BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

comfort access problem

Ok I just read a lot of thread about comfort access problem. But didn't find anything to help the problem I'm having. I just got my 2010 SP E92 M yesterday no tint yet.

I know, to open the door all I have to do is hold the door handle.
And to lock, put a finger on top of the handle where there are little bumps.

Is been working fine on till tonight. I can't lock/unlock the door without using the key pad. And when I open the door there is no sound anymore, before there is a bell sound.

The funny thing is that the passenger side work ( lock/unlock ) without using the key pad, and the trunk works too.

This is really annoying.
Anyone have the same problem ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

i have same problem with my 09.... happened about a week after i got it..

dealer replaced the door handle.. and it didn't fix it completely... they've looked at it 2 more times after that and say "there's nothing wrong with it"...

So good luck!
      12-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Same problem with both fob's? I had an issue with this a few months back - I tried my other fob and had no issues, battery issue maybe - haven't used the other fob since. I might change the battery and see what happens, could be the fob itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I have had the same issue a few times and it cured itself after a few lock cycles.I mentioned it to the dealer and it was the nomal response that I sort of expected"NFF"!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
CA works pretty much 50% of the time. it's so cool when it does, and so embarrassing when it doesnt. sometimes i have to try like 10x to get it to work, it's very weak compared to the one that ships with the E60, and E63... it gets annoying when u have a shit load of stuff in ur hand and trying to pop the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
NetBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

My passenger side rarely unlocks when I touch the ridges. Driver side unlocks/locks most of the time. Trunk always opens.

When I wash my car and spray the door handles they unlock and lock all the time. One time it unlocked about five times as I was rinsing the car. I then pulled driver side door handle and it sounded like a machine gun when door opened, lock/unlock really fast for a few seconds.
I now leave my key in the garage when I wash my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

At times you look like a jackass stroking that handle trying to lock it. Maybe the wipers will squirt if you keep going! I just walk away and reach in my pocket and hit the circle.
      12-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Yeah, it is unfortunately just the way the system works. It obviously has it's design flaws and I can tell you that mine never worked that well either. I had a hard time getting the car to lock when pressing the door handle "ridges" at times, the door handles took more than 1 pull before they unlocked, the trunk was ALWAYS slow to react/open.

What I can say is that the system GM uses on the new Corvettes (for example) is light years ahead of BMW's CA system. On the Vette, the key remains in my pocket at all times. I walk up to the car and grab the door-open switch, and it always opens. When I leave the car, it automatically locks when I walk away. It can be configured many ways, but is always seems to work. I also love the fact that I don't have to stop and press my finger on the door handle or dig through my pocket to find the lock button on the fob when walking away. I usually used the fob button on the M3 to lock the car because the CA lock feature was kind of a PIA.

But anyway..... if one particular door is constantly not working, then you probably have a defective TAGE (door handle electronics module). Should be an easy fix if that is the case.
      12-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
i have same problem with my 09.... happened about a week after i got it..

dealer replaced the door handle.. and it didn't fix it completely... they've looked at it 2 more times after that and say "there's nothing wrong with it"...

So good luck!
When you said " it didn't fix it completely," what you mean by that Sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Same problem with both fob's? I had an issue with this a few months back - I tried my other fob and had no issues, battery issue maybe - haven't used the other fob since. I might change the battery and see what happens, could be the fob itself.
I'm going on a 3 hour trip today, I will charge the key and see if is the battery problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I have had the same issue a few times and it cured itself after a few lock cycles.I mentioned it to the dealer and it was the nomal response that I sort of expected"NFF"!
When you said "after a few lock cycles." Did you mean after using the key pad few time locking/unlocking, the door handle will work again?

Is a 2010 model, I can't believe BMW didn't fix this problem yet. And I only got this car for a day.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBoy View Post
My passenger side rarely unlocks when I touch the ridges.
Remember the ridges are only to LOCK the doors; I was doing the same mistake as you, so don't feel bad . To open the door you need to touch the INSIDE of the door handle, which is the normal thing to do while opening the door. Hope this helps .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBoy View Post
When I wash my car and spray the door handles they unlock and lock all the time.
That's extremely annoying indeed. But I'm afraid to leave the stupid key inside the car and get locked out. Yeah, it shouldn't do that, but it shouldn't lock and unlock the car a hundred times either . Next time will probably take a ziplock bag and leave the key on the carwash corner, by the coin panel. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
I'm going on a 3 hour trip today, I will charge the key and see if is the battery problem.
Comfort access fobs aren't rechargeable. Could replace the battery, but doubt that's bad this fast!
      12-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
What I can say is that the system GM uses on the new Corvettes (for example) is light years ahead of BMW's CA system. On the Vette, the key remains in my pocket at all times. I walk up to the car and grab the door-open switch, and it always opens. When I leave the car, it automatically locks when I walk away. It can be configured many ways, but is always seems to work. I also love the fact that I don't have to stop and press my finger on the door handle or dig through my pocket to find the lock button on the fob when walking away. I usually used the fob button on the M3 to lock the car because the CA lock feature was kind of a PIA.
I came here to say this.

Who would have thought that GM would be showing BMW how to do it? (My 'vette was an 05 too, so they've had it figured out for a while). Chevy's comfort access does what comfort access is supposed to do -- let you drop your key in your pocket and just forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

CA has for the most part worked for me very well. I do notice if it's tangled with the rest of my keys, some how it prevents it from working but I shuffle the fob out by itself and tap the handle and it works again.

It will always works if I only have the fob without other keys. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
I came here to say this.

Who would have thought that GM would be showing BMW how to do it? (My 'vette was an 05 too, so they've had it figured out for a while). Chevy's comfort access does what comfort access is supposed to do -- let you drop your key in your pocket and just forget about it.
My comfort access works fine. I have a 2009 model e92.

The day GM teaches anyone anything...it will be a cold day in hell.

Edit:

However, I do think their magnetic adjustable suspension is pretty sweet; However, I don't think that was their [GM] idea since BOSE was experimenting with the same type of suspension many years ago.

Ref: http://www.bose.com/controller?event...components.jsp

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

I had the equivalent in my speed6 of comfort access, and the battery in the Fob plays a HUGE roll in how well the comfort access works. I bought 10 batteries off of ebay (its alot cheaper than buying in the store) and kept them and changed them every spring/fall. I also know that if you have the fob in the same pocket as say your iphone it wont work. not sure if this applies to the bimmers but I know there were a few cold nights like 0 degrees out and the fob wouldnt work on the speed. so far my m3 comfort access has worked pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
My comfort access works fine. I have a 2009 model e92.

Edit:

However, I do think their magnetic adjustable suspension is pretty sweet; However, I don't think that was their [GM] idea since BOSE was experimenting with the same type of suspension many years ago.

Ref: http://www.bose.com/controller?event...components.jsp

-SZ
Those are two totally different types of suspensions. I think GM's was in production when Bose was testing that one of theirs. That being said, Bose's appears to be miles ahead. It looks like it's some sort of linear motor. (There's a video of a car JUMPING a 2x4 with that suspension).

GM's just uses a fluid that changes its viscosity in response to an electrical charge. (magnetorheological fluid or something like that if I'm not mistaken)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Also... Ferrari licenses GM's Magnetic Ride suspension. GM surely won't be exporting their management techniques, but they've developed some great tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Problem Fixed, after 6 hours.

This is what it said on my paper work:

Inspect door harness, found harness rubbing on door break inside of drivers door.
Found power wire to pull handle and 3 other wires chafed from door break.

Removed driver front door harness.
Repair chafed wires.
Reinstall harness and door panel, Clear Faults.
Check operation - Ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
Also... Ferrari licenses GM's Magnetic Ride suspension.
Isn't the same technology used on the EDC option? If not, what the heck is it? I was under the impression magnetorheological fluid was the only way to electronically alter shock settings. The M3 technical .pdf file says nothing about that, saying it's explained on the E65 document (nice!).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #20
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I've noticed my CA doesnt work as well with my blackberry in the same pocket.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #21
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Isn't the same technology used on the EDC option? If not, what the heck is it? I was under the impression magnetorheological fluid was the only way to electronically alter shock settings. The M3 technical .pdf file says nothing about that, saying it's explained on the E65 document (nice!).
That was my understanding too.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #22
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I think it's the same tech, but not licensed. I think BMW rolled their own on this one.
Appreciate 0