BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Rattles and squeaks....

Hello.
I noticed this whenever I was in my friend's 3 but today after driving the loaner 3 days...it bothered me about the car enough to look for a fix...

I really can't describe what it is or where it is coming from... it feels like whenever car's chassis is stressed, twisted... going over bumps... or going on an incline on an angle... well... it's a lot noisier overall.

Is this just me or are M3's just noisier (more squaks and rattles) than regular 3 series? Is there a fix for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post
Hello.
I noticed this whenever I was in my friend's 3 but today after driving the loaner 3 days...it bothered me about the car enough to look for a fix...

I really can't describe what it is or where it is coming from... it feels like whenever car's chassis is stressed, twisted... going over bumps... or going on an incline on an angle... well... it's a lot noisier overall.

Is this just me or are M3's just noisier (more squaks and rattles) than regular 3 series? Is there a fix for it?
I find the M3 to be the same or better than a regular 3 series (well at least my two M3s vs my 328i). Every car brand will have cars that will rattle/squeak a bit. Most Acura's are great but I was recently in a TL that squeaked like crazy. Luck of the draw a little bit I guess. It is also amazing how one issue can cause it to "sound" like a lot is going on... check the seals on the doors and lubricate and check the rear plastic deck area. If neither, take it in. Both of my M3s (E92s) were rattle free other than door seals which were remedied with Gummipledge.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I find the M3 to be the same or better than a regular 3 series (well at least my two M3s vs my 328i). Every car brand will have cars that will rattle/squeak a bit. Most Acura's are great but I was recently in a TL that squeaked like crazy. Luck of the draw a little bit I guess. It is also amazing how one issue can cause it to "sound" like a lot is going on... check the seals on the doors and lubricate and check the rear plastic deck area. If neither, take it in. Both of my M3s (E92s) were rattle free other than door seals which were remedied with Gummipledge.
thanks for the advice. It sounds like lot of the noise is coming from the rear...
How do I check the rear plastic area and how would I fix it? What am I looking for?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

I will be taking my rear shelf apart to replace the rear vent with a new one I ordered. I also bought $50 worth of felt tape to distribute EVERYWHERE! I will take pictures and document the process. Look for this after Bimmerfest next week.
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunae92 View Post
I will be taking my rear shelf apart to replace the rear vent with a new one I ordered. I also bought $50 worth of felt tape to distribute EVERYWHERE! I will take pictures and document the process. Look for this after Bimmerfest next week.
cool.
Will look forward to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Where did you get the Gummi-flege?
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

I had the exact same problem. I had to take it back to the dealer twice to get it fixed. It turned out to be the door seals. The noise went away after they applied some special lubricant (supposedly they had to use a different kind of lubricant the second time, since it didn't fix the noise problem the first time). Hope this helps. Or if you're a DIY kind of person, you can also try something like http://www.540i6.com/doorseals.html
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunae92 View Post
Where did you get the Gummi-flege?
Got it here... Gummipflege at Eshine
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 05-12-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0