BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

03-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Off-cycle Oil Change and Complications

Saturday: Paid out of pocket ($295 including tax) for a low mileage oil change on Friday at South Bay BMW (I'm at 8,300 mi and BMW won't do complimentary until 15,000 mi.) Thanks to all you posters for recommending more oil changes than BMW's recommendation.

Was quite disappointed that after 15 mins of driving after pick-up, my "low engine oil" indicator was activated and prompted me to insert "1qt of engine oil" to prevent engine damage.

Took my car in today. Since my SA was off, showed this error message to couple other SA's. They subsequently poured 1 bottle of engine oil and handed me a bottle for the future. Drove off the lot, thought it was all resolved. Once I arrived home, a new error message told me my engine oil was at the minimum so I should add another 1qt. From looking at the gauge, looks like my car can take 3 or 4 more bottles to reach the maximum - not that I want to top off my engine oil, but just stating.

Will be heading back on Monday to ensure engine oil level is sufficient. Quite irritated that a should-be routine oil change will turn into 3 visits to the dealership, provided that I paid $295 (twice mkt. price) to go through South Bay, which is typically very reliable. Hope I can get 50% off my next out of pocket oil change, or something!

Monday Update: So... back at South Bay. Waiting on the troubleshooting w/ the out-of-pocket ($295 ) oil change which was performed on Friday.

One thing I've noticed since is that acceleration from a stop and rolling starts have been pretty abrupt until around 5-10mph; I've noticed this in various settings with the DCT, i.e. D3, S4, S5, etc. From the throttle response and sound, the feedback feels as if a beginner stick-shift driver is having issues with the clutch. Obviously, every case is different and it's difficult to convey it on a forum - but has anyone else faced similar issues?

My SA Alex C. says perhaps swapping the differential fluid could resolve.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Monday Update 2:

Complete diagnostic indicated that engine oil level was OK. They drained some and added some. It is indicated on a print out from the technician. Hope I do not keep witnessing a "add 1qt of engine oil" warning going forward.

Looks as if though I'll have to bring back the vehicle and drive with the tech for an inspection of the abraisive starts. Hopefully the tech, who is driving around as I type this will discover the issue!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I've written very specific posts about checking and topping off engine oil. You can search, but in summary:
-The hotter the oil, the more accurate the sensor is, so you need to check level with engine at full operating temperature (10 to 15 miles, depending on outside temperature).
- You CANNOT rely on reading car throws, as it's not consistent. Sensor is at REAR of engine main sump (there're 2), so you need to do a manual reset when car is idling at the same LEVEL spot (your garage would be perfect).
- When topping off, add 1/4L at a time until full.

Next time just tell dealer to add 8-1/2L and give you the remainder 1/2L bottle. When you get home, do the reset and add 1/4L until full. I don't want anybody driving my car 15 to 20 miles, but that's just me. How much to top off will depend how long oil was drained. If drained long enough (usually not the case with dealers), you can expect to add up to 9.3L, like in my case, so buy (or get) an extra quart. You'd also need it in case of oil consumption, which is normal on M3s. I also suck the filter housing dry, so I end up pouring 9.5L in my car. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 03-08-2011 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
My 10th BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I've written very specific posts about checking
- You CANNOT rely on reading car throws, as it's not consistent. Sensor is at REAR of engine main sump (there're 2), so you need to do a manual reset when car is idling at the same LEVEL spot (your garage would be perfect).
- When topping off, add 1/4L at a time until full.
Thank You, what is this manual reset You speak of ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 10th BMW View Post
Thank You, what is this manual reset You speak of ?
Scroll through the menu on the button on the turn signal stalk until you get to the oil level indicator. Hold the button down until it resets and then wait until you get a reading in the dash
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the helpful advice... I will definitely follow that as a guideline for my next oil change.

As for my complications...

They replaced the sensors as they discovered a defect. And as for the minor grinding and abrupt acceleration from 0, it was non-existent today. I will be scrutinizing how it drives for the next few days to ensure it does not become a recurring problem...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
My 10th BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Scroll through the menu on the button on the turn signal stalk until you get to the oil level indicator. Hold the button down until it resets and then wait until you get a reading in the dash
Thank You
Appreciate 0