BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

05-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #23
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

You don't have to justify your purchase. Sounds like you got a slamming deal. Naturally aspirated porsche is going to be awesome. That car is definitely legit.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #24
Harpua
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
You don't have to justify your purchase. Sounds like you got a slamming deal. Naturally aspirated porsche is going to be awesome. That car is definitely legit.
      05-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #25
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
Like a I mentioned above, my new 991 was about the same price as the new M3/4. Also, remember that a base 991 Carrera out performed the new M4 at the Anglesey Evo test, despite a 75hp deficit. So you can imagine how it feels for me moving up from an E90 M3. It's not all about the numbers.

oh i understand, like i said above i wanted to get a 911.

a new M3 with a reasonable options will run you around 70-75k.

There are not to many 991 S cars i found around that price. That are low mileage, and packaged how i want. and have decent amount of warranty on them.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #26
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
oh i understand, like i said above i wanted to get a 911.

a new M3 with a reasonable options will run you around 70-75k.

There are not to many 991 S cars i found around that price. That are low mileage, and packaged how i want. and have decent amount of warranty on them.
You, obviously, are not looking hard enough. Just go to autotrader or cars.com and you will find plenty of '12 and '13 991's for $75-80K. I'd do it all day long over an M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #27
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDREDev View Post
You, obviously, are not looking hard enough. Just go to autotrader or cars.com and you will find plenty of '12 and '13 991's for $75-80K. I'd do it all day long over an M3/M4.
they are probably out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #28
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Which still begs the question why the hell dont you own one???? Cant you figure out a way to stuff your kids seat in the back? I just dont know how you can ever live a day in your life depprived of all this "perfection"?
Becos he is too busy selling Porsche kool-aid to everyone who would listen. The only people more obsessed about something than him are those dead cult members.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #29
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
Like a I mentioned above, my new 991 was about the same price as the new M3/4. Also, remember that a base 991 Carrera out performed the new M4 at the Anglesey Evo test, despite a 75hp deficit. So you can imagine how it feels for me moving up from an E90 M3. It's not all about the numbers.

+1

1.4 seconds on a lap that short is a LIFETIME. Plus in reality, there is really like like a 125 hp deficit. Or to put it another way, an M3/4 make about 100 more WHP than a base 991.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #30
MDREDev
Banned
Rep

Quote:
they are probably out there.
I've been looking for myself (along with CaymanS) and was a bit surprised at the number that are available.

Did you get your C7 yet? I'll be interested to hear your review on it. Keep us posted if you don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #31
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been looking for myself (along with CaymanS) and was a bit surprised at the number that are available.

Did you get your C7 yet? I'll be interested to hear your review on it. Keep us posted if you don't mind.
I placed a order with a local dealership in may in hopes to have the car for summer. my dealership said i was put on a waiting list for a allocation. i did the 1k deposit down and got a order number.

So here comes the last week to order 2015 corvettes ( late April), and i find out my local dealership is not able to get a allocation for my car. i had to switch to a bigger corvette dealership that is 40 mins away from me. my dad knows the owner also, and he told my father he can get a allocation. A order went out in late April and car should arrive 2 months after that. looking like late june.

I should already have the car, but had dealership problems as you can see. will for sure do a review.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #32
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Congrats OP!
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #33
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

As I said when comparing the M3 to my new Cayman GTS, The M3 is about as far as you can take a practical transport vehicle and make it perform, but a purpose built high-end sports car is a different matter.

Nevertheless, in all the cars they build, from the base Cayman all the way up the Panamera Turbo S, Porsche just hits the nail on the head better than anyone else in terms of functionality, luxury, styling and the proper amount of sportiness for the particular application. Nobody, in my experience can do this quite as well. Not Mercedes, BMW, or Audi.

Go drive a Macan or Cayenne. They drive better than any other SUV.

Go drive a Panamera. It drives better than any other sedan.

Go drive a Cayman or a 911. They drive better than almost any other sports car.

However, you pay for this experience. Porsches are priced in a unique niche. Just above the German "big three", but short of true exotic car territory (for the most part).

When I bought my Audi S6, it was a replacement for a Cayenne GTS. I do love the S6, but if I had it to do over, I would buy another Cayenne GTS.

In fact, it is probably fair for me to say, that going forward, it is not unreasonale that I will only own Porsche vehicles.
      05-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #34
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
As I said when comparing the M3 to my new Cayman GTS, The M3 is about as far as you can take a practical transport vehicle and make it perform, but a purpose built high-end sports car is a different matter.

Nevertheless, in all the cars they build, from the base Cayman all the way up the Panamera Turbo S, Porsche just hits the nail on the head better than anyone else in terms of functionality, luxury, styling and the proper amount of sportiness for the particular application. Nobody, in my experience can do this quite as well. Not Mercedes, BMW, or Audi.

However, you pay for this experience. Porsches are priced in a unique niche. Just above the German "big three", but short of true exotic car territory (for the most part).

When I bought my Audi S6, it was a replacement for a Cayenne GTS. I do love the S6, but if I had it to do over, I would buy another Cayenne GTS.

In fact, it is probably fair for me to say, that going forward, it is not unreasonale that I will only own Porsche vehicles.
+1.

They truly are engineered better than anything else on the road, and in every aspect, and that includes the 'true' exotics.

It's also the fact that you know the components will hold and and work over and over again...things like doing top speed and braking to a stop, launch control that is intuitive and will work as many times as you want without breaking, etc. I wouldn't dare try those thing in any other car without serious doubt of them working properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #35
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
As I said when comparing the M3 to my new Cayman GTS, The M3 is about as far as you can take a practical transport vehicle and make it perform,
Not really. There is always room for improvement.
Quote:
, Porsche just hits the nail on the head better than anyone else in terms of functionality, luxury, styling and the proper amount of sportiness for the particular application.
Styling?????? Are you kidding about that? .

Quote:
That doesn't say much. All modern SUVs are rubbish anyway. a minivan or station wagon is a far better car.

Quote:
Good, so you can make a quick getaway before any of your friends see you driving something so hideous.

Quote:
Drove a Cayman once. 987. Came out rather underwhelmed and unimpressed. I had a 2009 Nissan Z at the time, and the marginally better driving experience in the Cayman was far from good enough to justify the crazy premium they were asking. Not to mention the premium in maintenance and repairs for a Porsche. Or the fact that Caymans, Boxters and 911 are a bitch to work on yourself due to the lousy placement of the engine. Then again, maybe the 981 are better and good enough to justify the even crazier premiums Porsche asks for them.

Quote:
That's because Porsches are NOT exotic cars, no matter what their fanboys keep deluding themselves about. No one on earth would choose a 911 of any flavor over a 458 or Aventador if they were priced similarly, except maybe wolfinwolfsclothing

Quote:
I would much rather have a 4Runner over a Cayenne if I decided to get an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #36
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:

That doesn't say much. All modern SUVs are rubbish anyway. a minivan or station wagon is a far better car.

Good, so you can make a quick getaway before any of your friends see you driving something so hideous.

Drove a Cayman once. 987. Came out rather underwhelmed and unimpressed. I had a 2009 Nissan Z at the time, and the marginally better driving experience in the Cayman was far from good enough to justify the crazy premium they were asking. Not to mention the premium in maintenance and repairs for a Porsche. Or the fact that Caymans, Boxters and 911 are a bitch to work on yourself due to the lousy placement of the engine. Then again, maybe the 981 are better and good enough to justify the even crazier premiums Porsche asks for them.

That's because Porsches are NOT exotic cars, no matter what their fanboys keep deluding themselves about. No one on earth would choose a 911 of any flavor over a 458 or Aventador if they were priced similarly, except maybe wolfinwolfsclothing

So why don't you give some examples of cars you do like and why you like them. From most of your posts, you seem very critical of everything.

Last edited by LarThaL; 06-01-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #37
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep

Congrats!
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #38
MDREDev
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I placed a order with a local dealership in may in hopes to have the car for summer. my dealership said i was put on a waiting list for a allocation. i did the 1k deposit down and got a order number.

So here comes the last week to order 2015 corvettes ( late April), and i find out my local dealership is not able to get a allocation for my car. i had to switch to a bigger corvette dealership that is 40 mins away from me. my dad knows the owner also, and he told my father he can get a allocation. A order went out in late April and car should arrive 2 months after that. looking like late june.

I should already have the car, but had dealership problems as you can see. will for sure do a review.
That sucks man. Will keep an eye out for the review.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #39
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:

The GT4 is going to be for the Cayman what the 991 and its variants have been since they came out, terrorizing every other car because no one can match them.

This post did nothing but prove you are simply a Porsche hater and know NOTHING about cars. The fact that EVERY single car enthusiast and journalist can rave about how there isn't a car at any price point that handles better than a Cayman just shows how off base you are. I owned a cayman S and even bone stock would have guys who dumped tens of thousand into their M3s just stare in awe as I'd pass them over and over at the track.

Who cares if they're hard to work on? No mid or rear engined car is easy to work on.

If you want a car that will go to the track and back and dominate day in and day out, you'd better believe I'll take a GT Porsche over a 458 or Aventador. Funny, I have a friend who owns several Ferraris and GT Porsches and he will tell you every day the best of his cars are the GT2 RS and GT3.

If you want to turn heads, yea, a 458 or Aventador will do it a bit better than a 911, but then again, at that price point, a Carrera GT will one up them in turning heads and performance too...and that's despite it being over a decade old.

As far as the styling, the 991 is one of the best looking cars inside and out, and it sounds phenomenal too...wish I could say the same about my 2015 M3.

And just to reiterate, there isn't a sedan out there that drives as well as the Panamera nor an SUV that can truly contend with the Cayenne or Macan. Funny how the current Cayenne Turbo S even at close to 2.5 tons would school your M3 on the Nurburgring.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 06-01-2015 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #40
MDREDev
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Sorry man. You haven't a clue with a post like this. A minivan over a Cayenne? a 350 Z marginally better than a Cayman .. you can't say this with a straight face. These are some of the most ridiculous statements I have read on forums in years. You lose all credibility with that.

I've owned a ton of different cars (from various C6 Vettes to M3/M5's to Audi to 911 Porsche's and a CaymanS) so I am no fanboy of any particular brand. But Porsche makes some amazing vehicles and engineering is phenomenal. To make a blanket statement like you have does indeed indicate you are a Porsche hater. It's entirely fine if you don't like their styling, engine location, etc. but to say the load of crap that you have said here is nothing but simply hating on a certain brand.

Damn that lousy placement of an engine in the Cayman. Who in their right mind wants an engine in the middle of the car?

And by the way, I own a 4Runner Limited and while it may be more reliable than a Cayenne (and that is debatable) it is not a better SUV than a Cayenne. Not even in the same league. But I'm sure that doesn't matter to you as you would take the Sienna minivan over the Cayenne anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #41
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So why don't you give some examples of cars you do like and why you like them. From most of your posts, you seem very critical of everything.
I love McLaren, Ferrari. Pagani, Koeniggse, Z06, GTR, Viper, R8, Aston Martin, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
This post did nothing but prove you are simply a Porsche hater and know NOTHING about cars. The fact that EVERY single car enthusiast and journalist can rave about how there isn't a car at any price point that handles better than a Cayman just shows how off base you are. I owned a cayman S and even bone stock would have guys who dumped tens of thousand into their M3s just stare in awe as I'd pass them over and over at the track.

Who cares if they're hard to work on? No mid or rear engined car is easy to work on.

If you want a car that will go to the track and back and dominate day in and day out, you'd better believe I'll take a GT Porsche over a 458 or Aventador. Funny, I have a friend who owns several Ferraris and GT Porsches and he will tell you every day the best of his cars are the GT2 RS and GT3.

If you want to turn heads, yea, a 458 or Aventador will do it a bit better than a 911, but then again, at that price point, a Carrera GT will one up them in turning heads and performance too...and that's despite it being over a decade old.

As far as the styling, the 991 is one of the best looking cars inside and out, and it sounds phenomenal too...wish I could say the same about my 2015 M3.

And just to reiterate, there isn't a sedan out there that drives as well as the Panamera nor an SUV that can truly contend with the Cayenne or Macan. Funny how the current Cayenne Turbo S even at close to 2.5 tons would school your M3 on the Nurburgring.
seriously, does Porsche pay you to troll online forums and be their chief propagandist or are you a volunteer?

Quote:
Sorry man. You haven't a clue with a post like this. A minivan over a Cayenne? a 350 Z marginally better than a Cayman .. you can't say this with a straight face. These are some of the most ridiculous statements I have read on forums in years. You lose all credibility with that.

I've owned a ton of different cars (from various C6 Vettes to M3/M5's to Audi to 911 Porsche's and a CaymanS) so I am no fanboy of any particular brand. But Porsche makes some amazing vehicles and engineering is phenomenal. To make a blanket statement like you have does indeed indicate you are a Porsche hater. It's entirely fine if you don't like their styling, engine location, etc. but to say the load of crap that you have said here is nothing but simply hating on a certain brand.

Damn that lousy placement of an engine in the Cayman. Who in their right mind wants an engine in the middle of the car?

And by the way, I own a 4Runner Limited and while it may be more reliable than a Cayenne (and that is debatable) it is not a better SUV than a Cayenne. Not even in the same league. But I'm sure that doesn't matter to you as you would take the Sienna minivan over the Cayenne anyway
You lose all credibility by the fact that you can't read properly. I said the Cayman was marginally better than the 370z (NOT a 350z), but that the difference was hardly overwhelming or enough to justify the price.

YOu obviously don't have the slightest clue what an SUV is. A 4 Runner is a REAL SUV. If I wanted an SUV to use as god intended, I would take a 4runner. It can do actual offroading. It can tow stuff. It works great. If I wanted a people mover for a big family and a lot of luggage I would definitely get a Sienna that has way more passenger capacity than a Cayenne. A Cayenne, just like all of those ridiculous crossover SUVs, are useless poser mobiles for yuppies and soccer moms. They often have no more practicality or interior room than the average sedan or station wagon. Nor do they have any more offroad ability than an average sedan with bigger tires either.

There is absolutely NOTHING a cayenne can do that a sedan or station wagon cannot.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #42
MDREDev
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I love McLaren, Ferrari. Pagani, Koeniggse, Z06, GTR, Viper, R8, Aston Martin, etc.

seriously, does Porsche pay you to troll online forums and be their chief propagandist or are you a volunteer?

You lose all credibility by the fact that you can't read properly. I said the Cayman was marginally better than the 370z (NOT a 350z), but that the difference was hardly overwhelming or enough to justify the price.

YOu obviously don't have the slightest clue what an SUV is. A 4 Runner is a REAL SUV. If I wanted an SUV to use as god intended, I would take a 4runner. It can do actual offroading. It can tow stuff. It works great. If I wanted a people mover for a big family and a lot of luggage I would definitely get a Sienna that has way more passenger capacity than a Cayenne. A Cayenne, just like all of those ridiculous crossover SUVs, are useless poser mobiles for yuppies and soccer moms. They often have no more practicality or interior room than the average sedan or station wagon. Nor do they have any more offroad ability than an average sedan with bigger tires either.

There is absolutely NOTHING a cayenne can do that a sedan or station wagon cannot.
And your E92 is hardly overwhelming enough to select it over a Mustang GT. What's your point? The same as mine...to say that an E92 M3 is marginally better car than a Mustang GT is ludicrous. Much the same it is to say that a Porsche Cayman is marginally better than a Nissan 370Z.

I know plenty well what an SUV is for. It is for 6 hour rides to mountain and beach vacation spots while hauling lots of shit; my dog's taxi; trips to Home Depot; snow travel; sitting up higher than a sedan; hauling 4 people comfortably......all while looking 1,000 times better than any station wagon or god forbid a mini-van.

There are plenty of things a Cayenne can do that a mini-van or station wagon cannot but most importantly it does not look, drive or resemble a mini van or station wagon. Outside of an Avant there isn't a wagon out there that looks even remotely decent. A minivan? I'd rather walk. Have you ever towed anything weighing more than 3,500 lbs with a BMW 5 series or a Sienna? If you did, I question your intellect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #43
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

well, this thread has gone well.

ill add that we have an x5m (CPO, great price), and I freaking love it. it drives surprisingly well, is very useful and has a ton of utility for our dog and is fantastic for road trips like the one we just went on.

sure, a 4runner could do the same thing, but sometimes its nice to have a car that feels so solid and tracks as well and rides as well as an x5 or cayenne.

as for the 911, like I said in an earlier post im just in love with the new 911. ive driven multiple examples of the 997, including gt3 and turbo. while those are great, to me the 991s is better than all of them.

im also a huge fan of the look. unfortunately, for me, they are still out of my price range, but if I could swing it, it would be my top choice. im stuck in the c6 z06 / e92 m3 price bracket for my used weekend/good weather car im looking to add this winter (not that im complaining!).

im certain you will love the 911!
      06-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #44
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And your E92 is hardly overwhelming enough to select it over a Mustang GT. What's your point? The same as mine...to say that an E92 M3 is marginally better car than a Mustang GT is ludicrous. Much the same it is to say that a Porsche Cayman is marginally better than a Nissan 370Z.

I know plenty well what an SUV is for. It is for 6 hour rides to mountain and beach vacation spots while hauling lots of shit; my dog's taxi; trips to Home Depot; snow travel; sitting up higher than a sedan; hauling 4 people comfortably......all while looking 1,000 times better than any station wagon or god forbid a mini-van.

There are plenty of things a Cayenne can do that a mini-van or station wagon cannot but most importantly it does not look, drive or resemble a mini van or station wagon. Outside of an Avant there isn't a wagon out there that looks even remotely decent. A minivan? I'd rather walk. Have you ever towed anything weighing more than 3,500 lbs with a BMW 5 series or a Sienna? If you did, I question your intellect.
What makes you think I doubt the first point? The M3 is just marginally better than a Mustang, that's true. It has slightlly better feel and a nicer interior, and in sedan form a bit more practicality. But I wouldn't begrudge someone if they decided to save money and get a Mustang instead.

The rest of your argument boils down to looks. It's the whole I-am-too-insecure-to-be-seen-driving-a-minivan-or-wagon argument that I am sure is the real reason for this ridiculous SUV fad.

There are a lot of fantastic wagons out there. E63, CTS-V, RS4, 5 series (the E60 even had an M5 version). Yet people don't buy them. They go buy those ridiculous cayennes and macans and x6, x5, RX350, venza, q3, q5, etc.

I hope BMW grows a spine and offers M3 and M5 wagons. They will easily outperform and drive better than an SUV, while having as much practicality. But hey, I'm sure you'd rather walk than drive a 500 hp wagon
Appreciate 0