BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEVERAL

Test drove a Nissan GTR

My wife and I went down to Arlington, TX this week to watch the Yankees play. It was a fun trip. I got us front row seats in the comissioners box and Arod gave my wife a ball. Pretty cool! I had also set up an appointment to look at a GT-R while down there. So we went to look at it (a red one) and the salesman gave us the keys and told us to go have fun. So we did! Pure adrenaline. This car is just stupid. After just driving it normally for awhile we hit a stop sign. I told my wife to hang on. I hammered it. Unbelievable acceleration. No muss. No fuss. There was no tire spin and I would assume that's the feeling one would get on a rocket ship. We hit 120 before the end of the on ramp where I slowed it down. We drove a little on the highway and the car was pretty calm. We got off and I saw a Mustang GT behind me. We hit a stop sign and it was a guy with his kid looking at us both smiling. He got on it! So, I showed him what it was about. Haha. All in all it was a very nice experience. This particular car had deleted cats and was pretty loud. My wife didn't like the noise. I told her we'd go look at a stock one. So, yesterday morning we went to another dealership in Dallas to look at a black one. We got there and went in the front door where it was just a room with another door. It had a sign on the door that said to ring the bell by apointment only. Crap! We rung the bell anyway and a lady answered and I told her I didn't have an appointment but was from out of town and wanted to see the GT-R. So she got me with a saleman. He walked us thru the office to a door that led into a warehouse. He opened the door and my jaw hit the floor. There was approximately 200 cars in there, but the first thing I saw was a Ferarri California and a 612. Both silver. Next to those were 2 Porsches...GT2 and GT3! Behind those were more Ferarri's. 2 360's and an F430. We walked us thru many Mercedes SL's a C63, some Maybach's, Rolls, Bentley's, Aston Martin's, etc. I was like a kid in a candy store! We looked at the GT-R and started it up. We talked about it for awhile and my wife kept going over to the Bentley section. There must have been 15 of them, so he let us sit in one. Wow, what a car! We probably spent 2 hours there just looking over all these exotics. I could've spent all day in there. It was a wonderful trip and we're definitely sold on the GT-R. We just need to discuss it a bit. Just wanted to share!

Last edited by PhiDeltBeers; 08-13-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EB M235i

Icanhazride?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
e90David335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport, 1990 325is

Amazing story!
Hope you make the investment!
      08-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep

And the baseball....

Wish I would've had my camera or phone in that warehouse!!
      08-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90David335i View Post
Amazing story!
Hope you make the investment!
lol a car like that is not an investment.
      08-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Here is a nice GTR from C&C...
Attached Images

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

WHile I would personally take an E92 M3 over a GT-R, you cannot deny the sheer performance value of the big Nissan. They built a full-on supercar available to the masses for just $80k or so. Look at its TG track time. Just a half second behind the new F458!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
WHile I would personally take an E92 M3 over a GT-R, you cannot deny the sheer performance value of the big Nissan. They built a full-on supercar available to the masses for just $80k or so. Look at its TG track time. Just a half second behind the new F458!!!!
Yeah, if it is too good to be true it probably is. Like 8k for a 20k mi service.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

I had an opportunity to get the GTR over my M3, up to know im still having lingering doubts if I had made the right decision :|
      08-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
Arod gave my wife a ball. Pretty cool!
LOL...it's 5am just came back. Btw seemed like a nice trip. I wish that I could test pilot a GT-R see if it lives up to the hype. Sadly there's not a lot driving around over here.....so they don't sit around dealers lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

A guy via 6speed just traded his 11' GT-R in on a 997.2 S over a Boardwalk Porsche. Barely broken in, white/dark wheels. Maybe the gunmetal but I think they are black. FYI if you are still here it is at Dallas North Tollway/Plano Parkway.

I will snag a pic and post..
Not sure of the terminology but the 11' cars have a new comfort setting.

I am pretty sure you were at a store I know. If it is the same place I know the owner through one of my brothers. If you lean towards his car I could make a call if you want. It could help, who knows..

g/l
Attached Images

Last edited by gonzo; 08-14-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Yeah, if it is too good to be true it probably is. Like 8k for a 20k mi service.
I've spent a few hours looking over the GTR forums, and as long as you don't track the car, the maintenance is about on par with other performance cars.

Remember, only our BMWs have their brakes etc covered.

you can warp the GTR brakes in 1 or a few track events, or it will last you a good few years

Oil changes are about $120-180, depending on where you buy the oil and who does the work; just like any other high performance car. (wasn't e46 M3 close to 200? correct me if I'm wrong)

Transmission and differential fluid changes are pricey, about $2k; but again if you don't track it, you don't need to do it that often.

From my reading and research, it costs a little over $2000 to maintain a GTR if you don't track it.
However, if you track it moderately, each track day will cost you between $1000-5000 (this varies depending on how hardcore you take it; tires are factored here too)

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php
Great site
Many people not like me are there; they're in their 30s 40s etc.

I haven't researched Porsche maintenance, but my friend with a 08 997 Carrera tells me he has spennt about 1800 a year so far. he pays ~300 per oil change at the dealer (seems like a rip off at 300 tbh)
He has i think 20k or so on the car now.

The only worry with the GTR is once you hit the 36k miles/3 year mark... you lose warranty.
Then again, warranty seems to cover nothing from what I've read online...

Good luck and yes a car like this (or any car really) is not an 'investment,' financially speaking.
but you can call it an investment in your happiness hehe.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
EMT
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

That gray GT-R is nuts.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm actually leaning toward that grey color (if I decide to pull the trigger). The red one was in Arlington at Texas Auto Liquidators. The warehouse I went to with all the exotics is Straight Line Automotive Group (http://www.straightlineautomotivegroup.com/).

You guys are right about it not being an investment. Being a business owner, I'm trying to justify it it. I could dump the money into the business or have fun with a car at the age of 33. I know I only live once, but does that justify it. I'm still on the fence, but I'm in no hurry. My business will be paid off in 3 years and will make this purchase a breeze. I would be able to afford over a million dollar house at that point (but won't), as I currently have a $600k house (don't need anything more). Purchasing the car now would be great, but I don't want coworkers to start talking about my income with the market the way it is. It's really a tough decision. The car, on the other hand, made me smile like no other. And that's after test driving a couple Z06 Corvette's. Pure joy. Not trying to start a buying debate, just stating my situation finanicially. I won't be swayed one way or another by any input on here FWIW.
      08-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Yep, that's his store. He mows through/buying and selling some serious cars here and overseas. Does he still have that SL65 BS? I would not buy one but that thing sure was purrrrty.

You are many Moons younger than myself but your judgement is spot on. Keep watering the business to make it grow and look at toys when it bears a set goal of fruit.

There will always be cars to buy. Now happens to be the best time to buy them in a long time.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually leaning toward that grey color (if I decide to pull the trigger). The red one was in Arlington at Texas Auto Liquidators. The warehouse I went to with all the exotics is Straight Line Automotive Group (http://www.straightlineautomotivegroup.com/).

You guys are right about it not being an investment. Being a business owner, I'm trying to justify it it. I could dump the money into the business or have fun with a car at the age of 33. I know I only live once, but does that justify it. I'm still on the fence, but I'm in no hurry. My business will be paid off in 3 years and will make this purchase a breeze. I would be able to afford over a million dollar house at that point (but won't), as I currently have a $600k house (don't need anything more). Purchasing the car now would be great, but I don't want coworkers to start talking about my income with the market the way it is. It's really a tough decision. The car, on the other hand, made me smile like no other. And that's after test driving a couple Z06 Corvette's. Pure joy. Not trying to start a buying debate, just stating my situation finanicially. I won't be swayed one way or another by any input on here FWIW.
Why not loot at used?

I saw a few nice low mileage ones here for 66k-69k

2200 miles, 66k
1700 miles, 68k
2009s
2010s with about 5k are about 68-73

that's a good 10k saved.

But yeah... you can build the business then buy it.
I'm debating on saving money and investing so that I can buy what I really want: a F430.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

No paragraphs. No read.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #18
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^ Yep, that's his store. He mows through/buying and selling some serious cars here and overseas. Does he still have that SL65 BS? I would not buy one but that thing sure was purrrrty.

You are many Moons younger than myself but your judgement is spot on. Keep watering the business to make it grow and look at toys when it bears a set goal of fruit.

There will always be cars to buy. Now happens to be the best time to buy them in a long time.
That's cool you know about that place. They have over 20 million dollars of inventory in there. They had an SL 65 but I don't believe it was a Black Series. It was red, and I didn't look it over too closely as there were about 6 or 7 SL's all sitting there together. Here's the SL 65 they had: http://www.straightlineautomotivegro...port-Dallas-TX

I've always hated going to car dealerships, because of the pressure pitches. The guy I dealt with (Benny) was all about showing me everything in there. It was truly a great experience for any car enthusiast. Living in Tulsa, there is no dealership that even comes close to that. As a matter of fact, Porsche is about as good as it gets here. We have the typical Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, etc, but nothing exotic. Here's the GT-R I looked at:
http://www.straightlineautomotivegro...mium-Dallas-TX
      08-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's cool you know about that place. They have over 20 million dollars of inventory in there. They had an SL 65 but I don't believe it was a Black Series. It was red, and I didn't look it over too closely as there were about 6 or 7 SL's all sitting there together. Here's the SL 65 they had: http://www.straightlineautomotivegro...port-Dallas-TX

I've always hated going to car dealerships, because of the pressure pitches. The guy I dealt with (Benny) was all about showing me everything in there. It was truly a great experience for any car enthusiast. Living in Tulsa, there is no dealership that even comes close to that. As a matter of fact, Porsche is about as good as it gets here. We have the typical Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, etc, but nothing exotic. Here's the GT-R I looked at:

Sexy GTR

Try to find one under 5k miles if you can though :P

That SL is amazing...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Jeremy is a solid guy and they have a gold rating if anyone notices a car they may be interested in. He got so busy they had to open another store down the street. At least that is what he emailed me awhile back. I think he is also a good hunter of specific cars for people.

I just browsed his inventory and the SL BS is gone as is a LP560 vert he had.
It does look like Bentley City in there. I don't ride anymore but that Ducati is sweet.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #21
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I haven't researched Porsche maintenance, but my friend with a 08 997 Carrera tells me he has spennt about 1800 a year so far.
Really? Is he tracking his car a lot?

I've owned my car for close to 4 years know and I haven't come close to the "$1,800" a year figure. Are you sure he doesn't own a Gallardo?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #22
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
A guy via 6speed just traded his 11' GT-R in on a 997.2 S over a Boardwalk Porsche. Barely broken in, white/dark wheels. Maybe the gunmetal but I think they are black. FYI if you are still here it is at Dallas North Tollway/Plano Parkway.

I will snag a pic and post..
Not sure of the terminology but the 11' cars have a new comfort setting.

I am pretty sure you were at a store I know. If it is the same place I know the owner through one of my brothers. If you lean towards his car I could make a call if you want. It could help, who knows..

g/l
DIBS on this car..he's on this forum..just PM'd him lol.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0