BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

08-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #23
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Really? Is he tracking his car a lot?

I've owned my car for close to 4 years know and I haven't come close to the "$1,800" a year figure. Are you sure he doesn't own a Gallardo?
He goes a couple times a year.

Again, it's just what he's told me. No real merit; if i had researched it I would have had something more solid to say.

If you don't mind, how much do you spend?

He does change tires every 10k miles like me; which I think he counters it into the 1800 figure.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #24
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

wow test drove the GTRs and didnt buy?, thats a tough thing to do.
IMO i wouldnt even bother test driving something im not ready to buy immediately. It makes no sense to me nor to the salesperson.
I guess since Im a salesman myself, Im looking to close deals asap, and on top of that Id hate to tease myself so badly.
thanks for the pics. one of my fav cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #25
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Really? Is he tracking his car a lot?

I've owned my car for close to 4 years know and I haven't come close to the "$1,800" a year figure. Are you sure he doesn't own a Gallardo?

Wow...really??? According to some reports, I think $1800 is the minimum you pay to maintain a GTR over 6 months or so.

If your quote about the maintenance on the GT3 is true and ,if I have enough money to buy a track car, the next Gt3 would surely be my choice.
      08-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #26
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Wow...really??? According to some reports, I think $1800 is the minimum you pay to maintain a GTR over 6 months or so.

If your quote about the maintenance on the GT3 is true and ,if I have enough money to buy a track car, the next Gt3 would surely be my choice.
Are you mixing up GTR and GT3?

Maintenance determines on the driver.

My Mom's mercedes hasn't had a brake change in 2 years (though it'd due for one soon)
When I had my C230 back in the day, I changed pads 3 times and rotors once in 3 years.

So, if you get a GT3 or a GTR, you may or may not spend as much as others.

I want to look into the maintenance for a C63
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #27
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:

I'm not sure what "report" would say $1800 is the minimum to maintain a GT3 for 6 months. The 30,000 mile service doesn't even cost that much.

Unless you're changing tires every 6 months or doing oil changes every 1,000 miles, I don't see that figure being realistic.

Porsche's are actually one of the "cheapest" exotics to maintain, and if you exclude the 997.2 GT3 RS, you can do a lot of the maintenance work in your own garage (oil, brakes, filters).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #28
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what "report" would say $1800 is the minimum to maintain a GT3 for 6 months. The 30,000 mile service doesn't even cost that much.

Unless you're changing tires every 6 months or doing oil changes every 1,000 miles, I don't see that figure being realistic.

Porsche's are actually one of the "cheapest" exotics to maintain, and if you exclude the 997.2 GT3 RS, you can do a lot of the maintenance work in your own garage (oil, brakes, filters).
Some of us don't feel comfortable doing out own haha

Soooo may I ask how much you've spent so far?

What's a typical oil change?
As the dealer quote $300 or so.

Porsche aren't cheap when they're out of warranty though... one reason I got rid of my boxster...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #29
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Are you mixing up GTR and GT3?

Maintenance determines on the driver.

My Mom's mercedes hasn't had a brake change in 2 years (though it'd due for one soon)
When I had my C230 back in the day, I changed pads 3 times and rotors once in 3 years.

So, if you get a GT3 or a GTR, you may or may not spend as much as others.

I want to look into the maintenance for a C63
Hey man, my automotive general knowledge ain't that bad that I would mixup the names of a Porsche gt3 with Nissan GTR.
I was just saying that if GT3 is that cheap to maintain, it would be a great choice for a track car.

And yehh, I totally agree with ''Maintenance depends on driving style'' point. Obviously you must be driving a little more spiritedly then your mom and also, putting on some more miles on the car.
So who knows, maybe if you baby a GTR(Nissan)(It's known for it's high maintenance), it won't be that bad

Last edited by OBI_agent; 08-16-2010 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #30
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:

When are people going to start trusting each other? Lol...anyway, if I were in your postion, I would have asked the same question.

Ok, here's a long term test of a GTR on edmunds.

Quote:
Total Body Repair Costs: $3,500 (paid by at-fault driver's insurance)
Total Routine Maintenance Costs (over 15 months): $3,953.58
Additional Maintenance Costs: $4,334.56

Warranty Repairs: 6
Non-Warranty Repairs: 5 — windshield, three sets of tires, body damage
Scheduled Dealer Visits: 6
Unscheduled Dealer Visits: 10
Days Out of Service: 67 (37 + 30 for body damage estimate/repair)
Breakdowns Stranding Driver: 0
Quote:
We had the car serviced at 5,979 and then 12,072 miles, and while both bills were expensive, they were within reason. At 18,913 miles, however, things got crazy, as in $2,009.67 crazy. As in so crazy that we paid $114 per quart of transmission fluid.

If you add the routine maintenance with the additional one, the grand total is $8288. That's in 15 months. If you average it out to 6 months, it comes to around $3315 for a average of 15500 miles.

I know that there could be many factors in the build up to this huge bill for e.g: Different drivers, bad roads, abusive driving, etc. But you got to admitt, it's maintenance ain't no ''routine'' bill. It's more expensive to maintain the GTR then a similarly priced car.

Anyway, if you want to check out the link on this article, here it is http://www.insideline.com/nissan/gt-...ssan-gt-r.html

There are other long term tests too but, I don't feel like searching. I'm fasting so I feel a lil lazy.
      08-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #31
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

I've had my 2010 GTR (that I don't track) for 12 months now.

Here are the costs after 26,000km ;

1. oil change x2 - $262 each

2. 1 set of tires $2000

So there you have it, $2534 after a year. $534 more than my M3.

The recommended trans fluid change at 30,000km is no longer, it's change interval is now dependent on how you drive. When I need to, I won't be going OEM. There are several less costly and superior longer lasting solutions there.

The way I drive my car I cant see myself needing new pads for at least another 25-30,000km

Not so bad.....

The cost to track this car are a bit crazy but probably in line or less costly than anything else with similar performance.

There is far less GTR mystique than there used to be which is helping to drive prices down & options up.

I personally believe that magazines were getting off on embellishing and focusing on the artificially high costs to "maintain" this car when they should really have stated that they were tracking the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #32
Project1
Bimmer Love
Rep
Drives: You will figure it out...

Having an exotic is awesome but expensive. At least this will be cheaper for you than my Maserati was. I mean really, $600 for an oil change...F that sucked.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #33
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
I've had my 2010 GTR (that I don't track) for 12 months now.

Here are the costs after 26,000km ;

1. oil change x2 - $262 each

2. 1 set of tires $2000

So there you have it, $2534 after a year. $534 more than my M3.

The recommended trans fluid change at 30,000km is no longer, it's change interval is now dependent on how you drive. When I need to, I won't be going OEM. There are several less costly and superior longer lasting solutions there.

The way I drive my car I cant see myself needing new pads for at least another 25-30,000km

Not so bad.....

The cost to track this car are a bit crazy but probably in line or less costly than anything else with similar performance.

There is far less GTR mystique than there used to be which is helping to drive prices down & options up.

I personally believe that magazines were getting off on embellishing and focusing on the artificially high costs to "maintain" this car when they should really have stated that they were tracking the car.
Lucky SOB.

You know what, I haven't even got a GTR(I can't afford one) and I still think about ...how I'm going to save money on maintaining it...lol.

Hmm, your post shows that you have researched on your car's maintenance alot as going with a different transmission fluid would be cheaper and more long lasting then OEM. There are also a number differential fluids on display which are cheaper and more long lasting. SO you can save some money there as well
      08-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #34
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:

i've had my GTR for at least 6 months so far and all i've payed was $210 for an oil change
tires and one year service (earlier) will probably be next. these magazines really make out this car to be a bitch to maintain but in reality it isnt. i mean it isn't cheap that's for sure, but it also won't kill you. (knock on wood)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #35
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Here is a nice GTR from C&C...
I've seen this at C&C before. Never liked the fact that he ditched the mesh on the diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #36
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
I'm actually leaning toward that grey color (if I decide to pull the trigger). The red one was in Arlington at Texas Auto Liquidators. The warehouse I went to with all the exotics is Straight Line Automotive Group (http://www.straightlineautomotivegroup.com/).

You guys are right about it not being an investment. Being a business owner, I'm trying to justify it it. I could dump the money into the business or have fun with a car at the age of 33. I know I only live once, but does that justify it. I'm still on the fence, but I'm in no hurry. My business will be paid off in 3 years and will make this purchase a breeze. I would be able to afford over a million dollar house at that point (but won't), as I currently have a $600k house (don't need anything more). Purchasing the car now would be great, but I don't want coworkers to start talking about my income with the market the way it is. It's really a tough decision. The car, on the other hand, made me smile like no other. And that's after test driving a couple Z06 Corvette's. Pure joy. Not trying to start a buying debate, just stating my situation finanicially. I won't be swayed one way or another by any input on here FWIW.
You're lucky. 600k buys you a 1000-1500 sqft condo in CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #37
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
But we're in Cali! haha

Changing tires 3 times in 15k miles... i don't care if you have a GTR, a Porsche, a M3, or a 335i.. it'll add up

I change tires about once every 10k, but that's cause I can get anal about it.

But i don't spent 1500 on a set... i usually spend about 600-800, depending.

Hankook V12s FTW :P
Or really good conditions used tires, if need be.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #38
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEVERAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'd hate to see what a $100k per year gets you in CA! Homeless??
      08-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #39
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenskid24 View Post
wow test drove the GTRs and didnt buy?, thats a tough thing to do.
IMO i wouldnt even bother test driving something im not ready to buy immediately. It makes no sense to me nor to the salesperson.
I guess since Im a salesman myself, Im looking to close deals asap, and on top of that Id hate to tease myself so badly.
thanks for the pics. one of my fav cars.
My reasoning for test driving it was that for the longest time, I wan't a C6 Z06. I test drove 2 of them and it didn't put the smile on my face I was after. I figured if I'm going to buy a toy for that kind of money...I better be real happy with the purchase. I'm not going to hurry this process. I'm going to drive several cars in the price range and decide what I like best. That GT-R tops the list so far. Believe it or not, my wife and I liked the IS-F quite a bit. Not quite the car the GT-R is though. The Z06 felt big and was really loud. And believe it or not, I liked the auto tranny in the GT-R better than the manual Z06. It was easier to get performance out of it and my wife struggles in a manual. Plus I like the back seat as I have a 1 year old daughter.
      08-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #40
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My reasoning for test driving it was that for the longest time, I wan't a C6 Z06. I test drove 2 of them and it didn't put the smile on my face I was after. I figured if I'm going to buy a toy for that kind of money...I better be real happy with the purchase. I'm not going to hurry this process. I'm going to drive several cars in the price range and decide what I like best. That GT-R tops the list so far. Believe it or not, my wife and I liked the IS-F quite a bit. Not quite the car the GT-R is though. The Z06 felt big and was really loud. And believe it or not, I liked the auto tranny in the GT-R better than the manual Z06. It was easier to get performance out of it and my wife struggles in a manual. Plus I like the back seat as I have a 1 year old daughter.
Will the GTR be your DD?
Or will you keep your 3 for that?

Z06 are horrible DDs IMHO
Great car and very fun to drive, but not ideal for a DD.
The GTR isn't an ideal DD either, but better than a Z06.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #41
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Do people really buy cars like a Z06 thinking about how good of a daily driver it will be? I'm not trying to be facetious, but when I was shopping for a car in that performance range, that thought never crossed my mind, once.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #42
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Will the GTR be your DD?
Or will you keep your 3 for that?

Z06 are horrible DDs IMHO
Great car and very fun to drive, but not ideal for a DD.
The GTR isn't an ideal DD either, but better than a Z06.
My wife wants me to keep it for a DD. I'll sell the 335. I would rather have a truck or an SUV for a DD. Like I said earlier, I just don't want to drive a car like that to work and have people start questioning my income. We layed off 9 people today, so it just doesn't look good. However, my wife thinks I'd want to drive the GTR everyday. So it's debatable. I lik the thought of a backseat, so I could take the fam to church or just on a cruise. So, we're just trying to think everything thru before purchasing. All of our other cars have been pretty spontaneous.
      08-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #43
mrcardio
LDrunner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' MS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
i've had my GTR for at least 6 months so far and all i've payed was $210 for an oil change
tires and one year service (earlier) will probably be next. these magazines really make out this car to be a bitch to maintain but in reality it isnt. i mean it isn't cheap that's for sure, but it also won't kill you. (knock on wood)
Well you’ve answered your own question, six months of ownership isn’t enough time to determine how costly it will be to maintain. I don’t know one why or the other but if I bought a GT-R I would have fun with it. Hard driving on the street (which is what I’d be doing if I had a GT-R) could end up costing al most / just as much as beating it up on the track I would think. I’m of the opinion that the GT-R would indeed be expensive to maintain, especially for those who were barely able to afford one to begin with. I’d rather have an E92 M3 though and put 20k in the bank.

Last edited by mrcardio; 08-16-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #44
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
My wife wants me to keep it for a DD. I'll sell the 335. I would rather have a truck or an SUV for a DD. Like I said earlier, I just don't want to drive a car like that to work and have people start questioning my income. We layed off 9 people today, so it just doesn't look good. However, my wife thinks I'd want to drive the GTR everyday. So it's debatable. I lik the thought of a backseat, so I could take the fam to church or just on a cruise. So, we're just trying to think everything thru before purchasing. All of our other cars have been pretty spontaneous.
You have an escalade and a gx470! Get a gt-r lol. I'm trying to fucking find a good one so I can buy it. I feel like every one I find gets sold instantly or the next day. SUCKS ASS..anyways keep me updated if you get one Sis lives in Tulsa also, I visit her a lot so maybe we could both meet up in our gt-rs (if we get them )
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0