BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

09-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3

e90 LCI Boot Lid Options

What options are out there for a CSL style boot lid? The Vorsteiner E90 Sedan LCI Facelift VRS Aero Boot Lid looks like a great option, especially for the price of $895. I like the Challenge trunk but is it really worth the extra $1,000? I don't want any exposed carbon fiber, so id paint the whole trunk regardless Anyone seen both the Vortseiner and Challenge? What are the major differences? What other options are out there?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

The search function is your friend:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418515
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The search function is your friend:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418515
Yeah, i've seen this thread. But I'm looking for real world comparison and experiences. Most importantly, visual differences.....angle of the lip, etc. Side by side pics would be awesome too if anyone has em.

Last edited by GBX; 09-06-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I have the Challenge on order. It's different because the spoiler doesn't elevate but extends straight back. Some of the others just distort the flow lines and when I price compared, it was only a few hundred more for the challenge - plus the thing is LIGHT!! The last thing you want to do is get something you aren't happy with and later wish you had spent a few hundred more for something you'd rather have.

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 View Post
I have the Challenge on order. It's different because the spoiler doesn't elevate but extends straight back. Some of the others just distort the flow lines and when I price compared, it was only a few hundred more for the challenge - plus the thing is LIGHT!! The last thing you want to do is get something you aren't happy with and later wish you had spent a few hundred more for something you'd rather have.
agreed 100% but i really have no need to carbon fiber since i'll be paiting the whole trunk. When looking at the price of the Vorsteiner FRP at $895, its tough to justify the extra $1,000 for the Challenge. Any chance they'll make one in FRP? Also, have any side-by-side pics comparing those 2?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
What options are out there for a CSL style boot lid? The Vorsteiner E90 Sedan LCI Facelift VRS Aero Boot Lid looks like a great option, especially for the price of $895. I like the Challenge trunk but is it really worth the extra $1,000? I don't want any exposed carbon fiber, so id paint the whole trunk regardless Anyone seen both the Vortseiner and Challenge? What are the major differences? What other options are out there?
The Vorsteiner DVWP trunk is a good option for you since you're planning on getting it painted anyhow.

The fact of the matter is that Vorsteiner guarantees the fit/finish, which is something I'd love to see other manufacturers match. That alone should justify jumping on the VRS, IMHO.

As always to get more detailed information and other member's opinions, before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
The Vorsteiner DVWP trunk is a good option for you since you're planning on getting it painted anyhow.

The fact of the matter is that Vorsteiner guarantees the fit/finish, which is something I'd love to see other manufacturers match. That alone should justify jumping on the VRS, IMHO.

As always to get more detailed information and other member's opinions, before pulling the trigger.
got any good pics handy of the e90 trunk painted and installed? Multiple angles would be ideal! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

If you are looking for a CSL-style trunk, Vorsteiner is easily your best bet for reasons that JLevi have mentioned. The Challenge trunk is nice, but IMO does not necessarily qualify as a "CSL-style" unit - it is a much more unique, sweeping design.

If you are opting to paint the trunk entirely, the DVWP version should suit your needs just fine though I remain steadfast that the single-sided version is worth a look as well (mind the coupe photos).

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...n-p-75047.html

Shoot me a PM and we'll go over specifics so you know what I'm talking about!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
got any good pics handy of the e90 trunk painted and installed? Multiple angles would be ideal! Thanks!
Sure thing, here you go. Shoot me a PM if you'd like a price

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
GBX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Its tough to see how the trunk flows with the rest of the car. any pics from further back?

Also, this one seems to stick practically straight up. did Vorsteiner test for aerodynmaics? Any added wind noise?

Maybe i just like it better on the coupe....idk....

Last edited by GBX; 09-07-2010 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
I love how aggressive that Vorsteiner bootlid looks on the E90 LCI's... matches the aggressive rear fenders so well IMO

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #12
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
agreed 100% but i really have no need to carbon fiber since i'll be paiting the whole trunk. When looking at the price of the Vorsteiner FRP at $895, its tough to justify the extra $1,000 for the Challenge. Any chance they'll make one in FRP? Also, have any side-by-side pics comparing those 2?
They make an FRP and it's called the sport model (vs race)... still expensive, but still very light.

This thread has a lot of hi-res pics so let it load for a minute, then scroll down to the Atlantis metallic blue e90 and you'll see lots of angles of the challenge. The Vorsteiner is on the first red e90 (but with the old tail lamps) and you can see the very different csl style from different angles.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405430

If you like the Vorsteiner, you should check out the Karbonwerkes which has a less dramatic curve. I'm not sure how easy they are to get, though and are still a little more than the VRS.

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0