Truth
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #70
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Thanks for that information. Would Dinan be willing to provide this same service--mixing and matching the bearings to achieve ideal clearances--on a stock engine? If so, that would be a great service for those of us who are happy with the stock S65 performance, but want some piece of mind for their long-term engine health.
Dinan is building these motors on a bench. Everyone else here is buying new bearings and installing them.

How are people measuring the clearance once they swap in the new bearings. I don't believe they are IMO. I guess you ccould install the bearings with some plastigauge and then torque the rod caps and remove to check the clearance but I highly doubt that the shops are doing this.

You know, all these threads about bad clearances from rod bearing tolerances and yet we haven't seen any measurements from the replacements. Makes you wonder. I would imagine the same (replacement) bearings are getting destroyed as well, but we have yet to see any replacement bearings getting replaced. Time will tell, but this isn't a real solution unless you measure everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #71
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90
Quote:
Dinan is building these motors on a bench. Everyone else here is buying new bearings and installing them.

How are people measuring the clearance once they swap in the new bearings. I don't believe they are IMO. I guess you ccould install the bearings with some plastigauge and then torque the rod caps and remove to check the clearance but I highly doubt that the shops are doing this.

You know, all these threads about bad clearances from rod bearing tolerances and yet we haven't seen any measurements from the replacements. Makes you wonder. I would imagine the same (replacement) bearings are getting destroyed as well, but we have yet to see any replacement bearings getting replaced. Time will tell, but this isn't a real solution unless you measure everything.
For preventive bearing replacement, I would imagine that most are just dropping in new OE spec bearings. Should it be plasti guaged?
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #72
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Quote:

This!!! True..... Very very true. I have been lurking on this thread since it started . I see both points of view ... people claiming a genuine issue n people claiming internet hysteria ..... I do think there maybe an issue , but no definitive solution has come forth

What I am interested in is a follow up on those who installed WPC treated bearings n how they look at the same mileage tht the original bearings looked like when they were changed . One problem with this thou is - if lets say the bearing change interval is 40K to 60K , by the time The WPC bearings are due for replacement , how many people would actually still own the car ... Most I think would have passed on to a subsequent owner .... So the sample size will be even smaller
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #73
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Quote:
Quote:

For preventive bearing replacement, I would imagine that most are just dropping in new OE spec bearings. Should it be plasti guaged?
I'm curious if the wpc treated bearings are just any random set of rod bearings treated or is it a combination of bearings that give the biggest possible clearance.

If it's any random set, then they can be potentially problematic.

This is a problem if some bearings have proper clearance already from the factory and then they are swap to unmeasured bearings that have tighter clearances.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #74
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
They are probably just normal clearance OEM bearings.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #75
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
I still am not seeing the added value here. I don't think a dedicated track car needs more low-mid range torque of a stroker. I also don't think the cooling system needs a dry sump to be a dedicated track car. So I feel this is a product targeted toward a track audience but the product doesn't make sense for a track dedicated car
The dry sump oil system is the first thing I would address on these motors. I have personally seen multiple motor failures at COTA. Which I believe in some part are due to oil starvation from high sustained cornering G's. A dry sump systems also allows the motor to be mounted lower in the chassis for lower center of gravity.

These motors are not for the random Joe Schmo on bimmerpost. The gentlemen drivers using these engines show up at the track with fully built from ground up racecar, with big budget haulers. They don't think twice about spending the money buying a race prepared motor by Dinan, who has won many races and championships.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #76
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Racing is racing and track days are track days. People need to stop talking like they're the same thing. They ain't.
Such a simple statement, but so true.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #77
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

Coming from a guy who just replaced his entire motor; 40K isn't bad at all, especially if you take into account what you get out of a fully reengineered engine. Brand new long block straight from BMW is almost 19K and it produces 414 HP.... now start calculating your cost per hosepower gained from there. Think about this, Akrapovic is charging almost 7K just for 10hp... Nuf said.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK DINAN!
      10-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #78
Pu-94
Rep
Drives: 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
Coming from a guy who just replaced his entire motor; 40K isn't bad at all, especially if you take into account what you get out of a fully reengineered engine. Brand new long block straight from BMW is almost 19K and it produces 414 HP.... now start calculating your cost per hosepower gained from there. Think about this, Akrapovic is charging almost 7K just for 10hp... Nuf said.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK DINAN!
Word! That engine is dope!
997.2 turbo (smells like weed, red bull and stripper pussy).... 991 C2S > for sale: Fabspeed Sport Headers with 200 Cell High Flow Cats | Sharkwerks Free Flow Exhaust | FVD Brombacher Muffler Bypass X-Pipe | KW H.A.S. | HRE's Satin Bronze | RSS Spacers (7mm)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #79
m45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Dinan... thank you for making insane products like this. LOVE IT!
Appreciate 0