BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

anyone regret getting Vorsteiner GTS-V front lip?

as stated, has anyone here bought the VORSTEINER GTS-V front lip for their M3 and completely regretted it?

perhaps fitment wasn't fantastic?

quality a bit off here and there?

scraped the underside too easily?

cracked it within a week of putting it on?

i REALLY like this lip and wanna get it but i can't get around how much it costs! ~$2,500USD

i'm just worried the 2nd day i get it on i'm gonna crack the underside.

also i track my car so i like how its really smooth underneath and has the built in brake ducts.
      06-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

why dont you get the mode carbon one?
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

i really dont like the look of those.
      06-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I have yet to install mine so I cannot directly comment on fitment but I examined several cars at bimmerfest with this lip and some had terrible fitment and others looked great. I am not sure if this is due to a variance in lips or install methods.

My overall impression of the lip is it is way overpriced. Its not structural, its not super light weight, all it has to do is sit there and look pretty so I'm not sure why it costs so much.

I was disappointed by several things:

- You have to drill the mounting holes in the lip. Mine came with 3 holes pre-drilled but apparently more are needed. Some of the gts-v lips I have seen do not come with any pre-drilled holes. For the $$ this thing costs it should come pre drilled.

- Mine is not nearly as pretty as those pictures. It has jagged cuts all over it. I hope none of them are visible once installed.

- The interior of the lip is rough including the areas where it rests on the bumper. Because of this I am pretty sure the bumper will have to be repainted when I decide to remove the lip.

- The interior of the air ducts are rough and not 100% finished. Mine were covered in what looked like wax residue. Hopefully you can't see this once installed.

- There are tons of flaws in all of the vorsteiner parts I have seen. Fisheyes, dust, etc. For the $$ I would expect OEM quality.

- The directions are terrible, no pictures are included. There does not appear to be a standard install method. Just put in a bunch of scews until it fits right. On the same note mine didn't come with directions or I lost them so on the advice of the rep I spoke with at bimmerfest I emailed them for directions. They replied saying I needed to give them the authenticity number before they would send them to me which was somewhat hillarious when I actually received their useless directions. I read most of the install manuals for products before I buy them so I know what I am getting into and also a lot of times they can tell you a lot about a company and the quality of their products.

- The edges of the lip actually mountsoutside of the inner fender liner and theres about a 1/4" gap between the inner fender liner and the lip which looks terrible. Not sure why its like this? The vorsteiner car I saw at bimmerfest had a couple silver wood screws holding the lip to the fender liner (looked pretty awesome..).

Last edited by W Cole; 06-20-2013 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
kbh
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S/BMW E92 M3

any more reviews? i'm planning to get the gts5 bumper, gts-v rear diffuser, trunk and hood from vosteiner. makes me want to double think if i'm buying the right item. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole
I have yet to install mine so I cannot directly comment on fitment but I examined several cars at bimmerfest with this lip and some had terrible fitment and others looked great. I am not sure if this is due to a variance in lips or install methods.

My overall impression of the lip is it is way overpriced. Its not structural, its not super light weight, all it has to do is sit there and look pretty so I'm not sure why it costs so much.

I was disappointed by several things:

- You have to drill the mounting holes in the lip. Mine came with 3 holes pre-drilled but apparently more are needed. Some of the gts-v lips I have seen do not come with any pre-drilled holes. For the $$ this thing costs it should come pre drilled.

- Mine is not nearly as pretty as those pictures. It has jagged cuts all over it. I hope none of them are visible once installed.

- The interior of the lip is rough including the areas where it rests on the bumper. Because of this I am pretty sure the bumper will have to be repainted when I decide to remove the lip.

- The interior of the air ducts are rough and not 100% finished. Mine were covered in what looked like wax residue. Hopefully you can't see this once installed.

- There are tons of flaws in all of the vorsteiner parts I have seen. Fisheyes, dust, etc. For the $$ I would expect OEM quality.

- The directions are terrible, no pictures are included. There does not appear to be a standard install method. Just put in a bunch of scews until it fits right. On the same note mine didn't come with directions or I lost them so on the advice of the rep I spoke with at bimmerfest I emailed them for directions. They replied saying I needed to give them the authenticity number before they would send them to me which was somewhat hillarious when I actually received their useless directions. I read most of the install manuals for products before I buy them so I know what I am getting into and also a lot of times they can tell you a lot about a company and the quality of their products.

- The edges of the lip actually mountsoutside of the inner fender liner and theres about a 1/4" gap between the inner fender liner and the lip which looks terrible. Not sure why its like this? The vorsteiner car I saw at bimmerfest had a couple silver wood screws holding the lip to the fender liner (looked pretty awesome..).
But other than that you love it?
      06-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Ppl always complain about parts being made in asia but buy parts from a company ran by an asian. You know that shit is made in asia. Isnt he korean? I would buy vorsteiner for my hyundai if i had one. Not for my bmw. I dont have anythig against asians. I am korean lol.

Every thread i read on their products is about bad fitment yet ppl buy this shit for $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I bought a diffuser from them and it had many flaws. Little holes, see thru areas where the carbon fiber wasn't aligned properly. It was a joke! I used 3M tape, promoter and It didn't mold correctly at all either.

I'm local to vorsteiner and I called them for a replacement and some guy named Peter said they were sorry and would install it and give me a front lip for my troubles. So I went to them and they said they had to dremel it to fit better! they didn't even ask me if they could either. They installed it after grinding it down and by the time I got home 25 mins away, the tape failed on one side.

I took my car back to them and now they wanted to glue it on but i said no way. They taped it again and if feel off again by the time I got home again.

At this point I just wanted my money back. When I came back to return the diffuser that guy Peter who offered me a lip for my trouble never bothered to even meet me. They guy who handled my install didn't bother to come out and at least say he tried his best, or he was sorry, or even bother to replace the diffuser he cut up and couldn't install.

Instead they send some marketing lady out to see me and she just didn't seem to care how frustrated I was with this considering the time spent trying to make it work but ALSO the huge paint chip I found under the diffuser where the tape would have held.

Instead they took the diffuser back and gave me a business card holder for my troubles.

I'll never buy another product of vorsteiners.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 06-21-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Yikes! just bought a trunk...lets hope it fits ok
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

thank god i created this thread.

saved myself more than a few bucks
      06-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Ppl always complain about parts being made in asia but buy parts from a company ran by an asian. You know that shit is made in asia. Isnt he korean? I would buy vorsteiner for my hyundai if i had one. Not for my bmw. I dont have anythig against asians. I am korean lol.

Every thread i read on their products is about bad fitment yet ppl buy this shit for $$$$.
Vorsteiner makes their parts in Orange County.
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
Vorsteiner makes their parts in Orange County.
I know.

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

One the posts above reminded me of another issue with my lip. There is a see through area where the carbon isn't thick enough. Not only is this a cosmetic issue but I'm pretty sure this isn't very strong...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

I'm happy with my GTS5 bumper but not so much the GTS5 diffuser. No aesthetic flaws but poor molding. I emailed them with photos and they are going to get back to me. Maybe I'll put some suction cups instead of tape....

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #15
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I got a arkym lip from my boys at Supreme Power and it fit perfectly and had no defects. Arkym's customer service sucks, but the product is nice.
      06-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #16
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

i was using an arkym lip before this and i absolutely loved it! fitment was great and the only problem was that i cracked it and sprayed it matt black and now havent decided whether to put it back on or to get another lip.

currently on replica performance splitters.

was also toying with the idea of going ARKYM replacement bumper.
      06-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
1M_@teewhybs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [8.34]
Ive seen one in person that seemed about 1/2 an inch off which looked terrible. I would recommend the Mode Carbon GT4 for something aggressive. Just received my v1 gts from them great quality and fit!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

My Vorsteiner Type II rear diffuser fits perfectly. From what I've seen so far in pics, my Vorsteiner GTS-V fit looks great in pics, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had to have my GTS-V diffuser fitted 3 times before it even got close to acceptable. I wont be buying any more vorsteiner parts. My Arkym motorsport lip fits great and has been on the car for almost 3 years now.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #20
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I had to have my GTS-V diffuser fitted 3 times before it even got close to acceptable. I wont be buying any more vorsteiner parts. My Arkym motorsport lip fits great and has been on the car for almost 3 years now.
What problem were you having and how did you get it acceptable? Out of curiosity when did you buy it?

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
Hershey
CLU KINGSMEN
Rep
Drives: '66 Shelby GT 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M_@teewhybs
Ive seen one in person that seemed about 1/2 an inch off which looked terrible. I would recommend the Mode Carbon GT4 for something aggressive. Just received my v1 gts from them great quality and fit!
+1 on ModeCarbon. Quality pieces & excellent customer service. Happy with them
      06-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
What problem were you having and how did you get it acceptable? Out of curiosity when did you buy it?
It would not sit flush with the bumper due to the contour of the part being off as compared to the contour of the bumper. This caused the tape not to hold. A body shop was finally to get it close.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0