BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #23
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Your third option is matched spring/shock combo.
      12-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #24
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
actually. ride is better on coilovers than springs alone. On coilovers, shocks are technically made to work with the springs, and the whole range of adjustment that the whole setup brings. My KW V3's can be made to feel like stock. Even though I don't have them that way. Considering have both the front and the rear set to as low as they go, the car is IMPRESSIVELY comfortable to be on 3/4 compression stiffness both in the rear and front, and around 1/2 rebound both in front and rear. The car is obviously a lot firmer, yet very VERY comfortable.
These kind of posts make me want V3's so bad. Do you have any suspension clunks or sounds from the V3's? I read the 335 people been having this problem.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #25
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
These kind of posts make me want V3's so bad. Do you have any suspension clunks or sounds from the V3's? I read the 335 people been having this problem.
that could happen with stiff suspensions. On my other car I have a PSS I sometimes have sounds when moving the front wheels while the car is still for example.

as far as the springs vs coilovers, I join what most of the people said. good springs will do the job if you simply are going for looks with the advantage of a relatively low price. the disadvantages, which a coilover systems dont have, are that your stock suspension will suffer over the long run, you might have worse handling, possibly some unexpected jerks in turns/potholes, you cant adjust the height of the car to make sure the fit is just right, for no rubbing and/or whichever wheels you fit on it.

i recommend to anyone (especially who owns an M3!) to get coilovers...sometimes the cheap comes out being more expensive, just remember that
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
No clunks. I did use to hear a small faintly thump (and I mean FAINT, SMALL you really had to have radio off windows up and listen for it) in the rear suspension when it was under rebound, it was very random. I re-tightened everything, and it was still there. Eventually I figured it was the rebound on the coilover might have been at a point where it made a noise, because it didn't use to be there. Now that I lowered the car all the way, there's absolutely NO noises coming from the suspension I really love these things!
      12-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #27
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

OP, and MrHarris, here's an idea of what you can do with coilovers and 18/15mm spacers without rubbing (unless theres 3 or more passengers, its inevitable). Rears might not look as low, but they're actually tucking a little!

12-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
^ that looks great. I'm worried a little about rubbing since I have an aggressive wheel/tire combo in the rear.

19x10 +20, 295/30/19 Yokohama AD08s. Would you mind PMing the price you paid, and mention if you got the EDC module or not? Also could you tell me how much install/corner balance costed?

If I get V3's, do I need front camber plates (Dinan) or rear toe arms (Rogue Engineering) ?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #29
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Making a decision on springs vs coilovers is a common question.

Pairing a stock shock with any spring will cause it to fail prematurely over time.

Sure, you will achieve the look of a lowered car. However, because aftermarket spring rates aren't made specifically for your stock shocks, they will blow over time and use.

My personal recommendation is to do it right the first time and get the right coilover system for your ///M3!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 03:47 AM   #30
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
The drop in the rear are the same between Eibach and H&R but the Eibachs only drop .8" in the front compared to 1.0" from the H&R's.
Personally I think the more conservative front drop of the eibach is better. I have H & R and think the front sits a little too low.

I have just ordered KW V3 with edc as I also found the H & Rs a little bouncy despite what I may have said earlier about them settling down.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 03:55 AM   #31
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Sigh, seems like I'll be purchasing V3's soon...
Mr H just buy them. You know you want them. You know the handling will be better, and don't you just hate the thud you get when driving over a bump in the road on sport springs. That won't happen with coilovers and that bouncy sensation from the stiffer spring messing with the softer standard rebound will also stop!

Plus I know you are as sick as I am convincing yoursef what you need!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #32
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

just ordered a KW V3 +EDC from another forums groupbuy!!!
Appreciate 0