BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

05-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
De_Oppresso_Liber
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

New EUROPEAN Performance Brakes job causes loud squeeking noises when braking

First post, please help. I had a German BMW dealer replace my US spec brake system (NOV 2013)with the European Performance Break System on my 2009 E 92 M3 (62Kmiles). The new kit from BMW came with Rotors, calipers, and harder brake pads. This was not the ceramic brake upgradeș just the Euro Perf Brakes which is not available for he US built for export cars (or so I was told by the Krauth BMW, Heidelberg (HD) Germany dealer).
I am very satisfied with the high speed barking from 260-280kmh braking on Autobahn, but very emabarrased by the - hey that guy needs a brake job - looks I get when braking for lights in the city...Quite loud, especially if I release brake pedal very slowly as one would one to just inch froward...
I brought this up to the dealer same day brakes were installed and was told that pads need to settle in first, of course, I understood so I gave it 1000 miles since..with no improvement! Becasue I moved from Heidelberg I could not easily go back to that dealer. One mechanic, At the perdodic inspection by our military registration renewal folks, said that the caliper piston where it touches the pads had no copper paste applied (it was dry). This was his own observation as he also noticed the heavy squeeking as test driving the car before driving it over he inspection ramp. Another BMW dealer in WIesbaden, said they would have to take appart the brakes to see if there was a problemș this is very costly labor alone, even wih our VAY forms used. This latter dealer (Bosch-Koch) also called the HD dealer who continued to say tha squeeking was normal at very low braking speeds... I want this noise gone, but cannot put the original BMW set up back on since I do not have the parts anymore (got screwed b first dealer who said it threw away my original parts when they repalced it with the performance brakes - a 3000 Euro job, about $5000. Have you heard of new brakes squeeking, and what is (if anyhing) I could do o check or fix this squeek - noise comes from all wheels equally
This is my first post here, actually ever, sorry for writing so much.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Did you bed them in properly?

From Stoptech on how to bed in new race brakes:

Bedding-in Club Race or Full Race Pads
For a typical performance brake system using race pads, the bed-in procedure must be somewhat more aggressive, as higher temperatures need to be reached, in order to bring certain brands of pad material up to their full race potential.
We typically recommend a set of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, followed immediately by three or four partial braking events, from 80mph down to 10mph. Alternately, a set of eleven stops, from 80mph to 40mph, or a set of seven stops, from 100mph to 50mph, would be approximately the same. As with street pads, each of the partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.
Again, depending on the make-up of the pad material, the brake friction will seem to gain slightly in performance, and will then lose or fade somewhat about halfway through the first set of stops. This does not indicate that the brakes are bedded-in, except where race-ready pads are being used. This phenomenon is the same as that which occurs with high-performance or street pads (except that, when race-ready pads are used, they do not exhibit green fade, and they will be bedded-in after just one complete set of stops).
As when bedding-in any set of brakes, care should be taken regarding the longer stopping distance necessary with incompletely bedded pads. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when the recommended number of stops has been performed - not before. As a general rule, it would be better to perform additional stops, than not enough. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied.
After cooling the vehicle, a second set of the recommended number of stops should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.
Racers will note that, when a pad is bedded-in properly, there will be approximately 2mm (0.1 inch) of the pad edge near the rotor, on which the paint will have turned to ash, or the color of the pad will have changed to look as though it has been overheated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
De_Oppresso_Liber
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

JIMK, wow, seems like a lot of steps. I will memorize is and go out one night to apply this technique on the autobahn. The technique calls for 11 stops from 80 to 40 mph or 7 stops 100 to 50 mph. I suppose this is not stops per say, just braking events, slow down to lower limit, 40 or 50 mph respectively, correct?
I have applied he brakes at various opportune times on the authobahn from 162mph to about 40mph a couple of times. I thought this would end the noises but not so. Can't wait to follow technique you described. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

The performance or sport pad (only avail in Europe) are track pads and will squeak. It's okay.

I use pagid yellow on the street (most likely the same pad as yours since it's owned by Tektar oem BMW supplier).

Cheers!

Lutfy
Appreciate 0