BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

10-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Mtria
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Castrol TWS 10W60 v Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN

Hi,

Sorry if this has been done to death, just after some advise or if anyone has any experience with this type of oil. I changed the oil in my E92 M3 this weekend and was told that Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN by some dealerships is being used by BMW dealerships for the E92 M3, I made some further inquiries and it seems the Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W60 is still being used and to continue using TWS, anyone use "Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN" in their cars and did you have any issues?

Thanks aussiem3, for your feedback.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Mtria
Rep

Let's start again...

Hi,

Sorry if this has been done to death, just after some advise or if anyone has any experience with this type of oil. I changed the oil in my E92 M3 this weekend and was told that Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN is being used by BMW dealerships for the E92 M3, I made some further enquiries and it seems the Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W60 is still being used by other dealerships and I should continue using TWS to be safe, anyone use "Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN" in their car and did you have any issues?

Cheers,

Last edited by Mtria; 10-27-2013 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtria View Post
Hi,

Sorry if this has been done to death, just after some advise or if anyone has any experience with this type of oil. I changed the oil in my E92 M3 this weekend and was told that Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN by some dealerships is being used by BMW dealerships for the E92 M3, I made some further inquiries and it seems the Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W60 is still being used and to continue using TWS, anyone use "Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN" in their cars and did you have any issues?

Cheers.
When I bought from the dealer once I did indeed get Castrfol Edge Professional 10w-60 SN, which go me thinking why should I pay the stealer that kind of money when I can buy at the Auto 1 or Repco.

If it's good for the BMW dealer then there is nothing wrong in us putting in. I am sure the dealer putting 10w-60 SN would have voided the warranty.

I think it will be alright to use SN if you're changing regularly but if you go by CBS, I would think twice.
      10-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I think BMW recently changed the name to Castrol Edge Professional TWS.

They also recently approved 5w-30 http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

They say not to use it, then use it??
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
Mtria
Rep

Correct, hense my confusion, I also called castrol Australia and they said the edge professional is not an approved oil for BMW M models, however it's still a very good oil and very similar to the TWS but different. He said if your car is out of warranty then maybe go with edge professional otherwise buy TWS for piece of mind, for those interested, castrol mentioned the part number for Motorsport TWS 10W60 is 3375026, they said to speak to suprecheap, bursons, A1 etc who could maybe special order it for in 20ltr containers, if anyone is interested in splitting the cost let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I think the difference between the 'regular' and the 'TWS' is it has the BMW 'approval'. No one knows whether there is a difference in formula though. A few of us recently purchased 20L drums of TWS, it is much cheaper by the drum. Castrol are also reluctant to sell it outside of dealerships, so expect a bit of pushback. I'm not sure I will even use it yet as there is so much confusion over oils and bearing issues lately. It seems BMW are now recommending a lower viscosity to avoid admitting to bearing problems. Now that BMW-NA have approved 5w-30 and possibly also LL-01, a lot of people in US are making the switch to other oils. I can't keep up...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Which stealership is using non TWS?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Mtria
Rep

Dealership in Melbourne, I'd rather not say the name, it's the reason why we purchased the Edge Professional SN, anyway so who has used approved 5w-30 and possibly also LL-01 in Aus in their E92 M3? I'm very close to dumping the new oil in my car and putting in the approved TWS 10W-60, anyone have 9 or so ltr for sale?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Dealership in Melbourne, I'd rather not say the name, it's the reason why we purchased the Edge Professional SN, anyway so who has used approved 5w-30 and possibly also LL-01 in Aus in their E92 M3? I'm very close to dumping the new oil in my car and putting in the approved TWS 10W-60, anyone have 9 or so ltr for sale?
I can get it from castrol but need to spend over $500 so if we got 20ltrs each it would be it's only 2 oil changes
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3
Which stealership is using non TWS?
One I know of is Brisbane BMW. Last time I had my oil changed there (18 months ago), they used Shell 10W60.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Perth dealerships have sold SN too. The only reason I know is because I bought the oil over the counter. For someone going in for oil service will not know that it's SN and not TWS in their car. Even if it's mentioned in the invoice they might not bat an eye lid. It's people like us who look for these details and query. I think there was a shortage of TWS ... I think when the packaging changes were happening at Catsrol.

I've spoken with BMW Australia, and they have said use anything but TWS and you are on your own. Why take a chance? But if you buy it from the dealership ... then it's a different story. Spare parts should not be stocking any other 10w-60 bacause there is no application for it in any current BMWs. 10w-60 only applied to M cars.
      10-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthboundMisfit View Post
One I know of is Brisbane BMW. Last time I had my oil changed there (18 months ago), they used Shell 10W60.
That's a long time between oil changes and given our climate I think 12 months max regardless of kms we do. In fact when I brought up the bearing issue, they asked me to keep the oil "fresh".
      10-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
That's a long time between oil changes and given our climate I think 12 months max regardless of kms we do. In fact when I brought up the bearing issue, they asked me to keep the oil "fresh".
That wasn't my last oil change, it was my last change at Brisbane BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That wasn't my last oil change, it was my last change at Brisbane BMW.
      10-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
Top Shelf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AMG C63 Edition 507

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Mines just come up asking me to add 1 litre of oil, is a BMW dealership the only place to purchase Castrol TWS? Also, what sort of oil consumption are you guys getting, are you needing to top up at any stage after a certain amount of klms? between services?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #16
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Mines just come up asking me to add 1 litre of oil, is a BMW dealership the only place to purchase Castrol TWS? Also, what sort of oil consumption are you guys getting, are you needing to top up at any stage after a certain amount of klms? between services?
Normally I have to add 1 litre soon after an oil change ... and I have always put it down to new oil burning. Given that I change oil every 12 months and short trips, I go through a litre. I am sure others can chip in with their experience.

If I am not mistaken, dealers are the only one carry the 1 litre bottles. Not seen them anywhere else ... evn at BP stations. Again someone can add to this.
      10-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #17
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
...anyway so who has used approved 5w-30 and possibly also LL-01 in Aus in their E92 M3?...
Haven't used "approved 5w-30", but have been using Mobil 1 5W-50 (PDS link) for 12 months, and am about to go to Mobil 1 0W-40 (PDS link) which is "BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01".

If you're interested, the BITOG site has a number of articles on the topic of motor oils, including - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
Yellow Snow
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe. Stock no more!

Castrol Edge 10w60 and Edge professional are both 'Approved for BMW M vehicles'. The Professional title is just a new name for it. There is absolutely no problem using it under warranty
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #19
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Haven't used "approved 5w-30", but have been using Mobil 1 5W-50 (PDS link) for 12 months, and am about to go to Mobil 1 0W-40 (PDS link) which is "BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01".

If you're interested, the BITOG site has a number of articles on the topic of motor oils, including - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
I hear a lot of folks in US are now jumping on LL01 Mobil 0w-40. Do you know if LL01 oils are also 'approved', as I couldn't figure it out from my research? Are you hoping it's better for daily driving or the track? I would have thought perhaps just DD and the 10w60 might still be better at the track. This oil dilemma for the S65 has been ongoing for years now and with more bearing problems surfacing, people are getting carried away. BMW also recently threw a spanner by recommending 5w-30
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
I hear a lot of folks in US are now jumping on LL01 Mobil 0w-40. Do you know if LL01 oils are also 'approved', as I couldn't figure it out from my research? Are you hoping it's better for daily driving or the track? I would have thought perhaps just DD and the 10w60 might still be better at the track. This oil dilemma for the S65 has been ongoing for years now and with more bearing problems surfacing, people are getting carried away. BMW also recently threw a spanner by recommending 5w-30
I'm not sure about LL01 being 'approved', so can't comment.

I just have a preference for lower viscosity engine oil. Like many things (tyres, brakes, fuel), I think it comes down to the personal preference, experience, and thought processes of the owner. In my case, for example, I have always preferred to run the lowest viscosity oil recommended by the manufacturer (seems logical to me), that meets or exceeds specifications. I have done that on all my cars for many years without issue.

That being said, my car is well out of warranty, so all risk is borne by me. I know many folks have warranty concerns, so their risk appetite is likely different to mine, and also appreciate each to their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
I think when it comes to engine oil, it's a big "no no" to go outside the OEM recommendations. I have raised this with BMW Australia and they don't have any directives from BMW M AG. I don't think they are going to actively seek this information based on an internet story. I suggest you think twice before using anything other than TWS. I have no issues using it in Perth because it nicely warms up and stays hot. You just have to be patient until the car warms up and you see the clock start to tick in the instrument cluster where the oil indicator is. A small price to pay.

Why won't you have an oil analysis done? I did one recently. It looks all good.
      10-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
Mtria
Rep

Hi, I'll go by previous experience here, and by someone who has called the head office (cheers aussiem3) if BMW Aus are saying "if you use anything other than TWS they wont cover you", USE TWS!! It's all well and good now to use something very similar but trust me, when there is a problem and you do take your car back and there's lots of $$$ up for a claim within or out of warranty, using non approved oil will not work in your favor. look at it from the perspective of mediator or third party, in the event something goes terribly wrong they will ask what oil did you use in your car?? BMW, what oil is approved for your engines?? you will loose 99.9% of the time, so for piece of mind and for an extra $50 or so on oil I will be dropping the Castrol Edge Professional 10W60 SN and purchasing M approved TWS, $50 v Price of an E92 M3 engine, I know which one I am choosing.
Appreciate 0