BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #45
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusM3 View Post
Thank you for contributing this thread by masquerading your opinion as fact. You buy CPO cars because you're cheap and don't care about color; others order Individual cars because they want to pay for something they like and enjoy.

Since you insist on quantifying your arguments, the color was actually worth $5K to me, because that was the extra cost of the Individual paint added to the price I paid. The brand new Individual build M3 with 0-5 miles on it, that I get to spec exactly to my personal preferences (try finding a moonroof on the lot, for example), and know that she's all mine and built just for me with every single option I wanted....yes, that's worth the remaining $25K which I paid, gladly, for the pleasure.

Maybe someday you'll experience that joy yourself. But if you don't, please remember, your view of other people's decisions is not a fact, it's simply a worthless opinion. Thanks.
Sorry man didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Its your money do what you want with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
Here's my translation of what's going on in their minds: How much of an asshole are you?

Most people, whatever their income, don't spend a lot on their car(s) -- especially if they have kids. They get the minivan, Subaru, Toyota, whatever, and judge you for not doing what they do. If you spent a lot, that makes you an asshole in their mind, especially if they're envious. If you didn't spend a lot and got value, that makes you smart, you beat The System. The lowball guess is a courtesy, especially since the car isn't flashy like a Lambo or big like an Expedition.

Layered on this is the attitude many people have that BMWs are somehow expensive and ostentatious, even if you get an old one. Some years ago, my friend bought an 8yo E39 530i for 15k, and people who were spending 30-45k on their minivans and SUVs were judging her for being indulgent. Tribal attitudes are very odd sometimes.
+1 Well said.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Sorry man didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Its your money do what you want with it.
Don't worry about my feelings; I have a brand new LSB M3 on the ocean coming to my house, nothing you can do or say can diminish that.

Your original quote in this thread was something to the effect of "I don't know why anyone would buy a new (i.e. non-CPO) M3." Since I took you at your word, I simply wanted to inform you why someone would do such a crazy, wild, expensive thing.

So I did so, and now you know. No harm, no foul.
      04-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #48
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
We (automotive enthusiasts) are the vast minority. Most people probably know what a BMW is, but guessing a small percentage even knows the difference between a 3-series and a 5-series, much less what an M3 is.
This is very true.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #49
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Don't worry about my feelings; I have a brand new LSB M3 on the ocean coming to my house, nothing you can do or say can diminish that.

Your original quote in this thread was something to the effect of "I don't know why anyone would buy a new (i.e. non-CPO) M3." Since I took you at your word, I simply wanted to inform you why someone would do such a crazy, wild, expensive thing.

Hope to see your LSB M3 around OC soon. I am in Irvine, Look out for my lowered SG E92.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #50
335igawnM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
lol that actually makes so much sense lol.
Why i bought an e90

just trolin
If you're trying to sell it you should sell it here in Germany. Contrary to belief e90 M3's are hard to get over here. I paid 50K for a 2011 with 25,000 miles on it. There was a waiting list of ppl ready for me to fall through.

I'm trolling as well...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

I am pretty sure a great condition E9x M 6MT will be hard to find in a few years, simply because those that have one will hold on to them.
      04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #52
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
The only person who has ever asked me how much my car costs was a valet. I didn't even answer him because I thought it was kind of rude. It did make me wonder if he was Ferris Buellering my car while I ate.
Dude you own a CPO, don't you know that means "ferris buellered". "Well depreciated". Don't make fun of people who bought new. They just prefer not to drive pre abused or garage queen barely driven to first oil change mileage.
      04-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #53
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

When I had my E46 M3 7 years ago, I used to pick up my GF after she finished work. The girls at her workplace said the 2003/2004 Mustang that one of the guys drove there was nicer than my BMW. I couldn't believe it. But to them, it's just another 3 series.:-/
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #54
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
I would. Knowing you have the last NEW e92 in lime rock or santorini blue paint is priceless. Not to mention full warranty
I guess a color is worth 30k to some people. I'm lucky I like black cars. CPO warranties are pretty good. Also who wants an E92? E90 RULE! thats why 2011 last good year haha
Black e90 is where it is! Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

this thread has taken a turn for the worst. The point is, people value their M3s at different levels. Some who put lower value on them buy pre-owned. Enough said.

OP original point is, he was talking to ppl who didn't know cars and severely undervalued even against market value...that's all.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #56
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3 View Post
Interesting... thanks. I guess mentally she will always be my 80k baby.

When I see other cars, (i.e., Audi R8), I think, wow that's a nice $120k car. Not wow that's a nice $80k car. SMH.
conversly, I always think, wow, that R8 is a nice $80k car.

I will never make a new purchase of any car that has a MSRP of over $30k
Someone has to - otherwise you're not buying anything
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #57
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #58
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
Quote:
Interesting... thanks. I guess mentally she will always be my 80k baby.

When I see other cars, (i.e., Audi R8), I think, wow that's a nice $120k car. Not wow that's a nice $80k car. SMH.
conversly, I always think, wow, that R8 is a nice $80k car.

I will never make a new purchase of any car that has a MSRP of over $30k
Someone has to - otherwise you're not buying anything
Pure truth.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #59
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Hope to see your LSB M3 around OC soon. I am in Irvine, Look out for my lowered SG E92.
Thank you sir; I am in Irvine as well.

Will you be going to MFEST? Looks like my car should get here just in time. Would be fun to caravan.
      04-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #60
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for contributing this thread by masquerading your opinion as fact. You buy CPO cars because you're cheap and don't care about color; others order Individual cars because they want to pay for something they like and enjoy.

Since you insist on quantifying your arguments, the color was actually worth $5K to me, because that was the extra cost of the Individual paint added to the price I paid. The brand new Individual build M3 with 0-5 miles on it, that I get to spec exactly to my personal preferences (try finding a moonroof on the lot, for example), and know that she's all mine and built just for me with every single option I wanted....yes, that's worth the remaining $25K which I paid, gladly, for the pleasure.

Maybe someday you'll experience that joy yourself. But if you don't, please remember, your view of other people's decisions is not a fact, it's simply a worthless opinion. Thanks.
Come on guy. A lot of us bought new decades ago and even within 5 years. FACT is we did what you did, learned from depreciation and moved on. Yes, we lost money and now a lot of us buy CPO cars. In reality it's the smarter move, regardless of what you or I think. You can keep on saying that but a lot of us have already "been there done that" and learned from that.

Not trying to be a dick here but I bought a $90,000 car built by me from the dealer. Now fast forward to 2013 and that car can be had for $40k or less. So what if I had 1 of 100 in that combo/color in 2002. Means nothing today, absolutely nothing.

Now lets get this back on topic and I will not debate what I know or have experienced over and over with my 15 owned cars since 1991.

Good day sir!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #61
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619
Quote:

Come on guy. A lot of us bought new decades ago and even within 5 years. FACT is we did what you did, learned from depreciation and moved on. Yes, we lost money and now a lot of us buy CPO cars. In reality it's the smarter move, regardless of what you or I think. You can keep on saying that but a lot of us have already "been there done that" and learned from that.

Not trying to be a dick here but I bought a $90,000 car built by me from the dealer. Now fast forward to 2013 and that car can be had for $40k or less. So what if I had 1 of 100 in that combo/color in 2002. Means nothing today, absolutely nothing.

Now lets get this back on topic and I will not debate what I know or have experienced over and over with my 15 owned cars since 1991.

Good day sir!
I think the point you are missing is getting the car you want, 100%. I could not find a used car like mine, and still can't today. This is the value for me whether I'm less intelligent than you or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #62
1MtoM3
HayZeus
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Sometimes , after I order a nice fucking meal , at a really nice place.....
I have severe remorse about what it was initially worth when it drops out of my ass and into the shitter.

MW E92 , Turner test pipes , Vorsteiner Titanium catback, TMS spacers, ESS remap , KW sleeves.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #63
Matterhorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis
Quote:
Now that the third person has asked how much my M3 cost, I tell them to guess and they lowball her at $40k.
Here's my translation of what's going on in their minds: How much of an asshole are you?

Most people, whatever their income, don't spend a lot on their car(s) -- especially if they have kids. They get the minivan, Subaru, Toyota, whatever, and judge you for not doing what they do. If you spent a lot, that makes you an asshole in their mind, especially if they're envious. If you didn't spend a lot and got value, that makes you smart, you beat The System. The lowball guess is a courtesy, especially since the car isn't flashy like a Lambo or big like an Expedition.

Layered on this is the attitude many people have that BMWs are somehow expensive and ostentatious, even if you get an old one. Some years ago, my friend bought an 8yo E39 530i for 15k, and people who were spending 30-45k on their minivans and SUVs were judging her for being indulgent. Tribal attitudes are very odd sometimes.
This reminds me of a few years back when I bought a 4 years old E46 325i for 15k and people at work were saying I drive the most expensive car in the parking lot when in fact some of the SUV's there cost over 40k..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #64
Tanz_S65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT

I just ordered a M3, and now that people at work are spreading the news the first question I get is about the price...somehow people lose any tact they may hold that keeps them from asking ones salary, or home price but feel the price of a car is fair game. After I give them a broad ball park they guess the monthly payment and make a statement about how I could have two cars for what I'm paying...

I don't even try to explain the masterpiece that these cars are anymore because it's something that you can't fully grasp until you drive or own one. Non-car and especially non-BMW people will never understand how we value these cars.

The good thing is, if having the "burden" of people understating the value of our M3's is our biggest problem then life won't be too bad

Btw, I sprung for individual paint too because I enjoy distinguishing myself from the crowd as much as a CPO buyer probably enjoys saving the depreciation. All a matter of personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #65
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanz_S65 View Post
......Btw, I sprung for individual paint too because I enjoy distinguishing myself from the crowd as much as a CPO buyer probably enjoys saving the depreciation. All a matter of personal preference.
well, said....BTW, what color did you get?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #66
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post

Good day sir!
Come on, guy. Yes, my car will depreciate. Yes, it will be worth way, way, less in a few years. I learned basic finance years ago, thank you. In fact, I said that originally and I simply don't care. Did you not miss my post earlier in this thread where I pointed out to OP that many E92s are really $40K cars in perfect condition? Would I say that if I was ignorant of the concept of depreciation? Or someone who cares?

I'm happy you've owned 15 cars, but the fact is that the one car I want wasn't available CPO. So yeah, I bought a car that will lose more money because I wanted to buy the car. That's how I choose to spend my money. I don't care what you do with yours. Okay?

Now let's get back on topic and stop trying to poke our nose in other people's financial business.